Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Womens Team
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Womens Team
They are only 5-10 in the Conference but they could easily be 8-7. They really have played with only 7 players all year due to some nagging injuries and the minutes are starting to show. They tend to fade in the last 5 to 10 minutes each game which is way they are 5-10 instead of 8-7 or better but they play hard and have a very good basketball IQ. Today with 7 minutes to go they were up on a decent Akron team by fifteen. The fade occurred and Akron had 3 chances to win in the last 20 seconds but did not. Kent held on winning 77-76.

If they can hold on to this team and add a point guard and either a big center or power forward they could be right back in the hunt. Maybe instead of sitting the men's starters for the first 10 minutes they should make them watch this team play Tuesday and force them to watch tapes of their games for 24 straight hours. They might learn something.
02-25-2012 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
RE: Womens Team
Time to give the winningest coach in conference history a contract extension. Hell call it a courtesy extension for a guy who has had chances to leave and stayed. This team has improved over the year and Bob Lindsay and Lori Bodnar deserve credit. They have been at a disadvantage in recruiting all year due to the contract situation and it's time to show some respect to this staff.
02-25-2012 09:16 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I have mixed feelings on the coaching staff. They definately know what they are doing x's and o's wise. They also ALWAYS improve as the season progresses. However while recent recruiting has been effected by the contract situation it wasn't that great the last 4 years. Not only recruiting but holding on to what you have has been a problem. I think the fact that there is no Senior class and no Sophomore class says it all in that regards. Having said that if they can squeeze out a decent class this year it could be fun next year. We will see.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2012 09:28 PM by burden.)
02-25-2012 09:27 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I believe that Lindsey is the only coach not to get an extension over the last few months. So it makes me wonder what the plan is going be.
02-25-2012 09:46 PM
Advertisement

JimJoyce Offline
1st String

Burden the reason players leave is because they obviously can't hack it here. How many of them leave Kent and be studs on other teams? Very few, if any. Stutzman went to Ashland and has disappeared there as well.
02-25-2012 09:49 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Maybe so but those are recruiting errors also. Are they not?
02-25-2012 10:14 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

Perhaps but your main argument seems to be the lack of retention. I'm sure you know this but recruiting - especially when dealing with women's athletics - isn't exactly a simple thing. Again we are tying to sell a 61-year old building with no practice facility and a lot of arduous travel.
02-25-2012 10:42 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It's not just the womens team it's all teams. We are starting to make excuses. The fact of the matter is Stutzman would have been a valuable 10-15 minute a game player a few years ago and Stanton would have helped this years team. There have been others who slipped away in the past Wolke for example(first big off the bench at Louiville after she left). I have heard some things about these players and I understand why they left. However when you have only 7 or 8 players these players are the difference between a totally exhausted team at the end of a game and a team that can easily hold a 17 point lead with 7 minutes to go. Maybe we drive away the borderline players and therefore our depth. I really don't know but it sure seems to happen a lot to us. I have never seen any statistics so for all I know every MAC level type team has this problem. If that is true so be it and I will shut up.

Also these excuses are beginning to bother me. We heard very little of that when Kennedy and Cartwright ran the show. I assume it is coming from our new mgt. and it really worries me. We are never going to be or have been a high $ program. I sense a defeatist attitude starting to seep in and it worries me.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2012 01:35 PM by burden.)
02-26-2012 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.