Open TigerLinks

PAC 12 Ref Targeted Sean Miller
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The next time fans or media automatically dismiss the idea that refs hold grudges or bias against certain teams or coaches should keep the below article in mind:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...l/21989633
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 05:30 PM by Tiger1983.)
04-02-2013 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

twcoleman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of M
RE: PAC 12 Ref Targeted Sean Miller
How tone deaf is the Pac12? Even if this was a "joke" (and it doesn't seem likely), wouldn't they care at least about the appearance of impropriety?
04-02-2013 02:59 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
If a coach is acting like a complete butthole, I don't think a supervisor should be kicked to the curb for suggesting that his officials have some backbone.

The way he did it was inappropriate, but I am sure the officials knew what he meant.

There is no getting around it though, and I am certain in this politically correct society in which we live he will get whacked.

It does strike me though that in basketball, officials can T somebody fairly quickly. In college football or pro football there is never any unsportsmanlike conduct for the way a coach speaks to an official. Division I coaches can now pretty much call an official a mo**** fu**** and it is ignored.
04-02-2013 03:40 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2013 03:40 PM)MGR Wrote:  If a coach is acting like a complete butthole, I don't think a supervisor should be kicked to the curb for suggesting that his officials have some backbone.

The way he did it was inappropriate, but I am sure the officials knew what he meant.

There is no getting around it though, and I am certain in this politically correct society in which we live he will get whacked.

It does strike me though that in basketball, officials can T somebody fairly quickly. In college football or pro football there is never any unsportsmanlike conduct for the way a coach speaks to an official. Division I coaches can now pretty much call an official a mo**** fu**** and it is ignored.

Bigger field, not as closed-in, doesn't have to be as incessant and omnipresent as a bball court. I have seen unsportsmanlike conduct on coaches, but it is rare because they can get it out of their systemN and 90 percent of the stadium won't hear it.
04-02-2013 03:55 PM
Advertisement

kabluey Offline
Heisman

But with the topic at hand, how can ANY PAC team trust the officials? Dude has to go.
04-02-2013 03:58 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
A joke is only doing this once. When you do it multiple times...it isn't a joke.
04-02-2013 05:49 PM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
Tip of the iceberg folks

When you see something really odd, like officials have been told what to think, are you going to ridicule the idea going forward, as if "that would never happen?"
04-03-2013 12:10 AM
Advertisement

BARTLETTTIGER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers/Cards
(04-02-2013 03:55 PM)kabluey Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 03:40 PM)MGR Wrote:  If a coach is acting like a complete butthole, I don't think a supervisor should be kicked to the curb for suggesting that his officials have some backbone.

Bigger field, not as closed-in, doesn't have to be as incessant and omnipresent as a bball court. I have seen unsportsmanlike conduct on coaches, but it is rare because they can get it out of their systemN and 90 percent of the stadium won't hear it.
How do people know that this is not just simply a smear campaign against supervisor of officials Ed Rush in Pac 12? I think people should wait until the full story comes out and try to change the way refs officiate a game.
04-03-2013 05:35 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-03-2013 05:35 AM)BARTLETTTIGER Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 03:55 PM)kabluey Wrote:  

How do people know that this is not just simply a smear campaign against supervisor of officials Ed Rush in Pac 12? I think people should wait until the full story comes out and try to change the way refs officiate a game.

I believe the facts are well established. The issue is whether his statement (made at least twice) was meant as a joke and the appropriate level of discipline given by the PAC 12 Commissioner. It is also known that a questionable technical was called on Miller after the meeting that was a significant factor in UCLA's victory over AZ.

The integrity of the game is at stake when refs fail to act impartially and this matter should not be sweep under the rug.
04-03-2013 07:24 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
From rush's wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_T._Rush

Rush became the NBA's director of officiating in 1998, and served in that position until 2003, when he was succeeded by Ronnie Nunn.

Ed Rush's competence has been questioned previously. In 2002, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stated, “Ed Rush might have been a great ref, but I wouldn’t hire him to manage a Dairy Queen. His interest is not in the integrity of the game or improving the officiating.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they can prove this happened without any doubts, ed rush and michael irving should be fired and never referee a college or pro game again.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 08:13 AM by tmoneyinmphs.)
04-03-2013 08:12 AM
Advertisement

sparkomemphis Offline
member of UofM Atl alumni club.

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGSkunkworksDonatorsDonators
Here is a thread from message board for Basketball officials

http://forum.officiating.com/basketball/...cla-8.html

One post
Quote:But the situation with the Big 12 also caused some controversy but that supervisor assigned 4 leagues. So there was some people rumbling when he took over. A lot more people were affected by that change than anywhere else I can think of.

C-USA is one of those leagues and the assigner is Curtis Shaw.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketball/...post888908
04-03-2013 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
(04-02-2013 05:49 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  A joke is only doing this once. When you do it multiple times...it isn't a joke.

According to Pac 12 referees this wasn't a joke. Referees told Andy Katz that Rush banged a chair up and down in a pregame meeting and told them to call a technical on Sean Miller. I've been saying for several seasons some of these NCAA refs are craving the limelight so much they want to inject themselves into the game even to the point of affecting the outcome. NCAA basketball officials need more oversight from "honest" overseerers, not someone like Ed Rush.
04-04-2013 11:25 PM
BARTLETTTIGER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers/Cards
(04-04-2013 11:25 PM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 05:49 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  A joke is only doing this once. When you do it multiple times...it isn't a joke.

According to Pac 12 referees this wasn't a joke. Referees told Andy Katz that Rush banged a chair up and down in a pregame meeting and told them to call a technical on Sean Miller. I've been saying for several seasons some of these NCAA refs are craving the limelight so much they want to inject themselves into the game even to the point of affecting the outcome. NCAA basketball officials need more oversight from "honest" overseerers, not someone like Ed Rush.
So now that Ed Rush resigned his position as supervisor of officials for the Pac-12, how can basketball at all levels officiating be more consistent? It is horrible to watch a basketball game and now one of the most important is to see who are refs in that game.
04-05-2013 07:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.