Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern/Appy State package deal to the Sunbelt?
Bookmark and Share
GSU Eagles Online
All American

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Georgia Southern/Appy State package deal to the Sunbelt?
What do you guys think about a Georgia Southern App State package deal to the Sunbelt? A lot of GSU and App State fans like this because it maintains our great rivalry and renews the old MTSU rivalry and for GSU potentially a great rivalry with Troy and other SB teams.

Some advantages of this combo:
Adds 9 IAA national championships in FB (6 GSU 3 App St)
Expands conference east into GA and NC
GSU and App would likely be very competitive on the field which would help the SB reputation as a tough conference. State of GA has 155 FBS signees a year an only 2 FBS schools so GSU would likely attract tons of talent.

GSU recently had our feasability study completed and the fans and students are very much for moving to FBS. The consultants estimated that GSU would average 23-24k attendance immediately in the SB and by 2020 GSU will have 25k undergraduate students on campus.

What do you think? I think GSU and App St are the perfect fit for the SB and all parties involved would benefit.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2009 05:28 PM by GSU Eagles.)
08-13-2009 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

sotsclarinet08 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TROY
RE: Georgia Southern/App State package deal to the Sunbelt?
Ga Southern and App State would be great additions! They both get more attendance at their games than most of the Belt, even some of the top SBC teams. So that alone is a great incentive. Having Ga Southern would help get Georgia into the market and round out the Southeast for the Belt. If Troy didn't grab me with the music scholarship I got then I would have gone to Ga Southern lol... App State is just a overall great school and their football IMO is better than UNT, WKU, and ULL... Heck they took down Michigan...

So I say, Where's the contract? lol 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2009 09:53 PM by sotsclarinet08.)
08-13-2009 09:49 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I think Tx State/UTSA would also be a good package deal. TX state, solid Southland program undergoing stadium upgrades, UTSA to play in 65K seat Alamodome, good recruiting area, in largest city in the country w/out an NFL or D1A team (although they plan to upgrade to FBS as soon as they get an invite, from what I hear).
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2009 09:58 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
08-13-2009 09:56 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Its been discussed a lot on here actually.
(08-13-2009 09:03 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Some advantages of this combo:
Adds 9 IAA national championships in FB (6 GSU 3 App St) That doesn't matter in FBS
Expands conference east into GA and NC Good for the eastern schools, but not UNT/Denver/etc.
GSU and App would likely be very competitive on the field which would help the SB reputation as a tough conference. FBS week-in/week-out is harder than you think. Ask everyone who made the jump . . .

Personally? I like it. But, right now I'm of the opinion of just saying NO to expansion. We're at a good # now, and with USA coming in it makes it worse (#s wise).

No matter who it is, any addition will bring down the average level of the belt.

And if you can get 24,000 per game in through the transition and beyond, then more power to ya.
08-13-2009 10:03 PM

SpaceRaider Online
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(08-13-2009 09:03 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  What do you guys think about a Georgia Southern App State package deal to the Sunbelt? A lot of GSU and App State fans like this because it maintains our great rivalry and renews the old MTSU rivalry and for GSU potentially a great rivalry with Troy and other SB teams.

GSU and App would likely be very competitive on the field which would help the SB reputation as a tough conference. State of GA has 155 FBS signees a year an only 2 FBS schools so GSU would likely attract tons of talent.

GSU recently had our feasability study completed and the fans and students are very much for moving to FBS. The consultants estimated that GSU would average 23-24k attendance immediately in the SB and by 2020 GSU will have 25k undergraduate students on campus.

What do you think? I think GSU and App St are the perfect fit for the SB and all parties involved would benefit.

I don't see the economic advantage for the Sun Belt to add any additional programs, but if there were advantages for the conference to expand, I have long thought it would be better to add Ga Southern and App State than start ups or much less successful 1aa programs in term of championship tradition and support.
08-13-2009 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(08-13-2009 09:03 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  What do you guys think about a Georgia Southern App State package deal to the Sunbelt? A lot of GSU and App State fans like this because it maintains our great rivalry and renews the old MTSU rivalry and for GSU potentially a great rivalry with Troy and other SB teams.

Upgrade your facilities, double your athletic budget, quit talking about the I-AA NCs 20 years ago. Then get a new A.D. that hasn't pissed off the entire conference.
08-13-2009 10:35 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
No thanks. The Sun Belt should stay with what we have, 10 for football (when USA completes move up) and 12 for basketball (when Denver finds a more suitable home). Absolutely no need to expand. If the conference were to expand in the future Arkansas State, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette and North Texas would most probably prefer a couple of teams in the southwest. That would provide a distinct east-west division split.

EAST
FIU
FAU
Troy
Muts
WKU
USA

WEST
ASU
ULL
ULM
UNT
???
???

REMOVED !
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2009 10:56 PM by MeanGreen61.)
08-13-2009 10:38 PM

thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(08-13-2009 10:38 PM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  No thanks. The Sun Belt should stay with what we have, 10 for football (when USA completes move up) and 12 for basketball (when Denver finds a more suitable home). Absolutely no need to expand. If the conference were to expand in the future Arkansas State, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette and North Texas would most probably prefer a couple of teams in the southwest. hat would give a distinct east-west division split.

EAST
FIU
FAU
Troy
Muts
WKU
USA

WEST
ASU
ULL
ULM
UNT
???
???

[Image: SBC.jpg]

Circle Star!?! You're re-posting that anachronistic abomination?? Booo!

For shame, sir! Report to Scrappy for 10 lashes, immediately.
08-13-2009 10:40 PM
ManzanoWolf Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte

Well, both GSU and Appie State have a lot of tradition and a good fan base. They are certainly schools deserving of attention as they are at the top of FCS. However, the transition to FBS is not a cake walk.
08-13-2009 10:56 PM
WKULooseCannon90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
As the last time WKU and Ga. Southern played (2002) it was a very good day. I can see that to be a regular occurrence.
08-13-2009 11:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.