Sweet Sixteen basketball spending
Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Legend

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Sweet Sixteen basketball spending
(03-27-2012 01:04 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-27-2012 01:03 PM)ctipton Wrote:  The university needs to take over payment for the Lindner Center, instead of the Athletic Department. That is a head scratcher for me. The AD is not the one ones using the center. It is a university asset. That would change a lot of the dynamics.

How does the AD not use the center? That is the building right between the Shoemaker Center and Nippert and it houses all of the coaches offices. We aren't talking about the student workout facilities here.

The AD is NOT THE ONLY ones using the Center.
03-27-2012 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
UC could probably stand for a basketball arena update. The Shoe has hosted a lot of great teams, but you could use a bigger house.
03-27-2012 01:12 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(03-27-2012 01:06 PM)ctipton Wrote:  The AD is NOT THE ONLY ones using the Center.

Ok. Maybe shared financial responsibilities should be the thought... not just handing it totally over to UC. I know we all love UC athletics here, but the school already kicks in a ton of money to the athletic department now. The athletic department needs to find ways to increase revenues, which seems to be happening under WB. You can't always go back to the school, which isn't exactly flowing in money, and begging them to throw more money at athletics.
03-27-2012 01:12 PM
subflea Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
There is an auditorium style classroom in there, the building is also used by health service. Those two things probably make up about 1% of the activity in the building. The rest is all athletic department.
03-27-2012 01:29 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-27-2012 01:03 PM)ctipton Wrote:  The university needs to take over payment for the Lindner Center, instead of the Athletic Department. That is a head scratcher for me. The AD is not the one ones using the center. It is a university asset. That would change a lot of the dynamics.

Totally agree. It's a huge head scratcher. You dont see the Business department or the science department footing the bill out of their budget for their facilities. It was an extremely odd move on UC's part.
03-27-2012 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-27-2012 01:12 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-27-2012 01:06 PM)ctipton Wrote:  The AD is NOT THE ONLY ones using the Center.

Ok. Maybe shared financial responsibilities should be the thought... not just handing it totally over to UC. I know we all love UC athletics here, but the school already kicks in a ton of money to the athletic department now. The athletic department needs to find ways to increase revenues, which seems to be happening under WB. You can't always go back to the school, which isn't exactly flowing in money, and begging them to throw more money at athletics.

The school relative to other BCS schools actually doesn't kick in a "ton of money" to the athletic department. It's actually very low comparatively. That said I do agree with you that the Athletic Department absolutely needs to step up. They've been mired in poor leadership for years now and like I said in a previous post many of them in the athletic department have been coasting along in their positions for far too long with very little to show for it.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 01:33 PM by Marcus.)
03-27-2012 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
(03-27-2012 01:33 PM)Marcus Wrote:  The school relative to other BCS schools actually doesn't kick in a "ton of money" to the athletic department. It's actually very low comparatively. That said I do agree with you that the Athletic Department absolutely needs to step up. They've been mired in poor leadership for years now and like I said in a previous post many of them in the athletic department have been coasting along in their positions for far too long with very little to show for it.

Okay, so therefore.......

"UC's athletic department obviously sucks in money management and producing revenue.

How pathetic."

I just wanted to repeat what I said since it pretty much was accurate. 03-nerner
03-27-2012 03:22 PM
ctipton Offline
Legend

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(03-27-2012 03:22 PM)BearChatter v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-27-2012 01:33 PM)Marcus Wrote:  The school relative to other BCS schools actually doesn't kick in a "ton of money" to the athletic department. It's actually very low comparatively. That said I do agree with you that the Athletic Department absolutely needs to step up. They've been mired in poor leadership for years now and like I said in a previous post many of them in the athletic department have been coasting along in their positions for far too long with very little to show for it.

Okay, so therefore.......

"UC's athletic department obviously sucks in money management and producing revenue.

How pathetic."

I just wanted to repeat what I said since it pretty much was accurate. 03-nerner

Chatter, in the sense that you are trying to make the Athletic Department look inept, I disagree. While they have not made "lots of money", IMHO, it is not because of mismanagement but because of the massive payback for the Lindner Center. In other words, they have made enough to pay towards the debt, but not enough to show a massive profit. I don't know who could do it better (although anything is bound to be better now that MT is gone).
03-27-2012 03:37 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
When we went to the UC-Tennessee game they had an announcement thanking someone for donating like $5 million (I can't remember the exact dollar amount at the moment, but it was huge). The UT guys in front of us had mentioned that is pretty commonplace for them. Imagine the ticket revenue they get for home games with 100,000 fans at like $50 a pop and then the huge amount of donations they bring in every season on top of all that. Their ticket revenue for 1 home game is more than we get in a season, not to mention the donations they get. Different world and we have a long way to go, but it really would be nice to have some more big money donors throwing case at UC.
03-27-2012 03:48 PM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

We are still paying off 110 million dollars on a glorified athletics museum-tower that produces zero dollars in revenue at a time when both our revenue venues were in desperate need of updates. Oh, and its about five feet from the East side of our football stadium, preventing any hope of expansion on that side.

The Lindner Center was extremely short sighted and we are still paying for it (literally) today.
03-27-2012 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.