Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reopening our previous debate on nuclear power
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Reopening our previous debate on nuclear power
(03-25-2011 12:21 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  From the log: "...seawater injection continues..." How does this work? Where's the "spent" seawater going?

Good question, and I don't really know. Some of it is evaporating, some is probably running off into the ocean. The idea of the torus around the reactor base is to filter out radioactive isotopes and cool the steam coming out of the reactor. I'm not sure how much of those elements are coming out into the facility grounds and/or directly to sea, but I'd expect that there is more release that's going to sea at this stage than is going outside of the plant grounds on land through the air.

To what extent that poses a danger will probably depend on monitoring. But over time, it will be dispersed into the sea and probably won't concentrate in any one area enough to be very dangerous.

Two notes on the isotopes that are being discussed as primary dangers - these are the ones that would be released through the spent fuel pools. The shorter-lived isotopes generally should have decayed inside the reactor by now. Radioactive iodine has a half-life on the order of 8 days. Within three months, it is effectively "gone" from the location of its release, assuming relatively small quantities, to (it would go to 1/1024 the initial concentration, which has thus far been pretty low outside the plant grounds). Cesium has a half life of 30 years. That's the one that has been of concern in and around Chernobyl. Basically, the shorter the half-life, the more "active" it is in terms of giving off radiation. The danger that each isotope has depends on the type of radiation it gives off, the chemical properties of the isotope, and how it interacts with the body.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2011 12:44 PM by I45owl.)
03-25-2011 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reopening our previous debate on nuclear power - I45owl - 03-25-2011 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.