Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question about replacing Temple
Bookmark and Share
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Question about replacing Temple
That's why I'm guessing the MAC will do nothing until it gets a handle on UMASS's intentions. Obviously with Temple gone, UMASS makes little sense in the MAC other than to help them get to DIA status.
03-08-2012 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'√Čtoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-08-2012 04:12 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 10:53 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Maybe a long, detailed thread about adding Illinois State and Southern Illinois is in order?

Maybe we could go just one week without mentioning Illinois State here? They're not a possibility for the MAC now anyway, so let it go.

[Image: sarcasm_detector.jpg]
03-08-2012 04:48 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(03-08-2012 04:48 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 04:12 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 10:53 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Maybe a long, detailed thread about adding Illinois State and Southern Illinois is in order?

Maybe we could go just one week without mentioning Illinois State here? They're not a possibility for the MAC now anyway, so let it go.

[Image: sarcasm_detector.jpg]

I saw the sarcasm. Thing is, you're so fixated on Illinois State joining the MAC, you never know!
03-08-2012 05:13 PM
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU
(03-08-2012 04:35 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Time for MAC to "stand pat" until we see if the Minutemen bolt..if they get the eventual BE invite, they are very likely to take it.

The MAC doesn't have to wait to see if UMass bolts. UMass can, and should be, booted after a 2-year stay. The conference should then stand on 12 members and wait to see if any viable candidates surface.

There is no imperative that MAC football has to have 14 teams. It is well demonstrated that taking in needy, outlier programs is of little or no long-term value to the MAC.
03-08-2012 05:15 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(03-08-2012 05:15 PM)DexterEagle Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 04:35 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Time for MAC to "stand pat" until we see if the Minutemen bolt..if they get the eventual BE invite, they are very likely to take it.

The MAC doesn't have to wait to see if UMass bolts. UMass can, and should be, booted after a 2-year stay. The conference should then stand on 12 members and wait to see if any viable candidates surface.

There is no imperative that MAC football has to have 14 teams. It is well demonstrated that taking in needy, outlier programs is of little or no long-term value to the MAC.

+1

Great post. If we don't invoke the two-year term clause now, the MAC is setting itself for more turmoil in 2014. Go back to 12 teams and see what happens in the turbulent world of college football in the next couple years.
03-08-2012 05:21 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Should we create a new division with Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, and Illinois State??

03-08-2012 06:22 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
I thought we were replacing NIU with ISU and SIU. (ducking fast to avoid injury!)
03-08-2012 07:37 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(03-08-2012 07:37 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  I thought we were replacing NIU with ISU and SIU. (ducking fast to avoid injury!)

That's true. We're moving on to the Big Ten (11, 12, ?)!

02-13-banana
03-08-2012 07:49 PM
hens05alum Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Delaware
(03-08-2012 12:13 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  I don't like Delaware at all.

-The school plays in a tiny state that can't supply a decent recruiting base to a CAA level football squad. The problem will only be worse at the FBS level.

-Delaware's enrollment is in the mid teens and isn't going up.

-Their football stadium would be among the bottom of the MAC. They do have plans in place for a 30k upgrade but they aren't there yet.

-Their basketball program is terrible and plays in a small time gym.

JMU has a lot more potential on the field than Delaware and I would even take Charlotte and their upstart football program with a brand new football facility first.

Delaware is situated between Philadelphia and Baltimore, wtf does it matter how many people reside in the lower 2 counties of state? Half a million people live within a 15 minute drive of campus.

Our athletics department budget is a full 40% larger than Ohio U at Athens. Our endowment is 3 times the size of Ohio U.

UD's most recent Fall enrollment report is 17k+ undergrad and 21k+ total, growing a very sustainable 1% each year for the last 5 academic years. A little over 2 years ago the UD purchased a 275 acre plot on the south end of campus in cash and steamrolled an empty Chrysler plant that was there, to expand campus.

UD just spent $30 million on an annex and support building to their basketball arena, which holds 5k, and which would be quite appropriate for the MAC. Yesterday at a monthly fan meeting the coach announced we'll be unveiling a partially funded $50 million football stadium renovation project within the next 60 days.

Our hoops team would have finished 5th in the MAC in RPI this year. Matter of fact, I think we played you losers a couple years ago and split the series if I remember correctly.

The one thing you may be right about, is that UD may not be a great fit for the MAC, but it's certainly not because Ohio U has the juice in their sack to make us look inferior at ANYTHING.
03-08-2012 08:23 PM
oduengineer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-08-2012 08:23 PM)hens05alum Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 12:13 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  I don't like Delaware at all.

-The school plays in a tiny state that can't supply a decent recruiting base to a CAA level football squad. The problem will only be worse at the FBS level.

-Delaware's enrollment is in the mid teens and isn't going up.

-Their football stadium would be among the bottom of the MAC. They do have plans in place for a 30k upgrade but they aren't there yet.

-Their basketball program is terrible and plays in a small time gym.

JMU has a lot more potential on the field than Delaware and I would even take Charlotte and their upstart football program with a brand new football facility first.

Delaware is situated between Philadelphia and Baltimore, wtf does it matter how many people reside in the lower 2 counties of state? Half a million people live within a 15 minute drive of campus.

Our athletics department budget is a full 40% larger than Ohio U at Athens. Our endowment is 3 times the size of Ohio U.

UD's most recent Fall enrollment report is 17k+ undergrad and 21k+ total, growing a very sustainable 1% each year for the last 5 academic years. A little over 2 years ago the UD purchased a 275 acre plot on the south end of campus in cash and steamrolled an empty Chrysler plant that was there, to expand campus.

UD just spent $30 million on an annex and support building to their basketball arena, which holds 5k, and which would be quite appropriate for the MAC. Yesterday at a monthly fan meeting the coach announced we'll be unveiling a partially funded $50 million football stadium renovation project within the next 60 days.

Our hoops team would have finished 5th in the MAC in RPI this year. Matter of fact, I think we played you losers a couple years ago and split the series if I remember correctly.

The one thing you may be right about, is that UD may not be a great fit for the MAC, but it's certainly not because Ohio U has the juice in their sack to make us look inferior at ANYTHING.

Ouch... those hens are feisty!
03-08-2012 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.