Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not starting trouble guys..
Bookmark and Share
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Not starting trouble guys..
..sounds like they'll almost have to play bowl games against each other..not enough other conferences to hook up with if they go to 24 teams. What a mess.....schools that have little in common (other than a hope to get more TV revenue), no rivalries, no history, no nothing really. It'l break up (in small pieces) almost as quickly as it's put together.
02-13-2012 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
(02-13-2012 04:10 PM)IULurker Wrote:  After this new conference grows to 20 it won't be too long before the best 12 teams ditch the rest and form a new conference. At that point the remaining 8 are in a world of hurt as they will be in a terrible FBS conference spread across the US with no major TV markets.

This.

Once upon a time the "old" WAC doubled in size. Then most of the original members became disenchanted and bolted to create the Mountain West. Here we go again?

Similarly, no one should be surprised if the Catholic schools within the few years, say "No Mas", and leave the Big East en mass (sic).
02-13-2012 06:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
I took a look at some of the threads over on the C-USA board and read the official announcement.....in that they suggest they could go from 16 all the way up to 24 teams. And the teams they mention at adding mostly dilute the conference IMHO. I know they are all excited about adding FIU because is supposedly brings a Florida market. Did you see how much of a "market" they brought when they played Marshall in the Beef o Brady's Bowl. Yeah, maybe 6,000 fans in a bowl a few hours drive from campus. The bowl itself announced attendance of 20K, but no way they had much more than half that amount. I just don't see why they want to do this, and I also can't see the C-USA teams getting more per team in TV revenue from this mess. Now, if they just stick with 16 or maybe up to 18 teams, even though I still don't see it holding together, at least there'd be pretty good quality in that league with mostly current MWC/C-USA membership.

That one Marshall guy over there is literally dizzy with delight over the thought of a 24 school monstrosity. What a mess that would be.
02-13-2012 06:49 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-13-2012 03:44 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(02-13-2012 03:43 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(02-13-2012 03:31 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
Quote:Universities involved in the discussions were the United States Air Force Academy, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Colorado State University, East Carolina University, Fresno State, University of Hawaii, Marshall University, University of Nevada, Reno, University of New Mexico, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Rice University, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Texas at El Paso, Tulane University, The University of Tulsa and University of Wyoming. With the exception of Hawai'i as a football-only member, the participation would involve all sports.

I'm not seeing a single MAC school in there. So if you're not here to cause trouble, you're obviously here mistakenly. See ya.

lol. Those are the teams already in C-USA or MWC. Maybe you missed the part where we're going to 18-24 schools. Those teams have to come from somewhere.

Please leave...

I wouldn't take this poster too seriously, I bet he is a wvu fan just trying to keep up the MAC hate against Marshall.
02-13-2012 07:08 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
C-USA posters spend half their posting time disparaging other non BCS programs, esp the MAC and Sunbelt. Now they are ready to add the likes of FIU, FAU, N Texas, etc, etc., and tell us that they are going to get a better bucks per school TV deal. Man, that's hard to "buy". What are they thinking over there?
02-13-2012 08:24 PM
Bull_In_Exile Online
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-13-2012 06:30 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  ..sounds like they'll almost have to play bowl games against each other..not enough other conferences to hook up with if they go to 24 teams. What a mess.....schools that have little in common (other than a hope to get more TV revenue), no rivalries, no history, no nothing really. It'l break up (in small pieces) almost as quickly as it's put together.

Exactly there is nothing but mass holding this mess together.

Every confernece has one, maybe two schools that don't fit the general profile or culture of the conferneces bulk but in most cases there is another reason.

ACC - East Coach High Acheiving Academic Schools
BIG10 - Mid West AAU Members
SEC - Large Southern State Schools
PAC12 - Large State schools on the west coast
MAC - Medium to large midwest public schools in a small footprint
SBC - Medium to large south east public schools in a small footprint

Beyond sports these are institutions that might work with each other in research, common educational goals, standards. Like I said there is usually an outlier in every conference (Vandy in the SEC, UB in the MAC, Penn State (geography) in the B1G)... But even then those school are *close enough* that membership makes sense.

The Big East grew into a mess partially because the small Catholic Schools and the Large State schools had no common vision.

This mess will end the same way, politics will tear it apart because there is *nothing* other than a million dollars a year or so, holding these schools together.

Ill echo what an OU poster (might have been Ozoner) said..

I would rather See UB drop down to FCS and try to get a CAA / A10 membership than join this disaster in waiting.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 08:59 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
02-13-2012 08:53 PM
NIU007 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, nonAQ
(02-13-2012 08:24 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  C-USA posters spend half their posting time disparaging other non BCS programs, esp the MAC and Sunbelt. Now they are ready to add the likes of FIU, FAU, N Texas, etc, etc., and tell us that they are going to get a better bucks per school TV deal. Man, that's hard to "buy". What are they thinking over there?

I thought you were going to ask, what are they smoking over there?

It's true, they do spend an inordinate amount of time looking down at the other non-AQ conferences. Then get upset when the AQ conferences do that to them.
02-13-2012 08:55 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!
The new MWC/CUSA merger is a joke, and will not last. Have fun splitting a per-chance-slightly bigger pie a million ways... it would be a downgrade for any MAC school. Lets build from within while the rest of the country runs around like chickens with there heads cut off.
02-13-2012 09:48 PM
BarnardHall211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: the Chippewas
I hope their champion's big bowl berth is the Little Caesar's Bowl.

03-lmfao
02-13-2012 10:17 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Judging by the comments on this thread I'm guessing that there are going to be some disappointed fans.
02-13-2012 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.