I'm proposing that we sticky this thread and make it required reading for all members of the NIU Dog Pound, present and future. A lot of good history has been posted on the 479+ pages of this board. But the posts get lost in a thread with an unrelated subject or are hard to find if you even remember them. Since NIU is missing Mike Korcek (since June 2009) and his supreme knowledge of Huskie history, maybe we can keep some of it alive right here in the Dog Pound. Maybe Mike will even add a few things to the thread, because I am 110% sure he checks the board (hint).
Therefore, I am proposing that:
1. We post articles or links to articles of historic NIU interest here.
2. We stay on topic. If you want to go OT, post it elsewhere.
New NIU students, alums, Huskie fans, fans from enemy schools, etc. can read about our history, which is always in the making
. If anyone thinks that posting stuff about NIU's 1963 College Division national championship makes us seem like a non-major, too bad. It's where we came from and is part of our history. If you read these articles, you'll find we grew from:
1. 5,500 seat Glidden Field with wooden bleachers on the current Art Building site to
2. The Stadium (no name until May 1974) with concete west stands and about 20,257 seats to
3. Huskie Stadium with a somewhat matching east side in 1995 and about 31,000 seats. (I'm conveniently overlooking the later reduction to 28,000/24,000 seats. Hey, we have the Yordon! Gotta do something with the south side and berm.)
Anybody with me on this? If you like the idea but you think we're getting too many stickies, is there a way to combine it with the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread?
BTW, rabidawg900's Red And Black Attck has most of this stuff, so that's a good source of Huskie history. http://www.redandblackattack.com/
In any case, to start this as a "normal" thread or an "important" thread, here are a few of items of NIU history that have been posted previously:
1. The Huskie Hall of Fame in the Convocation looks great. Fans can read an article about the HOF by Mike Korcek in the summer 2009 Northern Now. See pages 8-11. There's a picture of George Bork. And go see the HOF next time you are on campus.
2. The George Bork 11/11/1963 Sports Illustrated article along with the Hustle Belt link.
3. The George Bork College Footfall Hall of the College article from Football Historical Society August 1999.
4. Leshon Johnson 8/30/1993 article in SI posted by BigDog.
5. "Unknown, Undefeated…Led by in-state kids with something to prove, Northern Illinois has crashed the rankings and become the underdog favorite of 2003" from the 10/13/2003 SI.
6. "Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium" article from 2005 - it looks like it is from Huskie Illustrated.
Sorry, I'll stop drinking the Huskie Kool-Aid now.