Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Current Big East TV Contract
Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Current Big East TV Contract
If Nova says yes, I will be interested in seeing their attendance numbers. Will they be like a Northwestern or Vandy or will it be more in line with a Duke?

It's nice to say you have that market but who will actually be watching. That's the big question.
02-01-2011 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If you build it they will come. Maybe only 2 of them, but they will come.
02-01-2011 08:47 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(01-31-2011 09:50 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Someone posted this over on are rival site about possibly getting 15million per football school as well in the first post mentioning the ESPN has guaranteed no less than 10million per school.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=7131234

Hopefully the copy paste works for me for some time I end up having issues in doing so, and I am going to copy this in another thread as well for it talks about Nova moving up also.

There's no real basis for that $15 million per year number - that was just a random number thrown out. I could possibly see the all-sports schools getting $10 million - I'd see that as the very upper limit and the league ought to be ecstatic if it got that figure. Realistically, a doubling of today's TV revenue (new revenue of $7 - 8 million per all-sports school) is most likely. As for any "guarantee" from ESPN, I highly doubt that's the case. Those guys are hardball negotiators to the core, so that's not really how they operate. They have a lot of money, but that doesn't mean they just throw it around. To the contrary, they're extremely calculated.
02-01-2011 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-01-2011 08:29 AM)Smokin Pirate Wrote:  If Nova says yes, I will be interested in seeing their attendance numbers. Will they be like a Northwestern or Vandy or will it be more in line with a Duke?

It's nice to say you have that market but who will actually be watching. That's the big question.

With respect to Villanova, the market doesn't matter. They are currently a member of the BE, so if they want to move up in football, then the BE will be open to them.

As for the market, I don't think Villanova will bring much. To the extent that Philly watches college football at all, it's really in support of Penn State. The main value that Villanova brings is a 10th football team without having to split another share of basketball revenue. Since basketball revenue is higher in the BE than football revenue, it could very well be the case that 10/17 membership with Villanova yields more money per school than 10/18 without Villanova and with UCF or Houston. The BE is what it is - BB is more valuable than FB in this conference and it likely always will be. I know a lot of people on this board believe that's a bad thing, but the BE has to work with what it has in terms of assets. Schools like Penn State and Notre Dame aren't walking through that door, and those are really the only types of schools that can truly prop up football revenue that people on this board would like to see. Adding C-USA schools aren't going to move the mark there. There's a lot of fuzzy math going on - if you were to believe UCF, Houston and ECU boosters, they would raise revenue for the BE in a manner that would be in excess of SEVERAL TIMES the value of the ENTIRE new C-USA TV contract. Seriously - that's what would have to happen for the BE to get up to $10 million per team in a 10 or 12 team football league. So, if they were that valuable, then why hasn't C-USA been getting paid like that already? And UCF or Houston or ECU alone in the BE is worth more than all 12 C-USA teams put together that they're a member of now? That's Enron-worthy accounting. Now, that's not to say UCF, Houston and/or ECU can't provide some value to the BE, but people get taken a lot more seriously if you're realistic about what you bring to the table.
02-01-2011 10:27 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Unless ESPN throws out a number well beyond even Tags/BE's models and it requires Nova, UCF, Houston within it to guarantee the dollars, then I sit tight and go about it on our own timeline and in the manner to listen to ESPn/Fox/Comcast/TBS...whoever else that wants to sit down within reason to present their proposals.

I'm sure if ESPN offers a very nice number with their preferred expansion teams they will want that number confidential and deal is off if we try to shop it around, so its a tight rope to walk with that. The safer bet is to not listen to just 1 tv provider but all of them along with the internal research and shop it out.
02-01-2011 10:33 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(02-01-2011 10:27 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 08:29 AM)Smokin Pirate Wrote:  If Nova says yes, I will be interested in seeing their attendance numbers. Will they be like a Northwestern or Vandy or will it be more in line with a Duke?

With respect to Villanova, the market doesn't matter. They are currently a member of the BE, so if they want to move up in football, then the BE will be open to them.

As for the market, I don't think Villanova will bring much. To the extent that Philly watches college football at all, it's really in support of Penn State. The main value that Villanova brings is a 10th football team without having to split another share of basketball revenue. Since basketball revenue is higher in the BE than football revenue, it could very well be the case that 10/17 membership with Villanova yields more money per school than 10/18 without Villanova and with UCF or Houston. The BE is what it is - BB is more valuable than FB in this conference and it likely always will be. I know a lot of people on this board believe that's a bad thing, but the BE has to work with what it has in terms of assets. Schools like Penn State and Notre Dame aren't walking through that door, and those are really the only types of schools that can truly prop up football revenue that people on this board would like to see. Adding C-USA schools aren't going to move the mark there. There's a lot of fuzzy math going on - if you were to believe UCF, Houston and ECU boosters, they would raise revenue for the BE in a manner that would be in excess of SEVERAL TIMES the value of the ENTIRE new C-USA TV contract. Seriously - that's what would have to happen for the BE to get up to $10 million per team in a 10 or 12 team football league. So, if they were that valuable, then why hasn't C-USA been getting paid like that already? And UCF or Houston or ECU alone in the BE is worth more than all 12 C-USA teams put together that they're a member of now? That's Enron-worthy accounting. Now, that's not to say UCF, Houston and/or ECU can't provide some value to the BE, but people get taken a lot more seriously if you're realistic about what you bring to the table.

Frank,
Your comparison of UH in CUSA vs UH in BE is apples and oranges. Houston and it's market can't bring $10 million contract to CUSA because UH is not bringing the products of WVU, PITT, USF, Georgetown, UCONN, Louisville, etc.
The same goes for UCF and ECU.

UH in a TV contract is equal to the some of it's parts.
It's parts in the BE add up to more than it does in CUSA. You can't argue that.
02-01-2011 10:35 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(02-01-2011 10:33 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Unless ESPN throws out a number well beyond even Tags/BE's models and it requires Nova, UCF, Houston within it to guarantee the dollars, then I sit tight and go about it on our own timeline and in the manner to listen to ESPn/Fox/Comcast/TBS...whoever else that wants to sit down within reason to present their proposals.

I'm sure if ESPN offers a very nice number with their preferred expansion teams they will want that number confidential and deal is off if we try to shop it around, so its a tight rope to walk with that. The safer bet is to not listen to just 1 tv provider but all of them along with the internal research and shop it out.

Absolutely, this is the plan I am sure.
02-01-2011 10:37 AM
Cromie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU, ETSU
(02-01-2011 10:35 AM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

Frank,
Your comparison of UH in CUSA vs UH in BE is apples and oranges. Houston and it's market can't bring $10 million contract to CUSA because UH is not bringing the products of WVU, PITT, USF, Georgetown, UCONN, Louisville, etc.

Correct the only team that is a Non AQ that the BE could get were They would not be losing money is TCU.

ECU and Co. cant do that.
02-01-2011 12:52 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(02-01-2011 12:52 PM)Cromie Wrote:  

Frank,

Correct the only team that is a Non AQ that the BE could get were They would not be losing money is TCU.

Do you know this for a fact, or is this just an uneducated guess?
02-01-2011 01:31 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
As for the topic at hand, the current BE contract is as follows

football - ESPN 6 years / $80 million
Basketball ESPN - 6 years / $138 million
CBS 6 years / $54 million

Breakdown on average football teams get $3.67 million per year and basketball only schools get about $2 million per year.

One thing I do not know is how these contracts are paid out. For example, most contracts are backloaded, meaning we may not have been getting the $39 million a year our contracts suggest, but possibly a smaller amount for the previous years, with a larger amount the last two years. Something lese that must be considered if they do decide to renew with ESPN: make sure we get the money due under the old contract.
02-01-2011 04:06 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(02-01-2011 10:27 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  There's a lot of fuzzy math going on - if you were to believe UCF, Houston and ECU boosters, they would raise revenue for the BE in a manner that would be in excess of SEVERAL TIMES the value of the ENTIRE new C-USA TV contract. Seriously - that's what would have to happen for the BE to get up to $10 million per team in a 10 or 12 team football league. So, if they were that valuable, then why hasn't C-USA been getting paid like that already?

The above poster has a point. Nebraska has been worth about has as much to the Big Ten as the entire current Big XII contract. Rutgers could have been worth about $20 million a year plus just in Big Ten Network subscriber fees (payable to the Big Ten), not including extra revenue from a championship game, not including any expectation of basic cable access in NYC, not including an increase in B10N advertising revenue (with 4 million more household clearances), not including additional TV inventory to sell, and not including the risdual exposure in the northeast, it woudl bring, yet it would still be worth more than the ENTIRE Big East football contract is today. So yes, what conference you are in, does affect how valuable a team can be, especially if you are talking a about a team that resides in a big market.

Now, I am not saying that Houston, UCF, etc are worth that much. But I am saying that he is correct in saying it is an unfair comparison to compare what a big market team would be worth in a conference that has no euqitable value per team, versus being in a larger, more profitable conference. Just like any Big East team might be worth 5-10 time more in the Big Ten per year than they are now, you can say a team would be more valuable per year in the Big East than they are in Conference USA.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 04:25 PM by adcorbett.)
02-01-2011 04:17 PM
Cromie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU, ETSU
(02-01-2011 01:31 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

Frank,

Look at it this way, ESPN told BE last year its FB teams will get no less than 10mil each. Two weeks ago they wanted to redo the contracts so they will not have to pay as much a year or so down the road. Now the BE schools might get 15+

What i was referring to is not potential but attribute right away. Similar to what the B10 is saying that a school must be able to provide at least 30mil a year in ref in order for expansion so the the other schools revenues will not be cut.

Is TCU racking in the 10-15 mil. I do not know but they are closer than others with their recent success with BCS games and the money from that. They do not have the fan base or sales though to fully cover but they are the closest.

If other teams are picked up that does not automatically provide a way to get these #'s the the FB schools who would get 15 mil would get 12 and the BB who get 7 would get 5.5-6 just to make everything even.

That is why i am saying TCU is a better fit at the moment. This is just and educated guess, to be honest i have not done enough research to see what each team or school could bring in. And I am sure that is the exact thing the BE is attempting to work it to see if it will be worth it financially.
02-01-2011 06:57 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

If the conference sticks, and a sweet deal can be made were the FB schools can garner 15million, and the BB schools are able to get 8-10million then there will be no way the conference splits IMO. I could live with the Hybrid then, but I would always like to see the all sports conference of 12 or 14 teams, but I think all those zero's on that check will help make things better.
02-01-2011 07:52 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(02-01-2011 07:52 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  If the conference sticks, and a sweet deal can be made were the FB schools can garner 15million, and the BB schools are able to get 8-10million then there will be no way the conference splits IMO. I could live with the Hybrid then, but I would always like to see the all sports conference of 12 or 14 teams, but I think all those zero's on that check will help make things better.

Good point. The main reason that most BE fans were clamoring for a split was to stabilize the BE. With $15 million a year just in tv dollars, that would go a long way in stabilizing the conference.
02-01-2011 09:09 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-01-2011 06:57 PM)Cromie Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 01:31 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 10:27 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  With respect to Villanova, the market doesn't matter. They are currently a member of the BE, so if they want to move up in football, then the BE will be open to them.

Frank,

Look at it this way, ESPN told BE last year its FB teams will get no less than 10mil each.

Did I miss this info? I keep seeing folks throwing the $15 million figure around. I would like to know when ESPN gauranteed the BE $10 million. I've only seen this come from internet posters. Is there n article that I missed, or something? I would like to get the link to this guarantee from ESPN.
02-01-2011 09:13 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'd like to see that link myself...
02-01-2011 09:23 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(02-01-2011 09:23 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'd like to see that link myself...

I am going to get ripped for saying this, but here goes. It is my understanding that Frank is the most accurate with his estimations. The preliminary offer has been made by ESPN. BE will now shop the offer and speak with other networks. The ball is rolling.
02-01-2011 09:51 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Frank has been on the money at times. But he's also missed his predictions by a mile a few times too. The thing about speculating on the future is that it's merely an educated guess, and guessing doesn't always turn out the way you'd like...
02-01-2011 10:33 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-01-2011 09:51 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

I am going to get ripped for saying this, but here goes. It is my understanding that Frank is the most accurate with his estimations. The preliminary offer has been made by ESPN. BE will now shop the offer and speak with other networks. The ball is rolling.

I respect Frank alot as he is one of the most insightful posters on this board, but I believe Frank to be off on his estimates. I believe that by the time that all is said and done, the BE is going to be right on par with the Acc tv deals. And I dont believe that the Big 12 schools are going to get much better than the acc if at all. Thats with the exception of Texas, TAM and Oklahoma.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 10:41 PM by cuseroc.)
02-01-2011 10:37 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(02-01-2011 10:37 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 09:51 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

I respect Frank alot as he is one of the most insightful posters on this board, but I believe Frank to be off on his estimates. I believe that by the time that all is said and done, the BE is going to be right on par with the Acc tv deals. And I dont believe that the Big 12 schools are going to get much better than the acc if at all. Thats with the exception of Texas, TAM and Oklahoma.

I am not saying that the number couldn't end up near where the ACC deal is at, especially if Comcast/NBC and Fox get in on it.
I am saying that the preliminary number from ESPN is nowhere near that, from what I have been told.
02-01-2011 10:54 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.