Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis? More like MEHmphis.
Bookmark and Share
bamassippi Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Memphis? More like MEHmphis.
"Meh."

My reaction to the Big East taking Memphis, which is essentially a basketball-only school in a conference realignment battle being driven by football.

We'll (we = CUSA & USM) be just fine, though the following will be missed:
- An easy away game. Driving to Memphis is easy and makes for a fun weekend... except for the fact that we play them every Thanksgiving Day weekend, and using my prolonged break from work to spend 24-48 hours wandering Beale Stareet/overpaying for a stay at the Peabody only to watch us romp Memphis in a ghetto stadium will not be missed.
- The loss of a rivalry. Of all FBS teams, Southern Miss has played Memphis more than any other university. 62 meetings between us overall. Bye-bye "Black & Blue" games.
- TV market. Memphis has a metro area of 1.3M, which isn't tops, but it's nothing to scoff at losing. Yes, it's dominated by Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi State fans, but not having Memphis will hurt in TV negotiations.
02-08-2012 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

the1sttransport Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tolerance
RE: Memphis? More like MEHmphis.
Rise Above Hate
02-08-2012 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Wow....the shots at the Memphis football program continue.
02-08-2012 02:38 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Haters gonna hate, ballers gonna ball, I don't want none of the above, I want to piss on you.
02-08-2012 02:39 PM

EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tyranny
(02-08-2012 01:04 PM)bamassippi Wrote:  "Meh."

My reaction to the Big East taking Memphis, which is essentially a basketball-only school in a conference realignment battle being driven by football.

- An easy away game. Driving to Memphis is easy and makes for a fun weekend... except for the fact that we play them every Thanksgiving Day weekend, and using my prolonged break from work to spend 24-48 hours wandering Beale Stareet/overpaying for a stay at the Peabody only to watch us romp Memphis in a ghetto stadium will not be missed.
- The loss of a rivalry. Of all FBS teams, Southern Miss has played Memphis more than any other university. 62 meetings between us overall. Bye-bye "Black & Blue" games.
- TV market. Memphis has a metro area of 1.3M, which isn't tops, but it's nothing to scoff at losing. Yes, it's dominated by Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi State fans, but not having Memphis will hurt in TV negotiations.

I understand and feel your frustration, considering we've been suffering together for many years, but you might want to rein in some of the bravado.

Memphis is 4-6 in football against Southern Miss in the last 10 years. Almost dead even in your flagship sport, and hardly a "romp in a ghetto stadium." It's probably better not to discuss the basketball record during that same time frame.

Best of luck to the Golden Eagles, and hope you guys will be with us again in the very near future.
02-08-2012 02:46 PM
umtiger22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers & Hogs
Haha. Your stadium looks like it's held together by bird sh*t.
02-08-2012 02:49 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
UM fans, don't answer these posts, just label them as one of the 5 stages of grief and move on:
denial - I'll wait for the official announcement
anger - We didn't need X, they sucked at Y anyway (See OP)
bargaining - Wait 'til their new conference fails
depression - Ohh lawdy, we done moving to the FCS
acceptance - Nothing has really changed, we have almost as much chance making a BCS bowl game as team X
02-08-2012 03:00 PM

cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

I Root For: Brewpubs
My Dad is from Arkansas and always said thank God for Mississippi.
02-08-2012 03:03 PM
gotigers1 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(02-08-2012 01:04 PM)bamassippi Wrote:  "Meh."

How sweet..we're gonna miss you too.
02-08-2012 03:09 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
LOLOL some sub-30 poster stirs the pot and y'all all bite.
02-08-2012 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.