Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SIR: Updated Aresco Interview
dcpirate89 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Carolina
SIR: Updated Aresco Interview
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/pl...j5ri8z_y9p

Looks like he is working the plan...TV Contract, Locking in Leftovers, etc.
12-19-2012 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: SIR: Updated Aresco Interview
Wow. The tone from Aresco is completely different and very subdued. He had been out there being very aggressive in salesman and PR mode throughout the football season, but this was pretty somber. He says that the league "deserves a good TV contract and I think we'll get it", yet he doesn't sound like he believes it (whereas 2 months ago he seemed to completely believe it in his presentation).
12-19-2012 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(12-19-2012 01:38 PM)dcpirate89 Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/pl...j5ri8z_y9p

Looks like he is working the plan...TV Contract, Locking in Leftovers, etc.

That's one of the working subtitles for the league.

BIG EAST - The Southern Cluster

or

BIG EAST - Locking in the Leftovers

I prefer the first one, but the second may be more appropriate.

04-cheers
12-19-2012 01:55 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-19-2012 01:55 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Wow. The tone from Aresco is completely different and very subdued. He had been out there being very aggressive in salesman and PR mode throughout the football season, but this was pretty somber. He says that the league "deserves a good TV contract and I think we'll get it", yet he doesn't sound like he believes it (whereas 2 months ago he seemed to completely believe it in his presentation).

He has no choice but to show great reflection over realignment and the departure of the basketball schools.
If he were to appear oblivious, than he would be seen as more a salesman than a leader.
It was an appropriate tone/pitch under the circumstances. The Big East needs to ride out this latest wave and then start making their appeal. Perhaps add the Western schools, and show the country their new vision.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 02:04 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-19-2012 02:00 PM
dcpirate89 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Carolina
He is making the best of what is left. No choice but to forge ahead. Having a All-Sports Conference that covers multiple time zones will be of value (TV Viewers around the clock) and as we have heard it will likely result in a ESPN/CBS/Yahoo hybrid scenario to maximize dollars. One thing is for sure, all of the BE associated teams are getting press and TV coverage these days whether good or bad. Exposure is exposure. We all have Big East Lash!
12-19-2012 02:19 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
NBC
12-19-2012 02:25 PM
Advertisement

monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(12-19-2012 01:55 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Wow. The tone from Aresco is completely different and very subdued. He had been out there being very aggressive in salesman and PR mode throughout the football season, but this was pretty somber. He says that the league "deserves a good TV contract and I think we'll get it", yet he doesn't sound like he believes it (whereas 2 months ago he seemed to completely believe it in his presentation).

Yup. Particularity after he spends the first half of the interview explaining how everything went to S.
12-19-2012 02:34 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Spot on Frank! Aresco is going to be lucky, if he can keep his job! 07-coffee3
12-19-2012 02:37 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-19-2012 02:37 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

ROFL!

The only 'spot on Frank' are the brown stains from your coffee as the two of you get frisky with each other.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 02:42 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-19-2012 02:41 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(12-19-2012 02:25 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  NBC

The most accurate posts on this board are usually short and to the point.

03-cool
12-19-2012 02:51 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Seriously, all you people who are no longer associated with the nBE just need to STHU. We don't need any help figuring out that things aren't going well. Unless you want to discuss nBE alternatives moving forward, kindly go elsewhere and talk about the ACC , C7, etc.
12-19-2012 02:53 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

We are associated until you let us go!05-stirthepot
12-19-2012 02:55 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-19-2012 02:55 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  We are associated until you let us go!05-stirthepot

"spot on Frank..." 03-shhhh

[Image: jizz.jpg]

03-lmfao

Don't blast me, man. I'm a VIP.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 02:59 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-19-2012 02:57 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
I thought that his comments were realistic, to the point, and addressed the real world that he and our universities are living in.
12-19-2012 02:59 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(12-19-2012 02:14 PM)Time4Reason Wrote:  Reading way too much into this.

There is no way to paint this as a positive for the Big East. Everyone in college athletics got blindsided by the Maryland news.

Aresco was straightforward and honest, and I'm sure he's working every day to get the best deal possible for the Big East.

Yup. The Big East losing UConn or Louisville was predicted all over the place. The Big Ten grabbing schools was not. Sure, there were people who predicted it, but not nearly as many or as often.
12-19-2012 03:03 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

Would you rather him spew obvious crap? At this point he can't win because if he's optimistic people will call him crazy and if he's realistic people will say it's all doom and gloom and he doesn't believe in the league anymore.
12-19-2012 03:04 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

No clue why I'd even ask but what specifically has Aresco done that would make him deserve to lose his job? Not be able to keep Louisville and Rutgers?
12-19-2012 03:08 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-19-2012 03:04 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Would you rather him spew obvious crap? At this point he can't win because if he's optimistic people will call him crazy and if he's realistic people will say it's all doom and gloom and he doesn't believe in the league anymore.

No, I always prefer honesty, but he was pretty consistent on being unwaveringly optimistic even after the Rutgers and Louisville defections. This C-7 split seems different. It's really the first interview that I've seen from him where he has really changed his tone. My guess is that there simply wasn't anything that he could do to prevent Rutgers from leaving for the Big Ten (and then subsequently have the ACC raid the Big East to replace Maryland), so he didn't take it personally. He probably doesn't feel the same way about the C-7 split, though, where there are probably things that he looks at and believes he should have done differently (e.g. better communication, more vetting of expansion candidates such as Tulane, etc.). The Big Ten and ACC raids seemed to be external forces out of Aresco's control, but keeping the C-7 from splitting off had to do with more internal issues (which were exacerbated by the external raids).
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 03:17 PM by Frank the Tank.)
12-19-2012 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(12-19-2012 03:08 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

No clue why I'd even ask but what specifically has Aresco done that would make him deserve to lose his job? Not be able to keep Louisville and Rutgers?

If you want to keep him, its good with me. I expressed my opinion but is not my call. Good luck. 04-cheers
12-19-2012 03:17 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(12-19-2012 03:08 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Not so long ago posters on this board were staking their credibility on Aresco's ability to fart rainbows and $#!+ money. He has been a huge disappointment by their standards.
12-19-2012 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.