Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football map
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
RE: Football map
I can appreciate the concept, but a glaring problem with this map is ND. They have fans nationally; however, on the map they appear to be a smallish section of Indiana. That is not accurate. BYU, to a much lesser extent, is in a similar boat to ND.
02-02-2012 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
I agree with a lot of you on the map.. Who ever drew it up did a great job and it's base on football..

That's why you got few FCS schools that can pull their weight with fan, and winning..

Got the map from Roadyville UTSA fan site, and even if ain't perfect gives us a great map to discuss..

Some one I'm sure can even make it better.... Hear the older to compare.. [Image: CFB+Beta.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 01:40 PM by Fear The Frog.)
02-02-2012 01:33 PM
GuardmanToo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: America
(02-02-2012 01:31 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I can appreciate the concept, but a glaring problem with this map is ND. They have fans nationally; however, on the map they appear to be a smallish section of Indiana. That is not accurate. BYU, to a much lesser extent, is in a similar boat to ND.

Missed Army and Navy.
02-02-2012 01:56 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
What you can't really show with a map like this is the reach of not just ND/BYU, but other programs with a significant regional or national following. A given school's color would be deepest in the home regions shown, but to be more realistic you'd have things like a fading maroon circumference centered on Los Angeles, a fading burnt orange circumference centered on Austin, a fading blue circumference centered on Ann Arbor, etc. that would reach out into neighboring areas.
02-02-2012 02:32 PM
IceJus10 Online
All American

I Root For: Sports
Split Indiana up differently and just trim the US in gold for Notre Dame (or at last trim from Indiana and east-northeastward in gold) LOL
02-02-2012 02:40 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
I always preferred the Commoncensus map because it uses real data, even if it is two years out of date. I wish the guy would update it.

http://www.commoncensus.org/sports_hotspot.php?sport=5
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 02:56 PM by uakronkid.)
02-02-2012 02:55 PM
WilsonPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
I posted this map of North Carolina on another thread. I think the point is to show proportionally the fan composition of each state, and roughly where the fan concentrations are. Broad generalization.

For NC, it is true that there are fans of all schools across the state, and that a majority are either UNC or NCSU fans, the diaspora roughly even statewide. ECU fans are the largest minority by a wide margin, and the concentration of Pirate fans downeast dwarf that of either UNC or NCSU. Duke has a small following statewide (not necessarily concentrated in Durham). However, I've never met a Duke alum who was actually FROM North Carolina, and many Blue Devil fans in this state couldn't spell DUKE if you spotted them the D, K, and E. Wake fans are very rare. If you spot one in the wild, you're probably in Winston-Salem, and have either made your way to a prayer breakfast or Tim Duncan autograph signing. Please take lots of pictures and send them to the Smithsonian.

[Image: NCInterestMap.jpg]
02-02-2012 03:03 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
(02-02-2012 02:55 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  I always preferred the Commoncensus map because it uses real data, even if it is two years out of date. I wish the guy would update it.

http://www.commoncensus.org/sports_hotspot.php?sport=5

That's nice but you can't see anything. With the text and these colors its hard to tell who is who.
02-02-2012 03:07 PM
SMUstang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(02-02-2012 12:38 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 12:09 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  I'm not biased of course. But giving TCU that much area and SMU that little area is ridicules.

Well, as an Iowa fan I would say his Iowa/Iowa State comparison isn't on the mark either. Iowa State's area would be slightly larger but I think he is going purely on football power with these comparisons.

Michigan would probably be larger as well if this was based on anything but recent success at sports.

In that light I think his TCU/SMU comparison is pretty much on the money.

We all know SMU is on the rise.

Who won the SMU vs TCU game in 2011 in Fort Worth?
02-02-2012 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
This is a more accurate depiction of IL.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3857]
Please keep in mind that the part of IL that matters (population, economy, political) is the Northern Illinois Region.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 12:41 PM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
02-02-2012 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.