AnnapolisPirate Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: IF THE BIG EAST FAILS TO TAKE ECU, THEN IT IS DUMBER THEN IT LOOKS
(12-21-2011 01:04 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 12:32 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 12:08 PM)ivet Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 12:03 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  
(12-21-2011 11:55 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Buck I missed you. Your insults of ECU are way more subtle than everyone else. They just throw out butt hurt and u mad pics, but you go that extra mile to troll us. You actually appear to put in some effort in it, so glad to see you back keep up the good work. 04-cheers

You may find subtlety because there is no insult. I asked a question and have yet to hear a legitimate response. If ECU believes it has proven itself AQ worthy then why are ECU fans bombarding Big East administrators and fans rather than the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big XII or Pac 12?

I have wondered that myself and from numerous post I've come across, it is basically because the BE members are undeserving of their AQ status. That is to say the BE is the weakest of the AQs and ECU's facilities, record, support, etc... surpass at least half of the BE teams. That is the reason why they feel the need to release their hounds on the BE. But maybe they can elaborate on this a little more.

I don't really see why that would be hard to figure out. 3 of the 6 AQ leagues make zero sense from a geography standpoint. The only 3 that do are the SEC, ACC, and BE. Of those 3 it's always been quite obvious that the BE is the only one of those that's promoting non-AQ teams. There's a pecking order, and right now we are in the 7th spot and the BE is 6th. The only example of a team jumping straight from a non-AQ to one of the big 5 is Utah. Even TCU had to pitstop kinda in the BE before getting the B12 birth. The BE is where you look if your a non-AQ and want to move up.

Geography doesn't matter nearly as much as it did decades ago. BC is in the ACC many states away from their nearest conference mates. Colorado is in the PAC 12. Missouri is in the SEC-probably the EAST division. WVU is in the Big XII. USF is in the Big East and will soon be joined by a host of western programs. If ECU believed it were AQ qualified then it would be trying to sell itself to AQ conferences--any and all of them. It is obvious by its inaction towards other conferences that ECU doesn't believe that it meets those requirements --and other BCS conferences also haven't found ECU worthy of inclusion-yet there are "attacks" from the ECU contingent due to the Big East finding the same?
Why should the Big East choose any differently? They like all the others invite the programs that meet their criteria to give them their best chance of success in the areas they deem important. ECU hasn't been found to meet the necessary criteria and has therefore not been invited.

You make many assumptions then state as "obvious" your opinion.

Geography is a factor and is a negative to the Big East's expansion. It was/is negative in CUSA, and the WAC will tell you how their overexpansion and spread out geography hurt them. Most ECU fans will tell you that they prefer a more localized conference. The problem is, we don't wish to lower the level of our competition to do it.

I agree that geography is less of a factor than it used to be, but that doesn't make distance a good thing. Wva wanted out of the Beast and the B12 is an upgrade. Hence the reason to ignore geography. If there was a choice between the SEC and B12, I think Wva would have decided the SEC made more sense.

By the way, ECU WAS hitting up the message boards for the SEC and did as well for the ACC. Like has been stated, we pay more attention to the Big East as that appears to be the conference MORE LIKELY to expand. And the most likely suitor for us because it is the weakest AQ conference. When comparing support, facilities etc, we also compare more favorably to Big East schools than the SEC etc. Plus, in terms of competition (apart from basketball) the Big East is far less of a jump than with the SEC etc.

We don't put a lot of effort into the ACC, as it seems well settled that they don't want a 5th school in NC. That's too bad because I'd love to see ECU in the ACC. SEC too because ECU fans are closer to SEC fans. I believe the same can be said for WVU.
12-21-2011 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF THE BIG EAST FAILS TO TAKE ECU, THEN IT IS DUMBER THEN IT LOOKS - AnnapolisPirate - 12-21-2011 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.