Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do we need a new A.D.?
Bookmark and Share
Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

How long has Nelson Schexnayder been the Athletic Director?

I'm only asking because, as an outsider looking in, this is the second HORRIBLE hire made at Louisiana in recent years. First, Jerry Baldwin was hired to coach the football team and he didn't do anything to display he had the capacity, and now the Cyprien situation of hiring someone without the prerequisite college degree.

If Schexnayder was responsible for both blunders, Dr Authement has a tough decision to make.
07-18-2004 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

Adler Wrote:I'm only asking because, as an outsider looking in, this is the second HORRIBLE hire made at Louisiana in recent years. First, Jerry Baldwin was hired to coach the football team and he didn't do anything to display he had the capacity, and now the Cyprien situation of hiring someone without the prerequisite college degree.
At the time, I thought Cyprien was a great hire. He has some outstanding leadership skills and has helped in some of the most successful basketball schools in the country (OSU and WKU). Had anyone known at the time about this unfortunate situation, this may not have happened. I still think that Cyprien was a good pick for the spot, college degree or not.

On the other hand, I was pulling for Coach Lee. I had actually taken a jogging course at UL (hey, I got an A to help boost that GPA) and Coach Lee was the teacher. We talked a lot of basketball, obviously, but the thing is that he knows the program the most and knows what to do. We started this ordeal with a great coach, and we have ended with a great coach. Either way, I'm happy with the man leading this program. Its time to start thinking about our upcoming season!!!
07-18-2004 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CaliforniaCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana

Adler Wrote:How long has Nelson Schexnayder been the Athletic Director?

I'm only asking because, as an outsider looking in, this is the second HORRIBLE hire made at Louisiana in recent years. First, Jerry Baldwin was hired to coach the football team and he didn't do anything to display he had the capacity, and now the Cyprien situation of hiring someone without the prerequisite college degree.

If Schexnayder was responsible for both blunders, Dr Authement has a tough decision to make.
Nelson Schexnayder has been the athletic director for 12 years. Before that Nelson Stokley held the dual role as football coach-AD. Schexnayder had been on board several years in charge of development (fundraising) and probably did much of the AD work while Stokley was coaching. Stokley's football record began to slip so the AD job went to Schexnayder.

Those of you who want to fire him have to consider where we would be if you got your wish. I would guess Gerald Hebert would take over on at least an interim basis, which would mean he would have to learn a new job and postpone many of the fundraising initiatives he's working on now. The university needs money too much to interrupt what Hebert is doing.

Nelson Schexnayder was ordered to hire Jerry Baldwin by Dr. Authement. I've been told that he actually quit his job over this but was talked into reconsidering. That's believable when you compare Baldwin to the others he has hired: Tony Robichaux, Jessie Evans, J. Kelly Hall. The only hiring bust he made to my knowledge is Gay Nix, and she looked like a good choice when she was hired.
07-19-2004 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.