Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why Swofford sold ACC out. ESPN-Raycom Story explained.
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Why Swofford sold ACC out. ESPN-Raycom Story explained.
05-29-2012 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Why Swofford sold ACC out. ESPN-Raycom Story explained.
Oops!!! 03-lmfao
05-29-2012 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
The ACC has a very long history with Raycom. The conference wants to maintain that relationship so we can have more games broadcast over the air versus being only on cable/satellite.
05-29-2012 01:55 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Not good for business.
05-29-2012 01:56 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
That is just...wow.
05-29-2012 02:01 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
Wow.

Can you spell "Corruption?"

Swofford had the best-interests of ACC at heart, just as Jesse Jackson & Sharpton are "helping the public," not simply getting involved to help friends, family & illegitimate kids they want 'hushed-up.'
05-29-2012 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
SEC insisted that their deal include an over-air syndicated element because they consider it essential to maintaining their local fan bases and keep local advertisers happy. In the SEC case, ESPN just stepped into the role of Raycom via ESPN Regional TV.
05-29-2012 02:08 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Would be funny if Raycom figures out new age media distribution and puts the ACC on top in the "digital media" age.

Folks, the association between the ACC and Raycom/Jefferson-Pilot goes WAAAAAAAY back to the 60's and 70's. Given the fact that JP put ACC basketball on the map, I can certainly understand how the ACC/Swofford/whoever wanted to preserve the relationship.
05-29-2012 02:27 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Damn, it's like every single B12 fan out there has registered an account to beg and plead for FSU and CU to join.

Someone might want to remind them that message board fans don't get to make these decisions! 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 02:36 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-29-2012 02:34 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(05-29-2012 02:27 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Would be funny if Raycom figures out new age media distribution and puts the ACC on top in the "digital media" age.

Folks, the association between the ACC and Raycom/Jefferson-Pilot goes WAAAAAAAY back to the 60's and 70's. Given the fact that JP put ACC basketball on the map, I can certainly understand how the ACC/Swofford/whoever wanted to preserve the relationship.

But how much will maintaining that 'relationship' cost due to the fact that the overall contract amount appears to be deflated b/c of the no-bid with Raycom? Was reaching such an accord even done by the direction of the other ACC presidents or did it simply germinate from in the ACC offices?

Refusing to adapt can be just as damaging as not recognizing the winds of change themselves. Just ask Kodak.
05-29-2012 02:37 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I saw this article a while back. Further confirms to me that Swofford needs to be fired.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chad-swofford/a/578/8b4
05-29-2012 02:37 PM
Advertisement

ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Elitist nepotism in the ACC? No way.
05-29-2012 02:38 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(05-29-2012 02:27 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Would be funny if Raycom figures out new age media distribution and puts the ACC on top in the "digital media" age.

agreed. the acc LOVES the fact that so many of its basketball games are available OTA, and not just tier 3 ones but marquee ones as well as the entire ACC tournament. I can understand why "football schools" like clemson and fsu could be upset by that, but that is a collective decision the conference made, a little less money for a greater amount of exposure.
05-29-2012 02:39 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(05-29-2012 02:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Damn, it's like every single B12 fan out there has registered an account to beg and plead for FSU and CU to join.

Just imagine the virtual carnage that'll ensue when FSU decides to remain in the ACC, much like Texas -- after everyone including me had the Longhorn "6" inducted as new PAC-# members -- decided to stay put back in 2010.

As much as this looks like a football-driven deal, I won't be surprised to learn that men's basketball (plus academics) keeps FSU in the ACC.

---

Back to my Raycom thought for a sec -- what if Raycom figures out and leads the "digital sports media age" AND men's lacrosse REALLY takes off like it has from North Carolina and points north...?

At some point, that "other" sport that has players in helmets (no, not baseball) is going to take off, and the ACC is well positioned to capitalize.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 02:46 PM by ecuacc4ever.)
05-29-2012 02:40 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU

I'd be happy if Raycom could just figure out late 20th century technology. As it stands now it looks like they do their broadcasts with a bunch of homeless folks using cell phone cameras.

Quote:Folks, the association between the ACC and Raycom/Jefferson-Pilot goes WAAAAAAAY back to the 60's and 70's. Given the fact that JP put ACC basketball on the map, I can certainly understand how the ACC/Swofford/whoever wanted to preserve the relationship.

Not to mention the fact that Raycom was about to go under and Swofford's son would have been looking for a job.
05-29-2012 03:21 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-29-2012 03:21 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  
Quote:Folks, the association between the ACC and Raycom/Jefferson-Pilot goes WAAAAAAAY back to the 60's and 70's. Given the fact that JP put ACC basketball on the map, I can certainly understand how the ACC/Swofford/whoever wanted to preserve the relationship.
Not to mention the fact that Raycom was about to go under and Swofford's son would have been looking for a job.
Bobby Petrino lost his job for something similar...

The only difference is Petrino was getting screwed in the process. This time it's the ACC that's getting screwed...
05-29-2012 03:27 PM
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(05-29-2012 03:27 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

The only difference is Petrino was getting screwed in the process. This time it's the ACC that's getting screwed...

Yep.

It's also no surprise that the Tabakky Rd folks are running to the defense of Raycom.
05-29-2012 03:29 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports

I'm sure that relationship came into play, but its also how CHAD got his job. UNC and the ACC want to control the media in its market and are worried about the threat of outsiders that have little to no interest in the ACC.

How about the fact that THE VP from ESPN is also a Tarheel grad. This is the way the "Carolina Way" works, its supposed to be a network of insiders that take care of their own. The only things that throw a wrench into the formula 1) social media (like Twitter with the Marvin Austin deal) and 2) outside forces...like the B12 securing a much better TV contract.

It also functions with the grade inflation that goes on at UNC. And since they are inflated across the board, why would anyone complain when the athletes grades are inflated.

Its all coming to a head...slowly but surely.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 03:30 PM by HP-TBDPITL.)
05-29-2012 03:30 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-29-2012 03:29 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 03:27 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Yep.

It's also no surprise that the Tabakky Rd folks are running to the defense of Raycom.

I say Ruck Faycom. 03-wink
05-29-2012 03:30 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(05-29-2012 02:40 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 02:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Damn, it's like every single B12 fan out there has registered an account to beg and plead for FSU and CU to join.

Just imagine the virtual carnage that'll ensue when FSU decides to remain in the ACC, much like Texas -- after everyone including me had the Longhorn "6" inducted as new PAC-# members -- decided to stay put back in 2010.

As much as this looks like a football-driven deal, I won't be surprised to learn that men's basketball (plus academics) keeps FSU in the ACC.

---

Back to my Raycom thought for a sec -- what if Raycom figures out and leads the "digital sports media age" AND men's lacrosse REALLY takes off like it has from North Carolina and points north...?

At some point, that "other" sport that has players in helmets (no, not baseball) is going to take off, and the ACC is well positioned to capitalize.

Lacrosse? Seriously? NC State and Wake Forest dont even play Lacrosse.

The ACC propped up Raycom that was going out of business (and Chad would have lost his job). They used ESPN to do it. Now the ACC is being called out by its own members because the numbers are bigger elsewhere.
05-29-2012 03:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.