Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgetown next to leave Big East?
PT2012 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Myself
Georgetown next to leave Big East?
There was talk at halftime of the Nova/St Joe's game about Georgetown trying to get out and they may have a way out. The ACC is or has talked with the thought of bringing Georgetown, a highly respected academic school, in as a non football member to go with Notre Dame. I honestly think this will be the next major departure of the Big East.
12-11-2012 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
RE: Georgetown next to leave Big East?
Death blow to the Big East if it happens.
12-11-2012 11:26 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
They should do that. When the ACC gets picked apart by the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC, we will see how they like it. By that point in time the ACC and Big East will probably have to merge together for both to try to survive.
12-11-2012 11:26 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Supposedly the ACC presidents are livid with UMD. Georgetown could be added to the ACC out of spite.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 11:38 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
12-11-2012 11:30 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-11-2012 11:24 PM)PT2012 Wrote:  There was talk at halftime of the Nova/St Joe's game about Georgetown trying to get out and they may have a way out. The ACC is or has talked with the thought of bringing Georgetown, a highly respected academic school, in as a non football member to go with Notre Dame. I honestly think this will be the next major departure of the Big East.

Actually, I could easily see all 7 move. Depaul and Marquette would make great travel partners for Notre Dame. Georgetown, Villanova, St Johns, Seton Hall, and Providence would fit perfectly in the ACC's current footprint. Those additions would allow to the ACC to put a hammerlock on northeastern basketball. I woulndt be surprised if something along these lines happens. It would essentially reunite most of the original Big East.
12-11-2012 11:33 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(12-11-2012 11:30 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Supposedly the ACC presidents are livid with UMD. Georgetown could be added to the ACC out of spite. s

But that move might push the schools who care more about FB out the door. I think the ACC wants to keep it's FB powers happy before giving them more of an excuse to bail.
12-11-2012 11:33 PM
Advertisement

FULL_MONTY Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Huh, basketball means nothing. It is about football and markets. So knock yourselves out, move to the ACC.
12-11-2012 11:35 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
So the ACC's idea to try to stabilize itself is try to essentially become the Big East, a league that was never stable in part because of it's hybrid nature? Sounds like a great plan.
12-11-2012 11:38 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(12-11-2012 11:35 PM)FULL_MONTY Wrote:  Huh, basketball means nothing. It is about football and markets. So knock yourselves out, move to the ACC.

If that were the case, the football schools would've dipped out before the year 2000.
12-11-2012 11:40 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(12-11-2012 11:30 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Supposedly the ACC presidents are livid with UMD. Georgetown could be added to the ACC out of spite. s

So the ACC schools are livid at Maryland for leaving, but UConn should have turned the other cheek and "gotten over it" when BC, SU, and Pitt left the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 11:41 PM by UConn-SMU.)
12-11-2012 11:40 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(12-11-2012 11:24 PM)PT2012 Wrote:  There was talk at halftime of the Nova/St Joe's game about Georgetown trying to get out and they may have a way out. The ACC is or has talked with the thought of bringing Georgetown, a highly respected academic school, in as a non football member to go with Notre Dame. I honestly think this will be the next major departure of the Big East.

Just call them the Big East, this conference CUSA and the 2Pac, CUSA the Sun Belt, MWC the WAC and the Sun Belt should for ***** and giggles become the Mountain West
12-11-2012 11:41 PM
Advertisement

PT2012 Offline
Banned

Right now, the only power holding the Big East together is Connecticut and Cincinnati as full members and Georgetown as the non football member. Memphis and Temple are nice additions on the basketball side, but not enough to overcome the losses of Syracuse, West Virginia and now Louisville. If you're Temple or Memphis, you should be doing whatever you can to get with Cincinnati and Connecticut and form a bonding ally to get into the ACC as a group.
12-11-2012 11:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-11-2012 11:33 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

But that move might push the schools who care more about FB out the door. I think the ACC wants to keep it's FB powers happy before giving them more of an excuse to bail.

Nah. The basketball schools add basketball punch but dont hurt football. Its kinda like how the basketball schools think of football onlys. Its not a huge concern as they will not affect the basketball quality in any way.
12-11-2012 11:42 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-11-2012 11:40 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

So the ACC schools are livid at Maryland for leaving, but UConn should have turned the other cheek and "gotten over it" when BC, SU, and Pitt left the Big East.

There's a big difference there.

UConn was bitter towards another conference.

The ACC is bitter towards a departing member.
12-11-2012 11:44 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think in some ways, the fb schools with the ACC would be ok with it because it keeps the ACC name in the DC market- impacting recruiting along with tv of course....
12-11-2012 11:46 PM
PT2012 Offline
Banned

Adding Tulane for all sports was a big mistake on the Big East's part. Right now, the Big East is in survival mode and will take whoever they feel can help them. But the truth is, there's nobody left that can help them. The conference is being held together by life support.
12-11-2012 11:47 PM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(12-11-2012 11:47 PM)PT2012 Wrote:  Adding Tulane for all sports was a big mistake on the Big East's part. Right now, the Big East is in survival mode and will take whoever they feel can help them. But the truth is, there's nobody left that can help them. The conference is being held together by life support.

Who made that decision?
12-12-2012 12:02 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
for the then cyo6 it's devastating. You'd have a declining Villanova team, a decent Marquette team, and then 4 others that have 1 unit in the last 6 years. The question I think then becomes does that have enough power to raid the A10? And, even if able to, how low would the tv money be, and would it be worth it? They might then be forced to stick with the nbe quite frankly...
12-12-2012 12:57 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-11-2012 11:26 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  They should do that. When the ACC gets picked apart by the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC, we will see how they like it. By that point in time the ACC and Big East will probably have to merge together for both to try to survive.

1. If the reports of the ND rework are true in regards to the ESPN TV Deal than it becomes a lot less likely that any of the ACC Schools are going anywhere. Plus, odds are they are going to get @ minimum the majority of the $50 Million in exit fees from Maryland.

2. Doubt the Football schools would care for the simple fact Georgetown is not going to hurt their SOS since they don't play football. Also, Georgetown would fill the hole now in the Baltimore/DC Market and it doesn't hurt that it would reunite the Georgetown-Syracuse rivalry.
12-12-2012 06:01 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(12-12-2012 06:01 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 11:26 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  They should do that. When the ACC gets picked apart by the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC, we will see how they like it. By that point in time the ACC and Big East will probably have to merge together for both to try to survive.

1. If the reports of the ND rework are true in regards to the ESPN TV Deal than it becomes a lot less likely that any of the ACC Schools are going anywhere. Plus, odds are they are going to get @ minimum the majority of the $50 Million in exit fees from Maryland.

2. Doubt the Football schools would care for the simple fact Georgetown is not going to hurt their SOS since they don't play football. Also, Georgetown would fill the hole now in the Baltimore/DC Market and it doesn't hurt that it would reunite the Georgetown-Syracuse rivalry.

A non-FB playing member is not going to change the crap contract they have now. They are making 13 mil next year. They are not going to get an extra 5 mil per team just because ND is playing BBall and a few FB games in the ACC.
12-12-2012 06:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.