Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blaudschun: BE non-FB schools have an airport meeting
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Blaudschun: BE non-FB schools have an airport meeting
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4188

Quote:In what could be the first step towards the collapse of the Big East football/basketball structure, officials of the 7 non-football playing Big East basketball schools held a meeting in New York on Monday to discuss breaking off on their own. According to sources familiar with the talks, the conference included not only athletic directors, but Presidents as well. A time frame of six months was set up to make a decision whether to break off on their own or continue to stay within the frame work of a conference whose configuration has changed steadily over the last several months. That time frame may be predicated on the nature of a new television football/basketball contract the Big East is currently trying to put together.
12-10-2012 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Blaudschun: BE non-FB schools have an airport meeting
If the TV deal is not enough to satisfy everyone than my guess is Boise & SDSU head back to the MWC...now the Eastern Schools should just form their own league or if they can somehow come under the umbrella of maybe the WAC?

I don't know, but this can get messy for ECU, Memphis, Temple, Tulane etc, etc.
12-10-2012 11:09 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Perhaps some of the new faces aren't getting the hint to go back to their old homes. If these schools are willing to possibly give up the Big East credits then that very well may mean they dont want to bother with out waiting the other schools. They would most likely get an NCAA exemption so that they have an autobid the very first year of their new conference.
12-10-2012 11:11 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(12-10-2012 11:09 PM)Maize Wrote:  If the TV deal is not enough to satisfy everyone than my guess is Boise & SDSU head back to the MWC...now the Eastern Schools should just form their own league or if they can somehow come under the umbrella of maybe the WAC?

I don't know, but this can get messy for ECU, Memphis, Temple, Tulane etc, etc.

No WAC. Just a totally new conference for BB. They could make that happen and others would join a setup like that...
12-10-2012 11:13 PM
Villecard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
If I'm the remaining BE-only schools, I approach Xavier, Butler, Dayton.
12-10-2012 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I have to think this is a bluff to get a bigger share of the TV deal. The non-FB schools hold a 7-3 majority (7-4 if Temple has full voting rights) until July 1. That might be enough to dissolve the conference, but not enough to expel members. Dissolving the conference is a losing proposition for them. They would lose millions in NCAA tournament credits and exit fees, and would not be able to get anywhere near the TV deal without football that they could with football.
12-10-2012 11:23 PM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

Well, now:
Quote:Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel

Big East BB schools meeting in NYC today wasn't secret. Commissioner Mike Aresco was there to answer questions, discuss future.

Maybe this isn't as clandestine as we were lead to believe.
12-10-2012 11:25 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
Big East BB schools meeting in NYC today wasn't secret. Commissioner Mike Aresco was there to answer questions, discuss future.
12-10-2012 11:28 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-10-2012 11:23 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I have to think this is a bluff to get a bigger share of the TV deal. The non-FB schools hold a 7-3 majority (7-4 if Temple has full voting rights) until July 1. That might be enough to dissolve the conference, but not enough to expel members. Dissolving the conference is a losing proposition for them. They would lose millions in NCAA tournament credits and exit fees, and would not be able to get anywhere near the TV deal without football that they could with football.

It's a move to get a fair share of the TV deal, not necessarily a bluff.

The message is, We're outta here if the league underpays the no-football schools in order to overpay the football schools.
12-10-2012 11:29 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
If the b/b schools decide to leave that could be a blessing in disguise for the nBE schools. At least they can continue as a conference where all the members have the same goals and interest. Something the old Big East never had. The nBE will still better then C-USA, Mtn West, Sun Belt, & MAC.
12-10-2012 11:29 PM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
(12-10-2012 11:25 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Well, now:
Quote:Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel

Maybe this isn't as clandestine as we were lead to believe.

Maybe he wants the commissioner job.
12-10-2012 11:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
UC, UConn, Temple and USF stay in BE for olympic sports.

Start a nation wide FB only conference from scratch. UC, Boise, UConn
and USF anchor the league. Add usual suspects UCF, ECU, AF, Navy etc.

A true best of the rest league.
12-10-2012 11:40 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
It also appears that the Catholic schools want to play more hoops games vs. each other even if they stay in the BE:

Quote:The Big East tried to avoid the breakaway by telling the Catholic schools it wanted to set up “mirror” games against its other Catholic rivals, meaning a home and home series among the 7 Catholic Schools. Whether that will be enough to keep the conference together is uncertain.

A split would be good news for ECU because they would, presumably, be a full member of a new league that included the football schools, that would be: UConn, Temple, ECU, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston, and maybe Navy/Boise/SDSU as FB-onlies.
12-10-2012 11:43 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(12-10-2012 11:40 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  UC, UConn, Temple and USF stay in BE for olympic sports.

Start a nation wide FB only conference from scratch. UC, Boise, UConn
and USF anchor the league. Add usual suspects UCF, ECU, AF, Navy etc.

A true best of the rest league.

Forget the failed nationwide model. Start over with UC, USF, UCF, ECU, UConn, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, SMU and Temple in an all sports conference, whether it's called the Big East or not. Add Tulsa and USM for a 12-team base. No exit fees because they all understand that they would all move up to a Big 4/5 conference if asked. Remove the hammer and tension that comes with realignment and if someone gets invited to the BIG XII or ACC and wants to go, wish them well and backfill with Marshall, Rice or whoever. No more pretense that the conference is anything more than a CUSA redux.
12-10-2012 11:54 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I don't know when the nationwide conference "failed."

You need as many names and good teams to make this conference get a reasonable tv deal. If you don't why bother? Make the best conference you can. Sorry, Tulane doesn't cut it.

Most likely the BB teams will leave (if they do) if/when UC & UConn leave. Every team (other than Rutgers) has been a very good BB team that has left. Lose anymore, what is the point for them anymore?
12-11-2012 12:03 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It's only a matter of weeks before ACC poaches UCONN, Cincy, Temple/USF from Big East
12-11-2012 12:07 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
If I were them I'd split too. Let's see would I rather play SMU, Houston and UCF or Xaiver, Dayton, Butler or VCU? God I can only hope UC gets out of this mess.
12-11-2012 12:11 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(12-11-2012 12:11 AM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  If I were them I'd split too. Let's see would I rather play SMU, Houston and UCF or Xaiver, Dayton, Butler or VCU? God I can only hope UC gets out of this mess.

That's why Aresco is meeting with the CYO. To make a "Brand Name" division" and the "Southern Cluster" screw division.

The newbies will get a token game or two every season under the Big East name, but not really be Big East basketball. Separate but equal. Hybrid conferences lacks cohesiveness.

And if the CYO pushes UC into the Southern Cluster it's b/c they know Cincy is leaving.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 12:16 AM by Blackhawk-eye.)
12-11-2012 12:15 AM
wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/...6470086656

"Source told @ESPNAndyKatz MSG may get out of Big East tourney deal if league continues changing membership"

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/...6470086656

"Big East source: "Basketball schools not thrilled w/Tulane & what they will do to lRPI. They would have fallen off ledge if we added ECU""
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 12:34 AM by wildthing202.)
12-11-2012 12:32 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-10-2012 11:23 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I have to think this is a bluff to get a bigger share of the TV deal. The non-FB schools hold a 7-3 majority (7-4 if Temple has full voting rights) until July 1. That might be enough to dissolve the conference, but not enough to expel members. Dissolving the conference is a losing proposition for them. They would lose millions in NCAA tournament credits and exit fees, and would not be able to get anywhere near the TV deal without football that they could with football.

I dont think so. I think it is what it seems. The Big East was originally a basketball league. Football was added later strictly as a courtesy to some of the football playing members. Now all the members the football side was created for have left or are likely set to bail soon. The basketball schools never had any interest in some nationwide football league---especially a mid-tier league. Thats not what they are about. They dont want to be stuck in a conference with teams they have no real reationship or history with. There seems to be some disagreement among the basketball schools over weather to proceed with the current plan, or to ditch this "New Big East" and return to thier roots as a smaller northeastern basketball-centric conference that makes geographic sense. The basketball schools hold a large majority. Once the basketball schools reach a consensus--the future of the Big East will reflect thier wishes.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 12:34 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-11-2012 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.