Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS: Why Can’t NIU Football Draw A Crowd In DeKalb?
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
CBS: Why Can’t NIU Football Draw A Crowd In DeKalb?
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/27/w...in-dekalb/

LOL it seems they used this board for the main research for the article!
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 04:30 PM by HuskieJohn.)
12-27-2012 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: CBS: Why Can’t NIU Football Draw A Crowd In DeKalb?
The FCS game scheduling has been ridiculous. There is no reason we can't bring in ISU, WIU, EIU or SIU every year.
12-27-2012 04:32 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Pretty good article.

And great question... *sigh*
12-27-2012 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2012 04:32 PM)armour248 Wrote:  The FCS game scheduling has been ridiculous. There is no reason we can't bring in ISU, WIU, EIU or SIU every year.

EIU opening day next year.

All the instate FCS schools are booked in 2014 already.
12-27-2012 04:33 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
look at all the problems....

1) apathetic student body
2) apathetic alumni body
3) apathetic community

in my eyes, it is all because a culture of embracing football at the university as a source of pride has never been fully established. there have been fits and starts, but it has to be a consistent effort.
12-27-2012 04:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-27-2012 04:47 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  look at all the problems....

2) apathetic alumni body
3) apathetic community

in my eyes, it is all because a culture of embracing football at the university as a source of pride has never been fully established. there have been fits and starts, but it has to be a consistent effort.

The idea of embracing anything as a source of pride has never been fully established.
12-27-2012 04:50 PM
Advertisement

BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(12-27-2012 04:50 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 04:47 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  look at all the problems....

2) apathetic alumni body
3) apathetic community

The idea of embracing anything as a source of pride has never been fully established.

It was for a few years during Novak's tenure. '03 and '04 were great seasons for attendance. Problem was, from '05 to '09 the teams were average at best. We had great players, but the results weren't there to stimulate people's interest.

Having the big games on weeknights, as he mentioned, doesn't help either. The students have shown up for those games, particularly the late season games against Toledo, but it's hard for alumni and other older fans to get here and then have to go to work the next morning.
12-27-2012 04:54 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
There's a huge difference between Tue/Wed games and Thur night games. Crowds would show for Thur night games. The MAC needs to get those back
12-27-2012 05:03 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Why is Thursday better? Most people have to work on Friday too.
12-27-2012 05:12 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2012 04:33 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 04:32 PM)armour248 Wrote:  The FCS game scheduling has been ridiculous. There is no reason we can't bring in ISU, WIU, EIU or SIU every year.

EIU opening day next year.

All the instate FCS schools are booked in 2014 already.

The fact they are all booked in 2014 is ridiculous, how do we let that happen? How are we not their first choice outside of UofI or Northwestern? They can't all be playing the Illini.

You'd think every FCS program in the state would want to play us as often as they could. Just like we would love to play UofI or Northwestern every year.
12-27-2012 05:14 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(12-27-2012 05:12 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Why is Thursday better? Most people have to work on Friday too.

Not too many students have Friday classes and people are a lot more willing to take a Friday off of work compared to a random day in the middle of the week.
Would it make for an astronomical difference in attendance? Absolutely not, but it would definitely contribute to more fans in the stands.
12-27-2012 05:18 PM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(12-27-2012 05:18 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 05:12 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Why is Thursday better? Most people have to work on Friday too.

Not too many students have Friday classes and people are a lot more willing to take a Friday off of work compared to a random day in the middle of the week.
Would it make for an astronomical difference in attendance? Absolutely not, but it would definitely contribute to more fans in the stands.

Excellent points.

We would get better crowds on Thursday nights.
12-27-2012 05:20 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(12-27-2012 05:18 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  

+1 take Friday off, enjoy game on Thursday night, then have a long weekend.
12-27-2012 05:21 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I would like to have seen some notes as well about how attendance is down across the country, and how is there not one freaking comment in the article about the cost of going to game in a recession? It may not be a toe-curling cost, but it is an outlay in an economy that is not really supportive of extraneous spending. And it is an interesting comment re: NU and kids not going to school to watch sports; kids aren't going to NIU to watch sports either.

There is more to this. I am not sure what the answer is but.......
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 05:31 PM by Lord Stanley.)
12-27-2012 05:21 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

It's much easier to be tired, dragging through work on Friday than it is on Wednesday and know you have two more days to work before you can finally catch up on your sleep.

Expectations are a bit lower at most offices on a Friday, and you only have to make it through that one day and then you're to the weekend.

The work place is just very different on Friday's for a of people depending where you work. Casual wear, potluck lunches, early leave times, happy Hour, No-meeting Friday's, etc..
12-27-2012 05:23 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I just think the difference would be minimal, except maybe for students. Certainly it isn't the main problem.

First of all, any games during the week are less than ideal for attendance. Secondly, the media most of the time treats us like we're division II. And then they act surprised that people don't know how good NIU has been.

I don't agree with the comment in the article about NIU not having been good as a reason for bad attendance. We've been at least decent for 10 years, except 1 year, and the last 3 years have been phenomenal but attendance hasn't gone up.
12-27-2012 06:21 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
How about 3 or 4 good, Saturday home games in one season, with nice weather and 1-2 p.m. start times, then lets talk.
12-27-2012 06:50 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

More students would show up because who cares about Friday classes.

More recent grads would show up because they still have the who cares about Friday classes additude for work.

That is about it. But overall it WOULD improve attendance for the November weeknight games.
12-27-2012 09:09 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(12-27-2012 09:09 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

More students would show up because who cares about Friday classes.

More recent grads would show up because they still have the who cares about Friday classes additude for work.

That is about it. But overall it WOULD improve attendance for the November weeknight games.

Maybe. But Thursday night is now NFL football night. So we'll get fewer viewers, and probably some casual NIU fans would be watching the NFL instead.
12-27-2012 09:42 PM
run24niu Offline
Bench Warmer

Personally, I'd like to see us play more games against ISU since my sister seems to think they have a better Business school than we do. It could even the score..05-mafia
12-28-2012 01:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.