Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA President has suggested changing the setup of NCAA governance
JRsec Offline

I Root For: SEC
RE: NCAA President has suggested changing the setup of NCAA governance
(04-06-2012 12:01 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 11:06 AM)JRsec Wrote:  The old Chinese three part curse is very applicable. 1. May you live in interesting times. (Normal is never interesting.) 2. May every desire of your heart come true. (People seldom desire what is best for them.) and 3. May those in authority take notice of you. (It never ends well.)
A man after my own heart. I'm into eastern philosophies...

Aristotle, Taoism, and Christianity are a very interesting mix to contrast and compare and perhaps the best bridge for a western mind to enter into Eastern philosophies. It's where we've been and who we've come from, how we've misapplied it, where they have been and who they have come from, and how they have misapplied it, and perhaps our best way not to repeat the mistakes of the past together.

Without over spiritualizing it we must master our three components: mind, body, and spirit. But, master it in an Eastern understanding of the term, harmony. Aristotle teaches balance between them for strength and integrity in its truest sense. Christianity, before the church age, implied a harmony in moral terms. It was man through church who made it acetic, or libertine, in practice and always disciplined one more than the other while abusing the more subtle aspects of discipline. And, it is the Taoist who understands human failure and the suffering it brings and seeks harmony (or what we might term as the peace of healing) in the unity of the three. There is indeed quite a bit to be learned here. JR
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 12:47 PM by JRsec.)
04-06-2012 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Everything in moderation is the key, JR. You know what they say about the Road of Excess...
04-06-2012 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline

(04-06-2012 01:00 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Everything in moderation is the key, JR. You know what they say about the Road of Excess...

I understand what you mean, but be careful of everything in moderation. Much of life is only doable whole hog. You can't steal in moderation, you can't kill in moderation, you can't commit adultery in moderation, you can't lie in moderation, it's even hard to swear in moderation. And for many too many young people trying substances, you can't do those in moderation, safely, either. Some of those can kill you the first time. But on a more positive take, we shouldn't put moderation on our good will, our love of family, our trustworthiness, our commitment to a cause, or to our zest for life.

Moderation is great for numerable areas of life, but some absolute choices do have to be made. That's why harmony, or balance, is slightly different. Have a good one, JR
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 01:19 PM by JRsec.)
04-06-2012 01:17 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Actually, you can do many of those things in moderation...

An otherwise honest person will steal if they are certain they can get away with it. It may be the only thing they steal in their life. But when the opportunity presented itself, they were unable to resist the temptation...

Killing has been done in moderation throughout history. That's an assassin's job. Had the first assassination attempt of Hitler succeeded, the war in Europe would have ended much sooner. One surgical assassination at the right time can save a lot of misery...

I'll give you adultery. You either go all out, or not at all. There are a few other areas where there are no grey areas. It's either black or white...

But in everything else moderation is best. Too much of anything isn't healthy. That goes for good will, committment to a cause, and zest for life as well. You can get used by people with ulterior motives, jailed for fighting a useless battle, or killed by a joyful impulse...

The way I see it, life is to be lived and enjoyed. All you can do is be the best person you can, and do your part to make the world around you a better place. Treat everyone the way you'd like to be treated, and the rest should take care of itself...

I'm a balloon. I'm up in the air, and which ever way the wind blows, I float...
04-06-2012 03:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline

(04-06-2012 03:31 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Actually, you can do many of those things in moderation...

An otherwise honest person will steal if they are certain they can get away with it. It may be the only thing they steal in their life. But when the opportunity presented itself, they were unable to resist the temptation...

Killing has been done in moderation throughout history. That's an assassin's job. Had the first assassination attempt of Hitler succeeded, the war in Europe would have ended much sooner. One surgical assassination at the right time can save a lot of misery...

I'll give you adultery. You either go all out, or not at all. There are a few other areas where there are no grey areas. It's either black or white...

But in everything else moderation is best. Too much of anything isn't healthy. That goes for good will, committment to a cause, and zest for life as well. You can get used by people with ulterior motives, jailed for fighting a useless battle, or killed by a joyful impulse...

The way I see it, life is to be lived and enjoyed. All you can do is be the best person you can, and do your part to make the world around you a better place. Treat everyone the way you'd like to be treated, and the rest should take care of itself...

I'm a balloon. I'm up in the air, and which ever way the wind blows, I float...

Yes I laughed out loud. I like anybody who knows what they are, has a good idea of who they are, and is honest about it! At least you are a reasonable, happy, realist, and what's more, know it! Take care, JR
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 03:50 PM by JRsec.)
04-06-2012 03:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

A couple of traumatic brain injuries tend to give you a different perspective...
04-06-2012 05:29 PM
JRsec Offline

(04-06-2012 05:29 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  A couple of traumatic brain injuries tend to give you a different perspective...

Forgive me but that is a pespective I hope to avoid. I have stared down the business end of firearms on two occasions, had my life threatened twice, and learned some things I wish I'd never known, but I'm glad not to have had that kind of trauma.

Just curious, and you don't have to reply, but by your handle I take it you ride. Are the brain injuries associated with that passion? JR
04-06-2012 06:07 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: Dem Dukes
Chase the dollar, die by the dollar. College sports is quickly becoming a industry that no longer serves the student athlete or the students and community in general, but rather their own self-righteous, self-promoting egos. It's an absolute shame that rivalries are being lost and that the student athlete, students' and communities are being dragged though this. The money chasers in the power conferences are ruining college sports. But I guess that is the college sport purist in me.
04-06-2012 06:59 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(04-06-2012 06:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 05:29 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  A couple of traumatic brain injuries tend to give you a different perspective...
Forgive me but that is a pespective I hope to avoid. I have stared down the business end of firearms on two occasions, had my life threatened twice, and learned some things I wish I'd never known, but I'm glad not to have had that kind of trauma.

Just curious, and you don't have to reply, but by your handle I take it you ride. Are the brain injuries associated with that passion?
JR, my handle came from a science fiction story called Dragon's Egg, about life on a neutron star by Robert L. Forward (bitcruncher was a minor scientist on the neutron star when their civilization collapsed during a starquake)...

I used to ride. But I had to sell my bike. I can't take all the vibration any longer. Between the transplant and the equilibrium difficulties, it's just too much for me to handle...

The brain traumas happened because every once in a while, my heart just stops. Each time it's happened in my life, I've either gotten a concussion or a traumatic brain injury. The last 3 times it happened when I was driving. I was lucky enough to live long enough for the doctors to figure out a pacemaker was all I needed to keep me conscious. But they tried medication first, and it took 10 years for them to figure out that wasn't working. It wasn't exactly Easy Street...
04-07-2012 07:31 AM
JRsec Offline

(04-07-2012 07:31 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 06:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Just curious, and you don't have to reply, but by your handle I take it you ride. Are the brain injuries associated with that passion?
JR, my handle came from a science fiction story called Dragon's Egg, about life on a neutron star by Robert L. Forward (bitcruncher was a minor scientist on the neutron star when their civilization collapsed during a starquake)...

I used to ride. But I had to sell my bike. I can't take all the vibration any longer. Between the transplant and the equilibrium difficulties, it's just too much for me to handle...

The brain traumas happened because every once in a while, my heart just stops. Each time it's happened in my life, I've either gotten a concussion or a traumatic brain injury. The last 3 times it happened when I was driving. I was lucky enough to live long enough for the doctors to figure out a pacemaker was all I needed to keep me conscious. But they tried medication first, and it took 10 years for them to figure out that wasn't working. It wasn't exactly Easy Street...

Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep that in my prayers.

By the way both of my run ins with the business end of handguns were just from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I went to help a woman who was being beaten, I thought mugged, and it turned out to be a drunk boyfried with a gun. I talked him down, left, and called the police. The second was in a parking lot just walking to my car when a woman came by being chased by another woman with a gun. She hid behind me. I had no idea what to do then. The one with the gun shouted some more expletives and left. Both of these were minor on the trauma scale.

The threats against my life, and the things I learned, well that was work on behalf of the disenfranchised. They were major on the trauma scale.

All of that said, I know what you face is far more sobering and less controlable. My first statement of this post is sincere. Considering the circumstances, I marvel a bit more at what I already appreciated in the scope and clarity of your thinking. JR
04-07-2012 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.