Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football?
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
RE: Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football?
(02-28-2012 06:03 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(02-28-2012 03:05 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Teh only thing is- if it's just playing 1 vs 2 in division- I'm not sure that the rules will allow it. I believe the conference title game MUST be the winners of divisions where everyone has played each other.

To do something like a semi-final situation- you'd have to have 4 divisions. The 4 division winners play each other in semis, then the 2 winners play in the finals.

Your semifinals could be EAst 2 @ West 1 and West 2 @ EAst 1. To avoid giving everybody a second crossover game, everyone else's flex game could be East 8 @ East 3, East 7 @ East 4, East 5 @ East 6. Also helps #3 and #4 get a 7th win for bowl-eligibility.

It won't be that....

There are two potential configurations. Either 2 Divisions or 4 Divisions.

If there is 2 Divisions, then the top two teams play each other (again) in a semi final for the right to play the winner of the other divisions semi game. IMO, what they should then do is have a flex schedule where the East plays the West on down....3 v 3, 4 v 4, etc....schedule it at West sites one year and East sites the next.

Or, if there are 4 divisions, then each division winner plays a semi game. Think SE plays Central, Mountain plays West. Then cross divisional games could be played the same way....SE plays Mountain, Central plays West....2v2, 3v3, etc...

Personally I think the Alliance will expand quickly to 24 utilizing WAC teams and a few Sun Belt additions. Here is my prediction:

Southeast Division

FAU*
FIU*
ECU
Marshall
UAB
Southern Miss

Central

Tulane
Rice
Tulsa
La Tech*
North Texas*
UTSA*

Mountain

UTEP
New Mexico St*
New Mexico
Colorado State
Air Force
Wyoming

West

Nevada
Fresno
UNLV
Utah State*
Hawaii
San Jose State*

I noted the additions. This set-up will promote rivalries as well as bring in major markets. UNT, FAU, FIU all have brand new stadiums, all others were WAC programs. This will eliminate the WAC (Idaho will have to go back to I-AA) and give the Alliance additional leverage in TV negotiations. Most likely the Sun Belt backfills with Texas State and two I-AA move-ups...I'd bet Georgia State and Jacksonville State. Then they can look at one additional member to get to 12. They can try and entice App State to join at that point. App may want to wait to see what happens with Charlotte, ODU, James Madison.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 09:20 AM by HP-TBDPITL.)
02-28-2012 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football? - HP-TBDPITL - 02-28-2012 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.