Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: who?
Toledo
Akron
Ohio
Miami (OH)
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Who do you think the 'mystery Ohio school' is?
Bookmark and Share
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
RE: Who do you think the 'mystery Ohio school' is?
(02-16-2012 05:54 AM)ECUgradstudent Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 01:37 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I don't know how this rumor got started but I find it hard to believe the Alliance (or whatever we're calling it this week) is looking at any school in Ohio.

If looking at teams from Ohio, it is probably for a nonfootball playing schools like Xavier or something.

If the rumor did not start until after Temple was contacted it might be one of Temple's conditions to take certain schools first if it would leave the MAC.
02-16-2012 06:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
The more and more I think about this I think it might be Xavier. They're in Cincinatti, have great basketball to help sure up the East division and Temple might be interested if they come.

I think it's Xavier or Toledo.
02-16-2012 07:55 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(02-16-2012 12:58 AM)banker Wrote:  Louis, give it up. I know a bunch of Ohio alumni and every one of them blow off Ohio to watch Ohio State on Saturdays. Your school even went so far as to have a deal with incoming freshman that they would give them a free Bobcat shirt if they would simply turn in one of their Ohio State ones.

Wow, that's pretty funny.
02-16-2012 07:56 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
I belive Ohio and Marshall have a strong rivalry and good relations overal relations. Toldeo would be a good choice. Akron has a new stadium..big time coaching staff... My guess is Ohio- solid fan support, winning program, good proximity to marshall, Frank Solich etc.
02-16-2012 08:04 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Mount Union. In all seriousness, I doubt any MAC school would leave that league with the exception of Temple who openly admits to wanting out. But if I had to pick another school that would go, I'd say Toledo.
02-16-2012 08:09 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(02-15-2012 10:50 PM)pirateradio97 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 10:48 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  Akron would be a HORRIBLE addition even considering their market.

I agree..But See SMU, San Diego St. and Houston...Its about the Tv Dollar and if we can add the #17 TV Market they will do it..plus..New Stadium..Terry Bowden...They can play all of this

I feel the exact same way. Nice stadium, they will get recruits with Terry Bowden. They'll bring in a new state + big market. And they can't suck forever.. lol
02-16-2012 08:55 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-15-2012 10:45 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  If they are trying to convince Temple to come in all sports could it be Xavier? Xavier, UMass and Charlotte would be a lot of Temple's A10 friends.

Yep this should be the answer. All this talk about over 24 members is crazy, unless one of 2 things is going to happen. Either the BE somehow fails and we take in the leftovers (very unlikely it would happen), or we are adding non-FB members. Xavier, ODU, Charlotte, and others in the east are great candidates for it. Denver, Gonzaga, and several others are great candidates in the west. We could easily make this league a 6-8 bid league doing that, which does make us money. The BE makes a killing off of tournament credits and we could do the same to a certain extent.
02-16-2012 09:18 AM
DJdaHERDfan73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Xavier, ODU, Charlotte bball schools added to East
Denver, UT Arlington, UTSA bball schools added to West

Give schools like UTSA, Old Dominion, Charlotte a window of opportunity to get their football programs up and running to full FBS strength and then bring them aboard later.

Basketball would be kick a$$ and help this NATIONAL CONFERENCE get more TV MONEY. Hell, we could end up with a bigger deal than the Big East. just saying.......
02-16-2012 09:31 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(02-16-2012 08:55 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 10:50 PM)pirateradio97 Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 10:48 PM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  Akron would be a HORRIBLE addition even considering their market.

I agree..But See SMU, San Diego St. and Houston...Its about the Tv Dollar and if we can add the #17 TV Market they will do it..plus..New Stadium..Terry Bowden...They can play all of this

I feel the exact same way. Nice stadium, they will get recruits with Terry Bowden. They'll bring in a new state + big market. And they can't suck forever.. lol

That new stadium while it looks shiny from the outside has quickly turned into a crack house inside like the surrounding neighborhood.

Last season a game was almost postphoned because someone committed suicide on the 50 yard line prior to a football game.

This past fall former starting QB Chris Jacquemain died of a Heroin overdose at age of 22. He got his teammate S Tyler Campbell hooked and he overdosed this summer. What crappy leadership at the QB position.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/...chris.html

I don't think Akron is a good environment for players. Infocision Stadium has quickly become a center for drug dealing, a fancy crack house.
02-16-2012 09:41 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Louis - I love the way you represent your school. Since message board insults are not driving expansion, I would bet that the 16 Alliance presidents and their athletic directors are gathering or have gathered all the pertinent info regarding tv value. If the Bobcats have as much tv value and potential in the state of Ohio as you indicate, it would not be surprising at all if the Alliance was interested. I'm sure Toledo is of interest too.

But my question to you is, are either of these schools interested at all in leaving their long association with the MAC? You also mentioned the heavy concentration, duplication within markets, as a strong point for the MAC. That is normally seen by those looking for more tv money as detrimental and it's why NMSU is not truly on the radar for the Alliance. They sit within the same DMA as UTEP. A really huge market, like Houston, could double up but not an average size market. So, if Toledo or Ohio are interested in gaining some additional tv money and more national exposure, would they be interested?
02-16-2012 09:53 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
For those wondering where the mystery Ohio school rumors came from, the thread on this board about the San Antonio blog is where I first saw it. The writer covering UTSA basically said that thru his sources as a sports writer, he believed that UTSA was NOT high on the Alliance radar and that the Alliance was interested in numerous schools including Ohio based MAC schools. He specifically said MAC schools which would not include Xavier or Dayton. At least not in his info.

From everything written in this thread it has to be Toledo and Ohio. Those 2 have had the highest attendance in FB (2011) and basketball (2010-2011) of the MAC schools from Ohio, Ill, and Buffalo.

I hope that Dayton and Xavier all also on the radar but I don't see the incentive for them to move from their current conference unless Temple and UMass would commit all sports to the Alliance.

Here is
02-16-2012 10:00 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(02-16-2012 09:41 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  That new stadium while it looks shiny from the outside has quickly turned into a crack house inside like the surrounding neighborhood.

Last season a game was almost postphoned because someone committed suicide on the 50 yard line prior to a football game.

This past fall former starting QB Chris Jacquemain died of a Heroin overdose at age of 22. He got his teammate S Tyler Campbell hooked and he overdosed this summer. What crappy leadership at the QB position.

I don't think Akron is a good environment for players. Infocision Stadium has quickly become a center for drug dealing, a fancy crack house.

wow. this is pretty harsh.
02-16-2012 10:05 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
The A-10 is a competitive basketball league with, for the most part, tight geography, low cost, among many schools of similar cultures.
But it isn't a big revenue generator; I doubt their TV deal is compelling and they don't generate a ton of NCAA bids.
So, if the Alliance can throw some big TV numbers at them, it wouldn't surprise me to bring a 2-4 team cohort of the more ambitious of the A-10, if that's going to be our approach.

Our goal needs to be to compete with the BE.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 10:11 AM by DrBox.)
02-16-2012 10:07 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2012 10:05 AM)No Bull Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 09:41 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  That new stadium while it looks shiny from the outside has quickly turned into a crack house inside like the surrounding neighborhood.

wow. this is pretty harsh.

I'm getting my crack house analogy from a fancy apartment building built nearby to where I live.

I was reading the reviews on the apartments built in a rough area and since they couldn't get the rents to pay off debt on the project they contracted out to an out patient mental health clinic to fill the apartment. The patients were screaming and making noise at all hours of the night. One morning someone was found covered in blood and feeces on the floor....

I'm not suggesting the next move for Akron will be to contract its football stadium out to service the mentally ill but something about the environment there is just not right.
02-16-2012 10:26 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2012 09:53 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Louis - I love the way you represent your school. Since message board insults are not driving expansion, I would bet that the 16 Alliance presidents and their athletic directors are gathering or have gathered all the pertinent info regarding tv value. If the Bobcats have as much tv value and potential in the state of Ohio as you indicate, it would not be surprising at all if the Alliance was interested. I'm sure Toledo is of interest too.

But my question to you is, are either of these schools interested at all in leaving their long association with the MAC? You also mentioned the heavy concentration, duplication within markets, as a strong point for the MAC. That is normally seen by those looking for more tv money as detrimental and it's why NMSU is not truly on the radar for the Alliance. They sit within the same DMA as UTEP. A really huge market, like Houston, could double up but not an average size market. So, if Toledo or Ohio are interested in gaining some additional tv money and more national exposure, would they be interested?

I can't speak for Toledo but I think Ohio would be interested in leaving the MAC for more national exposure but I don't see where they can pick up more than what they are getting with the MAC.

Ohio was on a ESPN network 6 straight weeks this past fall. That is better exposure than many BCS schools. Since the MAC signed a new TV deal with ESPN in 2008 the conference has become better every year and I think it has to do with recruiting.

The MAC is not making a lot of cash under its current deal but I believe that will change when its renegotiated in 2016. There is no point in going to the alliance if the MAC can have everything the alliance does in a couple of years.

It would be in the best interest of the school to stay in the MAC while other schools are sucked into the alliance and flushed down the toilet of obscurity on CBS College Sports.
02-16-2012 10:46 AM
ECUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-16-2012 07:55 AM)NoQuarter08 Wrote:  The more and more I think about this I think it might be Xavier. They're in Cincinatti, have great basketball to help sure up the East division and Temple might be interested if they come.

I think it's Xavier or Toledo.

If we are competing the way the Big East is planning to compete through big tv markets and ncaa tourney credits, I agree that it could be Xavier for two reasons. One is it could be what it takes to get Temple for all sports and brings two good basketball ncaa tourney programs while hurting the A10 or Two is Xavier could be the nonfootball sports to offset Temple being footall only.

Either way, it is certain that AQ status is going away which is why the Big East Commish has talked so much about tv markets and basketball while the other five conferences are talking about football so why could the merger conference not do the same thing now that AQ status is going away. While the merger conference can not get the same money as the Power 5 conferences, I think with right tv markets and basketball credits, our revenues will increase while Big East will have some problems increasing their revenues to the Power 5 level (if not fall some or simply stay the same as now) without the AQ status.
02-16-2012 11:14 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
okay, i'd been reluctant to write this earlier.. just because I thought it was TOO much of a stretch.... but what if the League/Alliance was considering the LOOK of a mini-D1 within the D1 ranks?

(forgive the spacing... i wasn't paying attention too much to white space while I was typing this up)

Code:
Pacfiic                 Mountain               Central            Eastern

All Sports:           Fresno State          Colorado State         Rice               ECU
                         UNLV                    Air Force           Tulane            Marshall
                         Nevada                 UTEP               USM                ?ODU
                         New Mexico           Wyoming              UAB                 ?UMass
                         Utah State            Tulsa                 ?Arkansas St.    ?UNCC
Football Only:       Hawaii                  ?Toledo                 ?La Tech           ?Temple
Basketball only:     ?Gonzaga             ?Wichita State         ?Xavier              ?Dayton

Now admittedly, the ? teams would vary by membership, and these are NOT necessarily optimal choices... (for instance UNCC's not ready for All-Sports, although they claim they are.). But you end up with a series of 6-team divisions for Football and a slightly different 6-team division for Basketball.

LIke I said, it was something that I was thinking about after one of the earlier posts.. (No, I'm not saying this is where it's going), and it could cause problems is Temple for instance wanted to go All-Sports.

If you have baseball squad, then it's just merged into a one-all baseball team conference...(you can break it down to 2 divisions if you've got too many teams).
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2012 11:43 AM by DaSaintFan.)
02-16-2012 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-16-2012 11:40 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  okay, i'd been reluctant to write this earlier.. just because I thought it was TOO much of a stretch.... but what if the League/Alliance was considering the LOOK of a mini-D1 within the D1 ranks?

(forgive the spacing... i wasn't paying attention too much to white space while I was typing this up)

Code:
Pacfiic                 Mountain               Central            Eastern

All Sports:           Fresno State          Colorado State         Rice               ECU
                         UNLV                    Air Force           Tulane            Marshall
                         Nevada                 UTEP               USM                ?ODU
                         New Mexico           Wyoming              UAB                 ?UMass
                         Utah State            Tulsa                 ?Arkansas St.    ?UNCC
Football Only:       Hawaii                  ?Toledo                 ?La Tech           ?Temple
Basketball only:     ?Gonzaga             ?Wichita State         ?Xavier              ?Dayton

Now admittedly, the ? teams would vary by membership, and these are NOT necessarily optimal choices... (for instance UNCC's not ready for All-Sports, although they claim they are.). But you end up with a series of 6-team divisions for Football and a slightly different 6-team division for Basketball.

LIke I said, it was something that I was thinking about after one of the earlier posts.. (No, I'm not saying this is where it's going), and it could cause problems is Temple for instance wanted to go All-Sports.

If you have baseball squad, then it's just merged into a one-all baseball team conference...(you can break it down to 2 divisions if you've got too many teams).

I really like, in fact LOVE, the idea of 4 nonfootball DI playing schools basically from or close to each time zone (thinky would have to put Witcha State in Mountain time zone since not a good basketball only school in that zone) as it strenghtens merger conference basketball while weakening A10/MVC/WCC (or CAA if didn't do an eastern team from A10) in terms of basketball ncaa tourney credits BUT i hope we do not go pass 18 all sports schools and could live with 20 all sports if the reason is to increase tv revenue/basketball reasons just discussed/need 9 conference football games since other conferences are going to more conference football games. However, I bet if we go more than 18, it will be with Hawaii and one other as football only playing schools.
02-16-2012 12:25 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

ECUgrad....BYU would be a great non-football addition to the Mountain Time zone.
02-16-2012 12:38 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
i didn't even think about BYU.. but then again, the MWC crowd seems to have some really bad feelings toward them over their departure and the Utah State scenario.
02-16-2012 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.