RE: NIU to the Big East, fan opinion
So who the heck is voting no and why?
03-18-2012 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(03-18-2012 07:30 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  So who the heck is voting no and why?

My guess its Toledo fans ;-)
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2012 08:04 PM by HuskieJohn.)
03-18-2012 07:52 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I'm all for it. A move to a conference that most people have heard of would increase our visibility and reputation in Chicagoland as well as nationally. The MAC has shown it is unable and/or unwilling to make the necessary changes to keep it viable.
03-18-2012 07:58 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2012 02:29 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  
(03-18-2012 10:36 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  I like the option as FB only...

It should be ALL sports, if need be, the Big East can kick out DePaul and replace them with NIU instead of offering a football-only invitation.

DePaul has won maybe 3 conference games in the last 20 years (hyperbole).

DePaul getting kicked out for NIU was discussed on that Rockford guy's sports blog. Just about everyone shot down the idea that BE swapping of DePaul for NIU was even a remote possibility...so I just didn't think going all sports was an option.

I guess the BE did set precedent with kicking out Temple so really our hopes would lay with ND and Marquette and if they think that NIU will not pose any infringement in the sports they participate in. Better yet would be if ND joins a different conference in all sports.

All sports would be great if that meant more money but I don't think that really would be as good for us than if we were in some local conference. Our teams playing teams in Cali, Texas and FL doesn't seem like we would be as competitive as we could in a more regional conference.
03-18-2012 08:32 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
(03-18-2012 08:32 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

It should be ALL sports, if need be, the Big East can kick out DePaul and replace them with NIU instead of offering a football-only invitation.

DePaul getting kicked out for NIU was discussed on that Rockford guy's sports blog. Just about everyone shot down the idea that BE swapping of DePaul for NIU was even a remote possibility...so I just didn't think going all sports was an option.

I guess the BE did set precedent with kicking out Temple so really our hopes would lay with ND and Marquette and if they think that NIU will not pose any infringement in the sports they participate in. Better yet would be if ND joins a different conference in all sports.

All sports would be great if that meant more money but I don't think that really would be as good for us than if we were in some local conference. Our teams playing teams in Cali, Texas and FL doesn't seem like we would be as competitive as we could in a more regional conference.

NIU needs, and to their credit, wants to grow basketball. There is no better way to do that than joining the premier college basketball league.

Also, Marquette, DePaul, and Notre Dame for ALL sports would be a pretty good local core.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2012 08:37 PM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
03-18-2012 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2012 03:06 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Can someone informed on the matter detail the Administration support of the athletic department, the city / state support, budget, endowments, academics, etc?

Our University President is one of our football teams biggest fans...outside of us crazies. As far as support from the other administration I would say it is there however they are not going to spend crazy money without it being justified as having a real return.

The campaign for our indoor practice facility started with a 3mil donation the week of Sept 17th. By October 15th we had 7.6mil pledged. By Jan 8th we had 8.2mil pledged. The ceremonial ground breaking is next month (April 21st) however its not the actual start to the project as our BOT will not let it start until the whole 9.5mil is pledged.

Our state financially is in shambles however our President is leading an initiative to have us more self reliant. The "City" of DeKalb (LOL) is working with NIU to put a bid together (due next month) to host the state football finals every other year...UofI cannot host it in every odd year with the setup of the new B1G schedule. DeKalb has just approved the building of a new hotel that would directly help guests of NIU and the IHSA championships.

Our 2009-2010 athletic budget was just under 22mil. The 2009-2010 budget for USF was just over 39mil.

The two of the three biggest difference are...
NCAA/conference distributions including all tournament revenues: there is a difference of 6.6mil between us.

Tickets sales: There is a difference of 5.5mil between us. Consider that our 2009 opponents were Western Illinois, Idaho, WMU, Akron, EMU & Ball St...other than WMU most years this is...03-yawn...no way to attract new season ticket holders let alone any of our casual fanbase.

Last year our two biggest home games were hosting Army and WMU. The rest of our opponents were duds in Cal Poly (FCS), Kent St (1-4), Ball St (Tuesday night game in November) & EMU (10am day after Thanksgiving). Playing Louisville or Cincinnati at home would easily sell out (28K) Huskie Stadium on a Saturday. All the other teams WILL attract the same if not more people than a top 4 MAC team on a Saturday (20-25k+).

Taking both BE money and a reasonable increase in attendance into consideration we would be up to 29mil without any stadium expansion. This would first go towards travel, then marketing...and raises for our coaches as MAC rates wont last us long. After that we need to build a new media/suite complex...this is needed even if we do not get an invite to an other conference.

Our endowment is rather small as our first endowment campaign was started 7 years ago and finished 2 years later with over 160mil. I think that in the next year or two after the economy hopefully has improved and our vision 2020 is really progressing there will be another push to bank another 100mil+ but that just a guess.

As for our academics I am not totally aware of the specifics of every college however I do know our business, computer science and law colleges all have programs that are ranked. I feel like our Engineering students have been proving themselves in various competitions against students from schools known as Engineering powers.
03-18-2012 10:48 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2012 08:35 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  
(03-18-2012 08:32 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

NIU needs, and to their credit, wants to grow basketball. There is no better way to do that than joining the premier college basketball league.

Also, Marquette, DePaul, and Notre Dame for ALL sports would be a pretty good local core.
I see bigger problems with academics for the student athletes if they are traveling more than 7 hours for mid week games. If there is enough money for all our teams to fly and save some time then great but I am still not convinced that we will be competitive vs the CA, TX and FL schools.
03-18-2012 10:54 PM
bigredmachine Offline
2nd String

HuskieJohn has listed most of the issues. I think the long commute times are overstated since now the teams must bus to Ohio and Michigan and take at least as long as flying to NY, etc. would. That of course raises the issue of additional travel cost which is the biggest cost issue. However, I think the toll on athletes would be less and recruiting would be much much easier if the teams flew. No one has mentioned that the BE is really two conferences - the FB one and the other one. I think the 8 nonfootball members, which are all private schools, will eventually split away and form their own conference with other similar schools (St.Louis, Butler, Xavier, Dayton, etc.), and the FB schools will go their own way. NIU's only way in is if this happens so BE FB loses the Chicago market and wants to keep it in. Meanwhile, NIU needs to win, win, win, and raise money and improve facilities. I hope it works out and NIU can move up.
03-19-2012 07:48 AM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(Pipe) Dreams are fine to hold and harm nothing.

On the other hand I do question why people don't get the HUGE gap in resources between NIU and the majors.

The gap cannot be closed within a few calendar years.

I think Depaul bball in big east is a classic example of biting off more than the once heralded bball program can chew and they likely have more resources and richer bball history than NIU going way back with NBA players and many more wealthy and loyal donors to tap than does NIU and still have NOT been able to compete well in BE .

Chew on that awhile before voting all you eyes closed to the hard realities Huskie fans.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 10:57 AM by niucyberdawg.)
03-20-2012 10:19 AM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
People with common sense.
03-20-2012 11:45 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2012 11:45 AM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

THAT is NOT what THIS thread is about!
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 12:06 PM by HuskieJohn.)
03-20-2012 12:06 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(03-20-2012 12:06 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

It's not about geography or map reading either.
03-20-2012 01:06 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2012 01:06 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  
(03-20-2012 12:06 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

It's not about geography or map reading either.
Actually did you take a look at Kruciff maps? They make sense of it.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=56...pid7700503

I still think we would have a hard time recruiting vs schools in Cali, FL & TX.
03-20-2012 01:16 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

Funny how the "Nay" votes spiked after those Toledo turds came to our board to troll about the Bass lawsuit.
03-20-2012 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Nothing wrong with trying the Big East. If it doesn't work we can get back into the MAC football only.
03-21-2012 03:38 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
There may just be some NIU fans that think it is not wise *insane* to be talking about joining a conference that goes from CT to FL to SoCal to Idaho.
03-21-2012 04:15 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

(03-21-2012 04:15 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  There may just be some NIU fans that think it is not wise *insane* to be talking about joining a conference that goes from CT to FL to SoCal to Idaho.

How far is Sarasota from Orlando and Tampa?
03-21-2012 06:54 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2012 06:54 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  
(03-21-2012 04:15 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  There may just be some NIU fans that think it is not wise *insane* to be talking about joining a conference that goes from CT to FL to SoCal to Idaho.

How far is Sarasota from Orlando and Tampa?

1hr & 2:15ish
03-22-2012 09:05 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
Sarasota is 40 minutes from Tampa. I had to fly down to Tampa a couple of weeks ago and drive to Sarasota.
03-22-2012 02:28 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
1 hr to USF 2 1/4 to UCF.
03-22-2012 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.