Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Herb Jones can still keep up on hardwood
Herb Jones can still keep up on hardwood
11:14 PM, Jun. 17, 2011

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20110617&...p;Border=0]
Enquirer file/Gary Landers
Herb Jones (right), who played on UC's Final Four team 19 years ago, still plays summer basketball.

CINCINNATI -- Even at 40, Herb Jones still cuts a striking figure at 6-foot-4 and more than 200 pounds.

The body that 19 years ago helped Bob Huggins and the Bearcats advance to the Final Four as the leading scorer and first-team all-conference small forward still remains.

Only now it is preparing to work its way up and down the court at Woodward High School with men half his age.

Jones will be back for his seventh year in the Deveroes Summer League when it opens at noon Saturday at Woodward, with former college and pro players like Jones competing against dozens of current college players from UC, Xavier, Miami, Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati State.

And seven years after he played his last professional game, Jones still says he has something to teach the younger players.

"I am not going to say I am as quick as I used to be," Jones said. "But I can still play some good help defense and make guys do things they don't want to do."

Jones, who spends his time working at Westchester Distributing and dropping in to help coach the Tru Playaz AAU team with fellow UC alum Armein Kirkland, has played in the Deveroes league since finishing up a European professional career in Portugal in 2004.

During that time he has seen future NBA players Derrick Brown, Jordan Crawford and Lance Stephenson come through, among the dozens of NBA players to play in the summer league throughout its 26 years.

Originally an open gym at Woodward, the league has evolved into a college showcase, with league directors setting up rules to highlight incoming college talent.

Only two returning players from the same college are allowed on one team, so the veteran college players are dispersed evenly across the 10 teams.

Yet incoming players are not subject to the restrictions, so this year six incoming UC freshmen will play for SLATS and five of Xavier's new faces will play for Deer Park Roofing.

But on Jones' S.I. Pool Care team, he expects a different feel.

"The league is mostly for the college guys," Jones said. "I like to make sure my teams play defense and slide over for help. It helps them to practice good habits."

It is the same principles Jones uses twice a month as he travels to Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus and Dayton with the Cincinnati Traveling League, a group of former professionals who compete recreationally.

The games keep Jones looking like his old self and allow him to be confident when facing down players barely born when he led UC to Minneapolis.

"They are tough," Jones said. "But I am an ex-pro. I know what I can do against anybody. Even if they are younger, I can still make my moves."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110...RONTPAGE|s

06-18-2011 01:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalCouple Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UC
RE: Herb Jones can still keep up on hardwood
Saw Herb at Paul Brown Stadium serving me beer today at the UC v UL game. Love the guy. I wouldn't want him blocking me out trying to grab a rebound.

10-15-2011 08:39 PM
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Herb Jones was a beer vendor?

10-16-2011 07:00 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(10-16-2011 07:00 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Herb Jones was a beer vendor?

Don't know about that (that was a UL poster with 1 post) but the original article says:
Quote:Jones, who spends his time working at Westchester Distributing

10-16-2011 10:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.