Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple/UMass- MAC
stever20 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: College Sports
Temple/UMass- MAC
Just a thought- but doesn't UMass's contract with the MAC stipulate that if Temple left before they were a member, the MAC could void their membership?
02-22-2012 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

EERSFAN Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU
RE: Temple/UMass- MAC
(02-22-2012 02:38 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Just a thought- but doesn't UMass's contract with the MAC stipulate that if Temple left before they were a member, the MAC could void their membership?

Alliance for UMass?
02-22-2012 02:41 PM
stever20 Online
Hall of Famer

UMass would be really on an island there. Only FBS team close there would be Buffalo.
02-22-2012 02:46 PM
He1nousOne Online
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/Rutgers
(02-22-2012 02:46 PM)stever20 Wrote:  UMass would be really on an island there. Only FBS team close there would be Buffalo.

Yeah, but if the Alliance lands a decent tv contract that would more than make up for the travel costs. The exposure of the Alliance would be greater then that of the MAC too. UMass really doesn't fit culturally into the MAC it would just have been a union of convenience. I could easily see UMass go with the Alliance over the MAC if the dollars make sense.
02-22-2012 02:58 PM

stever20 Online
Hall of Famer

But how excited will UMass be to play vs say Tulsa(no offense meant). Or Rice. Or Tulane.

Also- could ESPN suggest to the MAC to keep UMass and they'd up the payment a bit to keep Umass put?
02-22-2012 03:01 PM
He1nousOne Online

(02-22-2012 03:01 PM)stever20 Wrote:  But how excited will UMass be to play vs say Tulsa(no offense meant). Or Rice. Or Tulane.

Also- could ESPN suggest to the MAC to keep UMass and they'd up the payment a bit to keep Umass put?

How excited will New Englanders be to see UMass play michigan, ohio and illinois teams? The concept is the same but with the Alliance atleast those fans will see how UMass stacks up against the country and not just one small section of the country.
02-22-2012 03:03 PM
stever20 Online
Hall of Famer

It's a whole lot closer though for UMass to play the MAC....

Also- keep in mind the basketball. UMass in the MAC continues to be in the A10. HUGE local difference there.
02-22-2012 03:07 PM

He1nousOne Online

(02-22-2012 03:07 PM)stever20 Wrote:  It's a whole lot closer though for UMass to play the MAC....

Also- keep in mind the basketball. UMass in the MAC continues to be in the A10. HUGE local difference there.

I understand it is closer. I even spoke to that. What I am saying is that if the money is greater in the Alliance to the point that the travel distance doesn't matter so much then the closeness isnt a deciding factor.

Now if we are talking about fans travelling to away games, I wasn't aware UMass had a large following. If the Alliance lands a solid tv contract then those fans can watch the away games on the tube and watch the home games at home. Its not like New Englanders are hip to the idea of driving to Ohio, Michigan and Illinois for UMass games when most of them prefer watching Patriot games. UMass is going to have to build up it's following in that regard and the more coverage they can get on the tv, the more of a following they will be able to build up.

The A10 issue is a stickler, in attempting to be devil's advocate against that good point, the best I can come up with is that the Alliance has released talking points about future expansion and the possibility of football only schools. In that case UMass could get in opposite of an addition in the West.
02-22-2012 03:13 PM
Pir8inRichmond Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
UMASS without Temple=give me FIU instead.
02-22-2012 03:13 PM
stever20 Online
Hall of Famer

I think UMass would be football only at best....

And- if UMass got "kicked out" of MAC before they started- CUSA may have to take them in this year if they want them for the alliance....
02-22-2012 03:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.