Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football?
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
RE: Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football?
(02-25-2012 09:21 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(02-25-2012 08:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think it's pretty stupid. Even if the teams in the alliance aren't good(and I'm not saying that)- there would be enough teams with good enough conference records to become bowl eligibile. Unless everyone comes in from OOC games at 0-4- the alliance will have I'd guess at least 8 bowl eligible teams.
The 7-5 line will impact things though if that does go thru(though I can't imagine that it eventually will).

I think the point though about the recruiting is spot on. Will guys that have been going to schools like Southern Miss or Tulane or UAB- will they continue to go there, or will they be lured to Houston and Memphis playing in the Big East? Same out west, the guys that the other guys were getting previously- they're going to be going to Boise(and the writer doesn't put it)- Utah in Pac 12 and BYU going Big 12.

It all depends on the perception of the Big East by then. We all know that going from the MWC to the PAC 12 was a step up. It's not so clear on how the Big East will be viewed compared to the alliance of teams. Both conferences will be just a mishmash of CUSA and MWC teams.

There is a lot of former CUSA teams in the Big East. What does it really mean? UConn was once in the Yankee conference so does that forever mean UConn will never be a real major program?

Take a look at where the Big East is right now, 8 to 10 NCAA teams in men's basketball. The Big East is poised to lose 3 in West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh while gaining 2 in Memphis, Temple.

On paper that sounds like a downgrade since UCF, Houston and SMU aren't NCAA regulars, however those schools are going to be blessed with an additional 10 to 15 million dollars by which to buy better basketball coaches and the top rated basketball league to recruit to in the Big East.

In football, the Big East became a lot deeper than it was before.

Boise State/West Virginia
Houston/Pittsburgh
Navy/Syracuse
Temple
SMU
San Diego State
Central Florida
Memphis

Looking back over the last 4-5 seasons (the timeframe that really counts in the college football world) Boise State, Houston and Navy have been just as good if not better than West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. The Big East is also bringing in large markets like San Diego, Orlando, Dallas, Philadelphia with a lot of recruiting potential they previously didn't have.

Therefore, its pretty easy to see that the Big East will be as good if not better 4 years from now than what it is today.

The alliance is a hodge podge of MWC, CUSA and WAC leftovers equal to the Sun Belt in football strength.
02-25-2012 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Article: Will the alliance be competitive in football? - Louis Kitton - 02-25-2012 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.