Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East eyes bowl changes, scheduling policy
Bookmark and Share
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
So what changes do you expect? Any thoughts on who the Big East is wining and dining this week?

March 12, 2009 9:24 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

The Big East's main focus this week is on New York City, where the men's basketball tournament is being played at Madison Square Garden. But there's a little bit of football talk going on in the Big Apple, too.
Outgoing league commissioner Mike Tranghese met with media members on Wednesday night and spoke about some of the issues the conference faces. The biggest priority on the football side remains improving the Big East bowl tie-ins, Desmond Connor reports in the Hartford Courant. The league had a meeting of all 16 presidents on Wednesday afternoon, and Tranghese said 40 minutes of that meeting were devoted to talking about bowls.
"Close to getting it done," he said. "I don't know what I want to tell you because, you know, I haven't even told our people much. I just said, 'trust me, you know, we're working at it.' We're in the middle of this basketball tournament but we're talking to a lot of people. In fact, we've got some of our bowl partners here as guests. Football teams do come to Madison Square Garden."
Tranghese also told the St. Petersburg Times' Greg Auman that the Big East may adopt new scheduling policies after Florida International dropped South Florida to play Rutgers earlier this year.
"It's over with now, and I've talked to both schools about it, expressed my feelings about it," Tranghese said. "We're going to talk about it as a league this summer and adopt some specific rules. ... We're going to talk about cutoff dates, where School A from our league can't pick up something from School B, that kind of thing."
One change Tranghese said he would like to see is larger buyouts in 2-for-1 scheduling deals. FIU bought out of its deal with the Bulls for just $200,000.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-4-4...olicy.html
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2009 02:28 PM by WacoBearcat.)
03-13-2009 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: Big East eyes bowl changes, scheduling policy
(03-13-2009 02:27 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  The biggest priority on the football side remains improving the Big East bowl tie-ins, Desmond Connor reports in the Hartford Courant. The league had a meeting of all 16 presidents on Wednesday afternoon, and Tranghese said 40 minutes of that meeting were devoted to talking about bowls.

One of the most tradition-rich bowl games in the nation is there for the taking, with a 9th football member to boot.
03-13-2009 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Quote:Close to getting it done," he said. "I don't know what I want to tell you because, you know, I haven't even told our people much. I just said, 'trust me, you know, we're working at it.' We're in the middle of this basketball tournament but we're talking to a lot of people. In fact, we've got some of our bowl partners here as guests. Football teams do come to Madison Square Garden."

Him not telling our people much really doesn't give me a boast of confidence that anything is really being done. I think this will be an interesting summer.
03-13-2009 03:00 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(03-13-2009 03:00 PM)animus Wrote:  
Quote:Close to getting it done," he said. "I don't know what I want to tell you because, you know, I haven't even told our people much. I just said, 'trust me, you know, we're working at it.' We're in the middle of this basketball tournament but we're talking to a lot of people. In fact, we've got some of our bowl partners here as guests. Football teams do come to Madison Square Garden."

Him not telling our people much really doesn't give me a boast of confidence that anything is really being done. I think this will be an interesting summer.

Exactly the way I read it too, animus.
03-13-2009 03:37 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.