Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So will Tressel get canned?
Bookmark and Share
UCBEast Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC. Forever
RE: So will Tressel get canned?
(05-10-2011 06:22 AM)QSECOFR Wrote:  Tressel is in so much trouble that they're going to send him on a vacation to Tampa? Bet he is really scared now!

Ever been to Florida in the summer? Just a taste of h*ll, heat-wise.

It's the small, inconvenient price he'll pay to be redeemed and all will once again be right with the NCAA world order after that, I'm so sure.

What a crock of shine-o-la.

Our school district spent $15,000 to make a principal become 'better' after she got an unfavorable rating her first year. Fast forward two decades: she's still the worst principal in the district, and took the top school to the bottom, where it's remained to this day. Really helps the resale rate where she's located, it does.

But I'm sure this will make JT all better and to$u will be contrite, better for it, and an example of athletics, academics, and sterling young men becoming one.

Yeah....right.....

05-10-2011 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I don't think OSU will fire Tressel before this season ends. After the Michigan game, that's when the evaluation will be made.

05-10-2011 09:09 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Updated: May 11, 2011, 1:01 PM ET
Report: Car sold for $13,700, not $0

ESPN.com news services

Former Ohio State linebacker Thaddeus Gibson didn't understand why his purchase of a used Chrysler 300C was listed at $0 in documents disclosed in a media report, since he was still making payments on the vehicle.

Now, newly uncovered documents appear to back up Gibson -- to the tune of $13,700.

In an initial report on Ohio State's investigation of car sales to athletes and their families, The Columbus Dispatch cited documents showing a purchase price of $0 for Gibson's car.

But on Wednesday, the newspaper reported it obtained a previous title on the vehicle listing the purchase price as $13,700 for a sale dated June 27, 2007 and financed through Huntington National Bank.

The title listing the purchase price as $0 was dated March 6, 2008 and listed the same bank as the lender, according to the report.

Ohio State's compliance department is reviewing the sales of more than 50 cars to student-athletes and their families to make sure the sales meet NCAA rules.

The Dispatch reported that a car salesman who received game passes from Ohio State athletes handled many of the deals at two different dealerships. Ohio State has since taken the salesman, Aaron Kniffin, off the pass list.

Athletes are prevented from receiving special deals not available to other students and are not permitted to trade autographs for discounts. Both dealerships display signed Ohio State memorabilia in their showrooms.

School officials have seen no evidence of players getting special treatment in vehicle sales, Douglas Archie, associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement Saturday.

"Consistent with our standard procedures, we are nevertheless reviewing these sales to assure ourselves that our policies were adhered to," he said.

The mother and brother of Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor also purchased cars from the dealerships. Kniffin loaned his own car to Pryor for a three-day test drive to Pryor's home in Jeannette, Pa.

Kniffin and the owner of one of the dealerships he worked for, Jason Goss, have attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 national championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl.

The car sales investigation comes on the heels of Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel being punished for not revealing his knowledge of his players' NCAA violations.

Tressel was notified in April 2010 via emails from a Buckeyes fan and former player that Ohio State players were trading signed jerseys and other memorabilia to a Columbus tattoo parlor owner for cash and reduced-price tattoos. Even though his contract and NCAA rules required him to notify athletic director Gene Smith, Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee or the university's compliance department, Tressel did not do that.

It was not until more than nine months passed -- and five players including Pryor had been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season -- that Ohio State officials discovered the emails and confronted Tressel. He finally admitted he knew of the players getting improper benefits.

Tressel was originally suspended for two games -- later extended to the first five games this fall to match the punishment of the five players -- and was fined $250,000, required to make a public apology and receive a public reprimand and to attend an NCAA compliance seminar.

The NCAA is still investigating Ohio State and Tressel, who are scheduled to appear before the NCAA's committee on infractions Aug. 12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6526673

05-11-2011 04:48 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Players and associates of the 2010 team haven't received the traditional gold pants charm for beating Michigan
Sunday, May 15, 2011 03:11 AM

By Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

[Image: osufb-5-15-art-gn1cm2fc-1osufb-5-15.jpg]
Fred Squillante | Dispatch
Chris Carioti of Carioti Jewelers holds the charm that his company makes for the Gold Pants Club for about $50 apiece.

[Image: osufb-5-15-art0-gficln2t-1gold-pants-jpg.jpg]
File photo
These days, up to 200 people associated with the Ohio State team get gold pants for beating Michigan.

The members and associates of the 2010 Ohio State football team, which beat Michigan for the Buckeyes' seventh straight win in the series, have yet to receive their traditional gold pants charms, but it's not because they are lost in the mail.

Besides, even with gold trading at about a $1,500 an ounce, there's not enough of it in the charms to fill a tooth.

With Carioti Jewelers doing the work, each pair is sold to the university-licensed Gold Pants Club for about $50 apiece.

Usually by now, the charms would have been distributed to the players, coaches and support personnel from the previous season as the traditional award for beating Michigan.

So what's the holdup?

Gold Pants Club president Jim Lachey, a former Ohio State All-America offensive lineman and a current radio analyst during football games, said the pants aren't ready, but he didn't mean they haven't been molded and dipped.

"We're dealing with some outstanding issues that we've never had to deal with before," Lachey said.

He was referring to the current NCAA investigation of coach Jim Tressel and the football program. That won't be settled until after Aug.12, when the coach and school administrators go before the NCAA Committee on Infractions.

The gold pants are sort of at the heart of the case. It was learned in December by a letter from the U.S. Attorney's office to Ohio State that six players had bartered those or other memorabilia for cash and/or deals on tattoos with Ed Rife, owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos and Piercings in Columbus.

That is against NCAA rules that prohibit improper benefits for players who still have eligibility remaining, even though most of the memorabilia exchanged had been awarded to them. Five players - quarterback Terrelle Pryor, receiver DeVier Posey, running back Daniel Herron, offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas - must serve a five-game suspension to start the 2011 season, and linebacker Jordan Whiting must sit out the opener.

Tressel became the focal point of the controversy in March when the school said in a letter to the NCAA that he had been made aware of the memorabilia bartering by Columbus lawyer Christopher Cicero in April 2010, but that Tressel had not shared the information - as required by his contract - with the university's compliance office. It is a major violation, as the NCAA stated in its notice of allegations last month, and could lead to the vacating of wins from last season, along with other penalties.

And it's the tenuous nature of those wins, most notably the unprecedented seventh straight over Michigan, that has the gold pants in a bunch.

"If they vacate the win, it makes no sense to award the gold pants, at least in our minds," Lachey said. "And if you hand them out and say, 'Oh yeah, we'll need to get them back if the win is vacated' - I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a smart way to go.

"And I'll be honest: We don't want to see any 2010 gold pants on the market right now."

The gold pants are worth well more than their minimal gold value. For example, a pair that was awarded to a nonplaying member of the 1968 team after its seminal win over Michigan is for sale on eBay with a minimum asking price of $1,500.

"They are a symbol of being part of a special team, of a bunch of guys who worked hard for a common goal of beating our rival," said John Hicks, an All-America offensive lineman under coach Woody Hayes and considered sort of the godfather of the ex-players. "Sometimes when you're 18, 19, 20 years old, you don't realize what that really meant to you, but when you get to 60 or so, you do."

It bothered him deeply, he said, to see that several current members of the team had bartered their gold pants, but he said such foolishness isn't reserved for the young.

"I average about 20 to 25 calls a year from former players trying to find out if they can get a replacement pair," Hicks said. "Either they were lost, or they lost them in a divorce, or who knows, they might have sold them. But they suddenly realize how special they are."

What they also find out is that replacements aren't simply handed out. Lachey makes that judgment.

"And it better be a pretty good reason," Lachey said.

When the practice started after coach Francis Schmidt took over the program in 1934, the gold pants were awarded only to those who actually played. It evolved into them being given to all players on the squad, then also to coaches and support personnel, then to where it is today, when as many as 200 people get a pair.

"Coach Tressel makes that call," Lachey said.

But based on the scandal that has rocked the football program, should the gold pants be awarded annually to players who still have eligibility remaining?

"I think we're going to start banking them and hand them out to the players after their eligibility has run out," Lachey said.

That at least would keep the pants off the market until selling them would not constitute an NCAA violation. But then, the vast majority of the current and former players never part with them in the first place.

"My perspective is I played four years of college football and 11 years in the NFL, you have to have a gladiator mentality, and I met all kind of guys who had different motivations for being out there," Lachey said. "Being a kid from Ohio, I grew up understanding the tradition of the gold pants. When I was playing for coach (Earle) Bruce, we had Woody Hayes talk to us from time to time about it, and that certainly had a lasting effect. Heck, it's why I'm president of the Gold Pants Club.

"But it doesn't affect everybody the same way. I'm OK with that."

tmay@dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/spo...ml?sid=101

05-15-2011 01:24 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Ohio State football: Tressel hires attorney for NCAA inquiry
Saturday, May 14, 2011 03:08 AM

By Tim May
THE COLUMBS DISPATCH

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel won't walk in alone to face the NCAA committee on infractions on Aug.12. He confirmed to The Dispatch yesterday that he has retained attorney Gene Marsh - chairman of the committee on infractions from 2004 to '06 - as his counsel.

Michael Buckner, whose Pompano Beach, Fla., law firm specializes in helping schools with NCAA investigations, said it was a strategically sound move.

"That means coach Tressel is taking these allegations against him seriously," Buckner said. "I know Gene Marsh is with a law firm that has a good deal of experience in NCAA matters. When you hire a former chairman of the committee on infractions, it means you are trying to gain as much insight into the process as possible."

Tressel and Ohio State admitted in March to a breach of NCAA bylaw 10.1. Tressel failed to notify OSU's compliance office about possible rules violations before the 2010 season and did not admit to his knowledge even after the violations came to light.

Attorney Christopher Cicero of Columbus told Tressel, in a series of emails starting in April 2010, that some players might have received improper benefits while dealing with Edward Rife, owner of a Columbus tattoo parlor. Ohio State finally learned of the violations in December from the U.S. Attorney's office, which is investigating Rife. Tressel only admitted to the emails after they were found by the university in January.

Ohio State has fined Tressel $250,000 and suspended him the first five games of the 2011 season. Originally, the suspension was for two games, but Tressel asked to extend it to match the suspensions of five of the six players who violated NCAA rules.Tressel could have been fired for cause, but Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee and athletic director Gene Smith said the transgression did not rise to the level of dismissal, and they cited all the good Tressel has done for the school on and off the field.

That's likely one of the points that Marsh, a 1978 graduate of Ohio State, will emphasize in Tressel's defense.

Buckner said it makes sense not to face the committee alone.

"I have always advised coaches if they are submitting to an interview by the NCAA enforcement staff or going before the committee on infractions that they should have legal counsel present," Buckner said. "It might make it a little more complicated, but it is in the best interests of the coach."

tmay@dispatch.com

05-15-2011 01:37 PM
UCBEast Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC. Forever
A weird aside - I don't know if anyone watches "Pawn Stars", but a few weeks ago I was flipping through channels and there was an episode where a guy was selling two pairs of gold pants. They did a close up on them and there was one from 2008 and the other from 2000, I believe. I tried to see the initials on them but couldn't.

Maybe this is a new way of getting around the 'no pay for student-athletes' rule.

05-16-2011 02:01 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Honestly, they'd probably be in much better position long-term if they just go ahead and fire him.

This is not the year to have this cloud hanging over the program during recruiting season.

(05-16-2011 02:01 PM)UCBEast Wrote:  A weird aside - I don't know if anyone watches "Pawn Stars", but a few weeks ago I was flipping through channels and there was an episode where a guy was selling two pairs of gold pants. They did a close up on them and there was one from 2008 and the other from 2000, I believe. I tried to see the initials on them but couldn't.

Maybe this is a new way of getting around the 'no pay for student-athletes' rule.

I read it was LeAndre Boone and Donald Washington.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011 08:54 PM by Coopdaddy67.)
05-17-2011 08:51 PM
wanes Offline
1st String

I Root For: Anything Cincy
Seems like the entire University of Ohio State (in Terrell Pryor's words) are on their knees for Tressel...still.

Quote:CHICAGO -- There's a feeling that Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has been distancing himself from embattled football coach Jim Tressel in recent weeks.

But at the Big Ten spring meetings Wednesday, Smith -- while declining to discuss any details of the ongoing NCAA investigation of Tressel -- affirmed his support for the coach, who is entering his 11th season with the Buckeyes.

"Oh, definitely, no question," Smith said. "I haven't changed, I haven't changed. But I'm not talking about the case beyond that."

Smith noted last month in an interview with The Associated Press that Tressel should have apologized at the infamous March 8 news conference, where Tressel acknowledged he failed to notify Ohio State officials of emails he received about some of his players receiving improper benefits.

Smith also has talked about the high legal costs Ohio State is dealing with, calling the ongoing NCAA situation "a nightmare."

Tressel has received support at the spring meetings from fellow coaches such as Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, as well as from Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne, a longtime friend.

"Coaches are great," Tressel said. "They understand all the challenges everyone has. It's good to be with them."

Tressel also talked about new Michigan coach Brady Hoke and the fuel Hoke has added to the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry.

"Brady's awesome," Tressel said. "Anything that's good for the Ohio State-Michigan game, I'm for it. And Brady's good for it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6562597

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011 11:02 AM by wanes.)
05-18-2011 11:01 AM
chicago bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(05-18-2011 11:01 AM)wanes Wrote:  Seems like the entire University of Ohio State (in Terrell Pryor's words) are on their knees for Tressel...still.

Quote:
Smith also has talked about the high legal costs Ohio State is dealing with, calling the ongoing NCAA situation "a nightmare."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6562597

Warms my heart

05-18-2011 04:33 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Ouch

[Image: 301344008.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCK...m19STss%3D]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011 06:30 PM by subflea.)
05-18-2011 06:29 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Updated: May 18, 2011, 2:41 PM ET
Year of the scandal
As the 2010-11 academic year ends, controversies have mired every major NCAA conference.

By Ryan McGee
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

This story appears in the May 30, 2011 "Busted" issue of ESPN The Magazine.
[Image: 0530_Cover_244x300.jpg]

[Image: in_a_tatoogate_576.jpg]
DeVier Posey, Mike Adams, Boom Herron, Terrelle Pryor, and Solomon Thomas
AP Photo/Terry Gilliam
The NCAA controversially reinstated five Ohio State players for postseason games. Coach Jim Tressel's fate in Columbus is still in the balance.

"THE NOISE NEVER STOPS." That was Bruce Pearl's beleaguered declaration to a small handful of friends and reports as he stood in the tuneel of Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena on March 18, moments before Tennessee's NCAA Tourney opener against Michigan.

His season began with a tearful admission that he had lied to the NCAA about recruiting violations. University-imposed sanctions, a contract termination and an eight-game suspension soon followed, but the tar-and-feathering lasted for months. The buzz around his job security crescendoed two days before the Michigan game, when his athletic director, Mike Hamilton, told a Knoxville radio station that he was uncertain if Pearl would return as men's basketball coach. For 48 hours, those words permeated every space of Pearl's life, from press conferences to his hotel room TV to the Twitter account that he ultimately decided to ignore.

He trudged, bleary-eyed, onto the court, where his team was hammered by 30. It was the worst, and last, loss of his Tennessee career. When he left the floor two hours later, a dead coach walking, he actually looked relieved.

"Punishment for your transgressions is always hard," he said. "But now, it never stops. Even while you sleep, people are out there, digging. When you get up, you don't know what you'll read or hear about yourself or anyone."

Welcome to collegiate sports, stumbling into the summer after the most titillating and titan-toppling 12 months since a BMOC first buttoned up a varsity sweater. Over the past year, muck has been tracked around the infield of the College World Series by Arizona State, over midcourt at the Final Four by UConn, and across the 50 at the BCS national championship on the cleats of both Auburn's Heisman winner, Cam Newton, and the team charged with stopping him, Oregon. Even those who operated that game, the executives of the Fiesta Bowl, have been brought down for illegal political contributions, inspiring a 276-page investigation that includes a subsection titled "Strip club visits."

The problems now run so deep that they have damaged the reputation of programs and players in the eyes of NFL front offices, not a group that typically loses sleep over issues of morality. And the mire has spread beyond the revenue sports, seeping into every corner of once-proud athletic departments. In early May, Boise State was told it was being investigated for "lack of institutional control" by the NCAA, not so much because of its minor football infractions, but because of the school's inability to monitor rampant issues within & women's tennis. And while Bama's football squad will always dominate the headlines, the Tide's entire athletic department went on three years' probation in 2009 after the school self-reported that student-athletes from 16 different sports were given impermissible benefits.

This rampage of rule-bending has campus compliance officers scrambling, searching for answers within their stacks of three-ring binders marked with the NCAA's familiar blue-circle, block-letter logo. The volumes are ever-expanding, designed to cover everyone from USC to the tiniest Division III colleges. Their pages have been written, one reaction at a time, over a century. New problems lead to new solutions, which produce new stacks of pages to be mailed out to 1,281 member institutions. The result is a labyrinth of words that, while well-intentioned, have become as complicated to enforce as they are to interpret.

"There is an undeniable sense that we are in a constant game of catch-up," says Holden Thorp, chancellor of the University of North Carolina. Thorp found himself on the front lines last summer when the Tar Heels football squad faced charges of improper involvement with sports agents and academic misconduct. "Everything in college athletics has become so big so fast, and it never stops evolving," he says. "Our job as the policemen of college athletics, be it the NCAA or the schools, is to evolve with it. And quickly."

On May 9, the NCAA enforcement division launched a new website to educate the public and, more important, member institutions and student-athletes on how its processes work. The next day, 30 national-media members went to Indianapolis for the "NCAA Enforcement Experience," a daylong, step-by-step mock investigation of fictional, über-evil State University. By day's end, member schools following on a live chat were asking about doing an Experience in person. "We as a group have let it get to this point," says TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte. "Athletic administrators, coaches, university presidents. I think there's a real feeling across the board of, Okay, enough. How embarrassed do we need to be before we rein this in?"

Athletes are going to do whatever they can to win. Those who stand to profit most from those athletes -- coaches and agents -- will do even more. When they all push back against the rules together, it creates a critical mass of malfeasance that rolls in and out on waves. History has shown that such periods can be both destructive and cleansing. It happened in the 1980s with the SWC and SMU's Death Penalty. It happened again in the 1990s with Big Ten basketball, from Michigan paydays to Minnesota's term-paper-writing secretary. And it's happening now, seemingly everywhere. The earlier eras began with, and were ultimately toppled by, a certain tip or tool. This era is crashing 140 characters at a time.

Chancellor Thorp learned about UNC football's suspected ties to pro agents the same way that we all did, when defensive tackle (and New York Giants' 2011 second-round draft pick) Marvin Austin tweeted a few too many South Beach party updates. Back then, Thorp, who once fancied himself web-savvy because he posted a blog, was actually a social-media novice. But Dec. 5, 2010, marked a new step in the chancellor's evolution: @chanthorp officially joined Twitter.

And it's not just the big schools that have increased their vigilance. "There will always be something," says a compliance officer at one small Division II school. "It was letters, then cellphones, then texts and now Twitter. There's no way to get ahead of it. Rather, we all have to react." Like most of her colleagues, she is happy to talk, but only if assured anonymity, perhaps to protect her good name should the school find itself in trouble. Or perhaps it is because she is embarrassed about her undying love for the 1994 college basketball flick Blue Chips, currently playing on her office TV. "Oh, my god, this is the best scene," she says. Nick Nolte's character is Pete Bell, a Bob Knightish hoops coach who's been busted. Big time. He assembled an all-star squad via unsavory means, allowing a booster to lure recruits with cash, homes and, um, a tractor.

"Boys, the rules don't make much sense," Coach Bell growls from the TV, addressing his team in their moment of greatest triumph. "But I believe in the rules. Some of us broke them. I broke them. I can't do this. I can't win like this." Then, Coach Bell, in his powder blue sweater, walks into the press room, delivers an "I've become what I despise" tirade and quits.

The compliance officer claps her hands, laughs and then fantasizes aloud. "Just once I want someone to do that for real. Give that same speech. Call out the jerk that caused the whole problem, someone who more than likely never even went to the school. Call out the reporter who broke the story. And then point at all these three-ring binders and explain how ridiculous they might be, but how necessary they all are." Then, with a wink, she adds: "You know, there's a coach who could do that right now. It would rock the world. And he wears sweaters, too."

She is speaking of Jim Tressel. These days, everyone speaks of Tressel, the Ohio State coach who knew of the merchandise-for-benefits scandal some call Tattoogate a full eight months before it was revealed by chance, through an unrelated FBI investigation of a tattoo-parlor owner. In recent weeks, OSU's "improper benefit" problems have graduated from free arm ink to cut-rate Chryslers. As the school investigates a May 7 story in The Columbus Dispatch that alleges car dealers gave perks to OSU players and their families, Coach Tressel will be at a Tampa resort for a five-day NCAA compliance seminar in June as part of his school-imposed punishment.

"The part that none of us understands is pretty simple and profoundly confusing," says a compliance officer at a Big East school. "When Tressel had obviously been made aware of a potentially very large mess, why didn't he just walk down the hall and hand it off? Their compliance office is very good."

They are also battle-hardened. After a debilitating basketball recruiting scandal that landed Ohio State on probation and stripped them of their 1999 Final Four visit, they even chose a former NCAA enforcement officer to head up the department, which now has six full-time employees. But instead of taking the issue to the people hired to protect the program, Tressel chose to handle it himself. Among some coaches and players, his one-man circling of the wagons has been hailed as an act of loyalty. But among many college administrators it is viewed as a cover-up.

Tressel's initial assertion that he hadn't told anyone about the violations was proved false by his own e-mail conversations with a player's mentor. None of the messages, uncovered by The Dispatch, were cc'ed to Ohio State officials.Tressel, like most coaches, is a state employee. That means his e-mail and phone records are subject to open records requests by the media and public (see page 55). And that transparency makes covering up transgressions even harder.

When asked about Pearl, everyone from fellow coaches to compliance officers to athletic directors contend that his main violations (hosting a cookout for recruits, impermissible phone calls and incidental contact with a high school recruit) were far from heinous. But like Tressel, his concealment afterward exacerbated the situation. Also like Tressel, so did his naivete. Pearl's denials unraveled when a snapshot of the cookout surfaced, and the illegal calls were dug up by Comply & Verify technology, an algorithm that analyzes phone records to spot questionable patterns and frequencies in calls made and received.

"It wasn't so long ago that you would have handled that situation exactly like [Ohio State], and it would have been no big thing at all," says retired football coach Bill Dooley, whose 35-year career included stints at North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. "Call the kids in your office, chew them out, call their mamas, bench 'em for a little while and it was over. An old-school-style coach is going to think he can still do it that way. But back then, just 10 years ago, the circle of people you had to control was tiny. A few players, coaches, the athletic director, maybe a reporter. Now that circle is, well, hell, it's the whole world."

It is players and wannabe players, boosters and wannabe boosters. It is 200 million users on Twitter, half a billion on Facebook, bloggers and message-board junkies. Voices and opinions, whether they are liars or Pulitzer winners, are no longer bound by the chains of regionalism. They've gone global in an age when keeping secrets is impossible and a volume knob stuck on 10 converts one-liners from the transaction page into headlines. For a high-profile coach like Pearl, the digital storm that his actions created contributed as much to his dismissal as the actions themselves. "Once it's out there, it's out there, true or false," says Debbie Yow, athletic director at NC State. "And I have yet to see someone get water to go back up into the faucet."

The question remains: Is the integrity of collegiate athletics actually at an all-time low, or does the Internet-fueled cyclone of news and bloviation just make it feel that way?

"Listen, this is not the wild, wild west that we had in the 1970s and '80s," says Mark Marquess, Stanford's head baseball coach since 1977. "But there is no doubt that everyone is under more scrutiny now. Even the smallest violations or investigations are reported like the big ones. If there's an upside, that scrutiny has forced schools to be more proactive with compliance than reactive."

So what's the downside of better policing? Depends on the coach. "It's no secret that head coaches at big programs are now more CEO than coach," says Bill Stewart, about to start his final football season patrolling West Virginia's sideline. "But you can't use that as an excuse. Some guys do. Do we have more to keep track of now? Sure. But if we're going to take the big paycheck we also have to take the big responsibility. What did they teach us all in kindergarten? If you decide to break the rules you have to be willing to live with the embarrassment of standing in the corner in front of everybody."

Thirty years ago, few, if any, schools had a staffer assigned to compliance. Now, it seems every member institution, no matter how large or small, has an office staffed with law-school graduates. Stadium skyboxes are stocked with NCAA literature, and team websites are loaded with pages to educate boosters, alums and staff on the do's and don'ts of compliance protocol.

Since 2000, the NCAA's enforcement division has added a dozen investigators. NCAA president Mark Emmert, a former college president (most recently at Washington), who began his job in the middle of this scandalous year, has pledged to hire more, saying during the Enforcement Experience: "I'm committed to adding as many as we need to maintain proper, even enforcement." Those investigators, many of whom have experience on the federal and state level, will quickly learn how to sift through all the noise, whether it be a football player tweeting too much information (UNC), a story broken by the media (Cam Newton's recruitment) or information uncovered by federal or police investigations (Ohio State). Without subpoena power, the NCAA must rely on its ability to use these bits of information overload as tools.

"Everyone has gotten better at what they do on all sides," says Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, a former NCAA director of enforcement who made his name during the most notorious scandal of them all: SMU football's Death Penalty. "The NCAA does better investigating. Journalists are better at reporting. And the schools are better at policing themselves."

So, might better awareness lead to a decrease in scandals? Not so fast, says Beebe. "The problem is the idiots out there, the ones from the outside who end up causing most of the problems," he says. "They are also better at being idiots than they used to be." And that means coaches have to be a lot smarter when forced to deal with them.

See you next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6562381

05-20-2011 11:26 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Ray Small tells all: Ex-Buckeye says he sold memorabilia, some players don't 'think about' rules

By Zack Meisel and James Oldham
meisel.14@osu.edu and oldham.29@osu.edu

Updated: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 23:05

[Image: 289507915.jpg]
Courtesy of MCT
Ohio State's Ray Small (82) out runs the Wisconsin defense for a touchdown on a kick-off return in the third quarter of their NCAA college football game at The Ohio Stadium, Saturday, October 10, 2009, in Columbus, Ohio.

Ray Small saw it all – and did most of it, too – during his four years suiting up in scarlet and gray.

Small told The Lantern on Wednesday he profited off of memorabilia while at Ohio State, adding that some student-athletes "don't even think about (NCAA) rules."

"I had sold my things but it was just for the money," Small said. "At that time in college, you're kind of struggling."

Small, who played receiver at OSU from 2006-2010, capitalized on the Buckeyes' success during his college career.

"We had four Big Ten rings," he said. "There was enough to go around."

Small said he sold the rings to cover typical costs of living.

"We have apartments, car notes," he said. "So you got things like that and you look around and you're like, ‘Well I got (four) of them, I can sell one or two and get some money to pay this rent."

The wheeling and dealing didn't stop with rings. The best deals came from car dealerships, Small said.

"It was definitely the deals on the cars. I don't see why it's a big deal," said Small, who identified Jack Maxton Chevrolet as the players' main resource.

The Columbus Dispatch reported on May 7 that OSU was investigating more than 50 transactions between OSU athletes and their families and Jack Maxton Chevrolet or Auto Direct.

Representatives for Jack Maxton Chevrolet did not return repeated requests for comment.

NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes from benefiting from the sale of their merchandise. Small said he wasn't the only one.

"They have a lot (of dirt) on everybody," Small said, "cause everybody was doing it."

Although he understands how athletes are easy targets for getting deals, Small said anyone can take advantage.

"(People say) ‘Oh you got a deal, it's because you're an athlete,'" Small said. "Playing for Ohio State definitely helps. But I know a lot of people that do nothing and get deals on their cars."

The Lantern obtained a police report from shortly after 2 a.m. on Sept. 18, 2007, when Small was arrested for a misdemeanor charge of driving with a suspended license. According to the report, Small was driving a 2007 Chrysler 300 that he told the officer he had just purchased. The vehicle had a dealer plate on it instead of a temporary tag.

Police then received a call from Aaron Kniffin later that morning, wanting to know why the car had been impounded. Kniffin, a salesman at Jack Maxton Chevrolet, told the officer the dealership "gives a lot of coaches and faculty cars and that Mr. Small's family is purchasing the car," according to the report. Kniffin told the officer that paperwork for the car had not yet been worked out.

On Dec. 23, the NCAA suspended quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Dan Herron, receiver DeVier Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas for five games for selling memorabilia and receiving discounted tattoos from Eddie Rife, owner of Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor. Linebacker Jordan Whiting earned a one-game ban.

OSU handed coach Jim Tressel a five-game suspension and $250,000 fine for failing to report the players' actions.

Malcolm Jenkins, who played cornerback for OSU from 2005-2008, said the tattoo violation was overblown.

"The tattoo thing is whatever. It's not that big of a deal, but it's one of the dumb rules that the NCAA has," Jenkins told The Lantern on Wednesday. "I don't see what advantage getting free tattoos has to a university to be a violation, but it's whatever. It's in the rules, so it's whatever."

Small said he isn't surprised players couldn't resist the temptation of discounted tattoos.

"If you go in and try to get a tattoo, and somebody is like ‘Do you want 50 percent off this tattoo?' You're going to say, ‘Heck yeah,'" Small said.

The NCAA's notice of allegations sent to university President E. Gordon Gee on April 21 details the infractions that the six aforementioned athletes committed. It also lists a seventh violator, noted under letter "g" in its document. The NCAA accuses that player of having repeated interaction with Rife for a year-and-a-half.

Small said he didn't know much about Rife or Fine Line Ink.

Among the items this mystery player sold to Rife was a 2010 Rose Bowl watch for $250. However, Small, defensive end Rob Rose and running back Bo DeLande were suspended for the 2010 Rose Bowl for a "violation of team rules."

According to athletic department spokesman Dan Wallenberg, that means Small didn't receive a watch.

"Postseason awards are limited to student-athletes who are eligible to participate in such contests under NCAA and Big Ten Conference regulations," Wallenberg said Wednesday in an email to The Lantern.

Rife declined The Lantern's request for an interview.

Small spent much of his four years at OSU in Tressel's doghouse.

"When I was in college, in my opinion, I was the bad guy," Small said. "I mean I knew that I was being the bad guy. I had took on that role."

Small said the allure of deals and discounts overshadows the rules education that the athletic department's compliance office provides.

"They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening to all of them rules," Small said. "You go out and you just, people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like ‘Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back."

Jenkins said the athletic department makes a concerted effort to prevent such scenarios, but not all players follow instruction.

"What the players go out and do on their own time and make their own decisions is on them," Jenkins said. "I know (the compliance department) puts things in place to give us knowledge of the rules, give us education on how to deal with those situations, but what the players do with that is another story."

The Lantern reached out to Doug Archie, head of the OSU compliance department, but instead received a comment from Wallenberg.

"We educate as best we can and expect student-athletes and staff to follow our messaging and policies," Wallenberg said in an email.

Jenkins said some players fail to resist the temptation of discounts.

"When I was in school, I never really encountered too many offers and stuff, and the ones I did, it wasn't hard to say no," Jenkins said. "But some guys who have less self-control feel like they can get away with it."

Although six players have been penalized, Small said players mostly kept their wrongdoing under wraps.

"(It) was kind of hush-hush. I mean, you tell … probably your close friend, or a close friend to your close friend," Small said. "As far as everybody just talking about it in the locker room, that wasn't really a big thing. So if somebody is giving them a deal, it was probably a situation where they kept it to themselves."

Small did not provide details on who bought his memorabilia.

In a September interview with The Lantern, athletic director Gene Smith said outside influences are to blame for players' misjudgments of NCAA rules.

"At the end of the day, everyone's trying to do what's right. There's some things you can't control," Smith said. "Do we have some bad people in the business? No doubt. But 99 percent of our people are trying to do it the right way, and outside influences take them to where they are.

"It worries me constantly that our education sessions might not work, might not make it to a particular family member."

But when speaking to the media at the announcement of the players' suspensions on Dec. 23, Smith said the compliance department could have done more.

"We were not explicit with these young men that you cannot resell items that we give you," Smith said. "They stated in their interviews with us and with the NCAA that they felt those items were theirs, that they owned them, that they could sell them to help their families. … We were not explicit, and that's our responsibility to be explicit."

Smith said the compliance department reaches out to those who might interact with athletes to make sure everyone is on the same page.

"We focus more on education, education, education. Our education is marvelous," Smith told The Lantern in September. "We go out and meet with the car dealers, we'll go into the bars and restaurants with cover charges and nightclubs and educate those people so they don't give our athletes freebies."

Former OSU basketball player Mark Titus wrote Tuesday on his blog, Club Trillion, that the perks within the football program are far from a secret.

"Any OSU student in the past five years could tell you that a lot of the football players drive nice cars," Titus wrote. "You'd have to be blind to not notice it."

Titus declined further comment when The Lantern contacted him, but said he has received "all sorts of hate mail. … If people are this upset with me for pointing out the obvious, I can't imagine how mad they must be at all the guys who actually broke the rules and got OSU into this mess in the first place."

In his four years in scarlet and gray, Small – who is back at OSU pursuing a degree in sociology – totaled 61 receptions for 659 yards and three touchdowns. He returned a fourth-quarter punt 69 yards for a touchdown to seal a 26-14 victory against Ohio University on Sept. 6, 2008. Small spent time on the practice squads of the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and Washington Redskins.

OSU has until July 5 to respond to the NCAA's notice of allegations. The university will present its case to the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12.

Small said players get deals just based on affiliation with the university.

"Everywhere you go, while you're in the process of playing at Ohio State," Small said, "you're going to get a deal every which way."

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/ray-sma...-1.2256503

05-26-2011 11:33 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Man who bought OSU memorabilia charged
Tattoo parlor owner will cooperate with authorities

10:55 AM, May. 27, 2011

Written by
Andrew Welsh-Huggins

COLUMBUS – Federal prosecutors have charged the tattoo parlor owner who bought Ohio State football memorabilia with drug trafficking and money laundering.

Documents filed in U.S. District Court in Columbus on Friday indicate Edward Rife will plead guilty to the charges and cooperate with authorities.

An attorney previously told Ohio State coach Jim Tressel that at least two current players sold signed Ohio State memorabilia to Rife, who ran a local tattoo parlor.

Documents show Rife will plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute more than 200 pounds of marijuana, and one count of money laundering.

Five players, including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, have been suspended for the first five games this fall for accepting improper benefits from Rife totaling between $12,000 and $15,000.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110...|FRONTPAGE

05-27-2011 10:32 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Ohio State unwilling to provide info

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State has cited privacy laws in declining to provide communications to and from coach Jim Tressel and other administrators regarding the relationship between star quarterback Terrelle Pryor and his hometown mentor.

The Associated Press sought through a public records request any emails, notes or other information about the relationship between Jeannette, Pa., businessman Ted Sarniak and Pryor, who has been suspended for the first five games this fall for taking improper benefits from a Columbus tattoo-parlor owner.

In an email on Friday, Ohio State's Office of Legal Affairs declined to release the records because it said doing so would mean giving up information without the student's consent.

"The university is prohibited from releasing information that can be reasonably linked to an individual," the office said in the statement.

Privacy law protects certain records of students at schools receiving federal money. It usually covers personal information such as race, religion, grades, courses taken, attendance, disciplinary and health records.

Ohio State did release other public records requested by the AP. Among them were the evaluations of athletic director Gene Smith and the school's director of NCAA compliance, Doug Archie.

The AP asked for Tressel's evaluations the past two years but Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch said those are done face to face between Tressel and Smith and there are no written records.

Tressel is being investigated by the NCAA and Ohio State for knowing that his players had broken NCAA rules by accepting improper benefits. The 10-year coach of the Buckeyes learned in April 2010 that some players had sold memorabilia to the tattoo-parlor owner, Edward Rife (in related news Friday, Rife was charged in federal court with drug trafficking and money laundering). Tressel did not tell his superiors what he knew, instead forwarding an email with that information to Sarniak.

Even though compelled to tell his superiors, the NCAA or his school's compliance department about any knowledge of violations, Tressel did not surrender that information until confronted by investigators in January of 2011.

Archie was lauded two years ago for keeping the Ohio State athletic program "out of jail," according to his evaluation.

Archie got extremely high marks on evaluations even though his department was blamed at a December news conference for not fully informing athletes about the dangers of selling autographed items or memorabilia. At that news conference, Ohio State revealed that Pryor and four other players were suspended for the five games for selling or trading Big Ten championship rings, uniforms and other memorabilia for cash and tattoos.

"For this particular bylaw, we were not as explicit as we should have been," Smith said at the time. "We did not do as good a job as we should have done. In this regard, we have to do better."

Yet in his 2009 evaluation, senior associate AD Miechelle Willis gave him the highest possible grade -- "exceeds expectations" -- under "relays important information to others in a timely manner," according to the records obtained by the AP.

Archie was praised, in particular, for his job knowledge and problem solving.

"An area of strength for Doug," Willis wrote, according to the records. "Has a lot of experience in this area, knowing and understanding what it takes to keep our program 'out of jail.' "

Reflecting on those words on Friday, Lynch said, "As is abundantly clear, the context and the use of the quotation marks in this personnel review demonstrate that the comment was a colloquial way of describing Doug Archie's performance. It underlies the fact that Doug has built an excellent compliance program, and he continues to work hard -- and be effective -- in ensuring that the athletics program complies with university, Big Ten and NCAA rules and regulations."

Smith also received glowing reviews after his annual meeting with Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee.

In his most recent evaluation, in August 2010, Gee said of Smith, "You are doing an excellent job leading the department of athletics and achieving national prominence." Gee also wrote that he considered Smith "a role model for leaders."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6600129

05-27-2011 03:55 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Ray Small: Reporter twisted my words

Former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small said Friday a campus newspaper twisted his words and that he has no knowledge of other players breaking NCAA rules.

"I've come back to retract my words, because there's two sides to every story, and I want to tell the world my side of the story," Small said in an interview Friday with Outside the Lines' Tom Farrey.

The newspaper, The Lantern, said it stands by its story and everything Small said is on tape. On Friday, Small said he sold his own memorabilia, but he never said everyone was doing it.

Small said he earned up to $2,000 from selling two of his Big Ten Championship rings while he was playing for the Buckeyes, acts that he knew at the time were in violation of NCAA rules.

[+] EnlargeRay Small
Gary A. Vasquez/US PresswireFormer Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small said Friday a campus newspaper twisted his words and that he has no knowledge of other players breaking NCAA rules.

He just didn't care -- or feel he had a choice. He needed the cash to make ends meet, he said.

"It was either break the rule or get evicted," Small told Outside the Lines on Friday. "That was the best thing I could do. It was the smartest plan I came up with to pay my rent."

Small, whose senior season with the Buckeyes was in 2009, said he sold the rings midway through his Buckeye career because his regular scholarship check for room and board didn't cover his year-round costs of living in Columbus. He also felt compelled to unload them because he lacked the funds to afford a car he was driving at the time, a 2007 Chrysler 300 that carried a $600 monthly payment.

"Being young, I wasn't good with my money," he said. "I made a bad decision on a car and I had to pay it."

Small found himself in the national headlines Wednesday when the student newspaper at Ohio State, The Lantern, published excerpts of a phone interview with him in which he seemed to suggest that teammates regularly received benefits in violation of NCAA rules. On Friday, Small claimed his comments were mischaracterized, and that he knows of no violations of NCAA rules by teammates.

At the same time, when asked by ESPN if he would disclose NCAA violations among teammates if he knew of them, he said no.

"I am a Buckeye at heart," he said.

Small said he acquired the Chrysler 300 through Aaron Kniffin, the former Columbus, Ohio, used car salesman whose transactions to football and other Buckeye athletes have come under scrutiny by officials from a state agency as well as the university's athletic compliance department. Kniffin confirmed to ESPN that he sold the car to Small, or more specifically his grandmother whose credit was used to qualify for the loan.

Small said during his time at Ohio State he drove three cars acquired through Kniffin who encouraged him to use other people to secure the financing. He lacked the credit to qualify for a loan on his own. He said one of the other cars was purchased through his parents, and the other through his then-girlfriend's mother.

He said he was referred to Kniffin by teammates, as the Jack Maxton Chevrolet and later Auto Direct salesman was popular among players. He said they gravitated to Kniffin because he was "cool" with Ohio State players, not because they believed he would give them the discounts based on their athletic stature.

It was either break the rule or get evicted. That was the best thing I could do. It was the smartest plan I came up with to pay my rent.
” -- Former Ohio State receiver Ray Small

Small said The Lantern reporter asked him about deals players received on cars, and that his answer referred to the deal he felt he got.

"Everybody just knew it was quicker to get a car from Jack Max (Jack Maxton Chevrolet), so you know, when you go to Jack Max, you could pick who you want to get a car from," Small said. "Who said that they was giving deals, if so, I didn't get a deal. I wish I did."

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles is investigating at least 50 transactions to try to determine whether athletes and their relatives received discounts not available to the public, which would be a violation of NCAA rules. Ohio State, which has suspended its investigation until the BMV investigation is complete, has said it has no reason to believe any violations occurred.

Small said he does not recall purchase prices of each of the cars. He does recall lots of oversight, led by athletic department compliance director, Doug Archie who he says often checked up on the dealership.

"We were not getting any deals because of Ohio State compliance," Small said. "He was on Aaron Kniffin's neck. He was up there every other day."

Regarding the rings, he said he gave them to a friend to sell and heard that they were purchased by memorabilia collectors. He said he did not know who those collectors were.

Small admitted that he sold "just a couple of my rings," which is a violation of NCAA rules, but said he never said the words "we were all doing it" to the Lantern.

"I never heard another player say he sold his ring," Small said.

Several Ohio State players have taken to Twitter to speak out against Small.

"Show me a coward and I will show you Ray Small," center Mike Brewster tweeted. "He isn't part of the sacred brotherhood anymore. Never on time, never accountable, never sacrificed for the team. Can you trust his word?"

It's possible one of Small's rings may have ended up with Ed Rife, the tattoo parlor owner who offered discounts and cash for player memorabilia. On April 16, 2010 Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel received an email from former player and lawyer Chris Cicero, who relayed information that Rife had allegedly shared with him as a potential client.

Cicero told Tressel, "He told me he has about nine rings Big Ten Championship" and listed three players including a "Roy Small," adding that name was "no surprise." Small had a checkered history with the program including a suspension for the final game of his career. He says he had failed a drug test.

Small told ESPN he has never met Rife, sold memorabilia to him, or been to his tattoo parlor, Fine Line Ink. On Friday, Rife was charged by federal authorities with money laundering and drug trafficking. During the FBI investigation, 36 items of Ohio State memorabilia were found at his home.

In December, Ohio State officials said they didn't do enough to educate players on NCAA rules that prohibit the sale of their own memorabilia. The school had just suspended five players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who had sold between $12,000 and $15,000 worth of memorabilia.

Small, however, said he knew that he was breaking NCAA rules with the sale of his rings.

Not that Small plans to share as much with NCAA investigators, if they come asking. He said he would likely turn down any chance to document violations in a program he still feels a strong connection with.

"They can't do anything for me," he said. "I did it myself, nobody knew about it, that was that. I won't talk to them."

Information from Outside the Lines reporter Tom Farrey, OTL producer Justine Gubar and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/...id=6600920

05-28-2011 12:00 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
I wonder if the hest on osu will affect recruitng? I guess all the people have committee already. It will probably help osu recruiting as the kids will see all the free perks they get!

(05-28-2011 12:00 AM)ctipton Wrote:  Ray Small: Reporter twisted my words

Former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small said Friday a campus newspaper twisted his words and that he has no knowledge of other players breaking NCAA rules.

"I've come back to retract my words, because there's two sides to every story, and I want to tell the world my side of the story," Small said in an interview Friday with Outside the Lines' Tom Farrey.

The newspaper, The Lantern, said it stands by its story and everything Small said is on tape. On Friday, Small said he sold his own memorabilia, but he never said everyone was doing it.

Small said he earned up to $2,000 from selling two of his Big Ten Championship rings while he was playing for the Buckeyes, acts that he knew at the time were in violation of NCAA rules.

[+] EnlargeRay Small
Gary A. Vasquez/US PresswireFormer Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small said Friday a campus newspaper twisted his words and that he has no knowledge of other players breaking NCAA rules.

He just didn't care -- or feel he had a choice. He needed the cash to make ends meet, he said.

"It was either break the rule or get evicted," Small told Outside the Lines on Friday. "That was the best thing I could do. It was the smartest plan I came up with to pay my rent."

Small, whose senior season with the Buckeyes was in 2009, said he sold the rings midway through his Buckeye career because his regular scholarship check for room and board didn't cover his year-round costs of living in Columbus. He also felt compelled to unload them because he lacked the funds to afford a car he was driving at the time, a 2007 Chrysler 300 that carried a $600 monthly payment.

"Being young, I wasn't good with my money," he said. "I made a bad decision on a car and I had to pay it."

Small found himself in the national headlines Wednesday when the student newspaper at Ohio State, The Lantern, published excerpts of a phone interview with him in which he seemed to suggest that teammates regularly received benefits in violation of NCAA rules. On Friday, Small claimed his comments were mischaracterized, and that he knows of no violations of NCAA rules by teammates.

At the same time, when asked by ESPN if he would disclose NCAA violations among teammates if he knew of them, he said no.

"I am a Buckeye at heart," he said.

Small said he acquired the Chrysler 300 through Aaron Kniffin, the former Columbus, Ohio, used car salesman whose transactions to football and other Buckeye athletes have come under scrutiny by officials from a state agency as well as the university's athletic compliance department. Kniffin confirmed to ESPN that he sold the car to Small, or more specifically his grandmother whose credit was used to qualify for the loan.

Small said during his time at Ohio State he drove three cars acquired through Kniffin who encouraged him to use other people to secure the financing. He lacked the credit to qualify for a loan on his own. He said one of the other cars was purchased through his parents, and the other through his then-girlfriend's mother.

He said he was referred to Kniffin by teammates, as the Jack Maxton Chevrolet and later Auto Direct salesman was popular among players. He said they gravitated to Kniffin because he was "cool" with Ohio State players, not because they believed he would give them the discounts based on their athletic stature.

It was either break the rule or get evicted. That was the best thing I could do. It was the smartest plan I came up with to pay my rent.
” -- Former Ohio State receiver Ray Small

Small said The Lantern reporter asked him about deals players received on cars, and that his answer referred to the deal he felt he got.

"Everybody just knew it was quicker to get a car from Jack Max (Jack Maxton Chevrolet), so you know, when you go to Jack Max, you could pick who you want to get a car from," Small said. "Who said that they was giving deals, if so, I didn't get a deal. I wish I did."

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles is investigating at least 50 transactions to try to determine whether athletes and their relatives received discounts not available to the public, which would be a violation of NCAA rules. Ohio State, which has suspended its investigation until the BMV investigation is complete, has said it has no reason to believe any violations occurred.

Small said he does not recall purchase prices of each of the cars. He does recall lots of oversight, led by athletic department compliance director, Doug Archie who he says often checked up on the dealership.

"We were not getting any deals because of Ohio State compliance," Small said. "He was on Aaron Kniffin's neck. He was up there every other day."

Regarding the rings, he said he gave them to a friend to sell and heard that they were purchased by memorabilia collectors. He said he did not know who those collectors were.

Small admitted that he sold "just a couple of my rings," which is a violation of NCAA rules, but said he never said the words "we were all doing it" to the Lantern.

"I never heard another player say he sold his ring," Small said.

Several Ohio State players have taken to Twitter to speak out against Small.

"Show me a coward and I will show you Ray Small," center Mike Brewster tweeted. "He isn't part of the sacred brotherhood anymore. Never on time, never accountable, never sacrificed for the team. Can you trust his word?"

It's possible one of Small's rings may have ended up with Ed Rife, the tattoo parlor owner who offered discounts and cash for player memorabilia. On April 16, 2010 Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel received an email from former player and lawyer Chris Cicero, who relayed information that Rife had allegedly shared with him as a potential client.

Cicero told Tressel, "He told me he has about nine rings Big Ten Championship" and listed three players including a "Roy Small," adding that name was "no surprise." Small had a checkered history with the program including a suspension for the final game of his career. He says he had failed a drug test.

Small told ESPN he has never met Rife, sold memorabilia to him, or been to his tattoo parlor, Fine Line Ink. On Friday, Rife was charged by federal authorities with money laundering and drug trafficking. During the FBI investigation, 36 items of Ohio State memorabilia were found at his home.

In December, Ohio State officials said they didn't do enough to educate players on NCAA rules that prohibit the sale of their own memorabilia. The school had just suspended five players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who had sold between $12,000 and $15,000 worth of memorabilia.

Small, however, said he knew that he was breaking NCAA rules with the sale of his rings.

Not that Small plans to share as much with NCAA investigators, if they come asking. He said he would likely turn down any chance to document violations in a program he still feels a strong connection with.

"They can't do anything for me," he said. "I did it myself, nobody knew about it, that was that. I won't talk to them."

Information from Outside the Lines reporter Tom Farrey, OTL producer Justine Gubar and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/...id=6600920

05-29-2011 01:32 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
[Image: hdr_logo.png]

Ohio State apparently turns a blind eye to football scandal and Big Ten should share blame

[Image: col_hdr_weiss.jpg]

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 4:00 AM

[Image: alg_jim-tressel-helmet.jpg]
Terry Gilliam/AP
Ohio State football and coach Jim Tressel are wrapped up in scandal.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany proudly rebranded the image of his conference last year into divisions of Legends and Leaders, using icons such as Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler and Bob Knight to remind us of the storied past of these universities while alluding to the fact that coaches and administrators from his league can serve as great role models for current student athletes.

Then, last week, he stepped to the podium at the league's spring meetings to advocate his proposal to pay athletes from his conference a living stipend to augment their scholarships.

Delany never shied away from reporters' questions that day.

But there has been an uncomfortable, deafening silence coming from his corner ever since former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small, who played from 2006-09, admitted to the school's student paper that he sold his four Big Ten championship rings for cash and took advantage of a special deal from a local used car dealer.

"They have a lot of dirt on everybody because everybody was doing it," Small told The Lantern.

Small has since said his words were twisted, but the student paper, which has his words on tape, stands by its story.

Delany has vanished from the headlines when it is incumbent for him to be front-and-center, coming up with a solution after one of his brand-name programs egregiously broke the rules. He has to make sure the administration, the coaches and players involved are held accountable.

For all the talk of the Southeastern Conference being a renegade league, SEC commissioner Mike Slive has always stepped to the forefront addressing mistakes attributed to his member schools, held them accountable and done his due diligence.

He personally suspended former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl for the first eight games of the 2010-11 conference season after Pearl admitted lying to NCAA investigators about junior prospects attending a barbecue at his home.

Delany seems reluctant to take on the state of Ohio's greatest asset.

Ohio State is one of the largest universities in this country. But Ohio State football apparently is bigger than the giant corporation it represents. It has become increasingly obvious that school president Gordon Gee and AD Gene Smith have either turned a blind eye or are reluctant to take a hard line because of the idolatry involved and the enormous revenue produced by a program that won a national championship in 2002 and at least a share the Big Ten title the last six seasons and has beaten archrival Michigan nine out of 10 times under coach Jim Tressel.

The reports of Small's admissions have become an all-too-familiar story ever since the school self-reported last December that Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor and four other key players jeopardized their eligibility by selling memorabilia to the operator of a local tattoo parlor, who was under investigation by the FBI at the time for drug trafficking. We can debate whether this qualifies as a crime, but if it is against NCAA rules and is as widespread as it appears, something has to be done.

The continuing soap opera has painted a disturbing picture of Ohio State, both of its administrators and a coach, Tressel, who was willing to stage a cover-up to protect his stars' actions.

It is impossible to believe that high-ranking members of the administration had no clue something was wrong when players began arriving at practice in a fleet of Dodge Chargers and Chryslers, making the parking lot at the Hayes Center look like a mini-NFL training facility, and when jerseys of current players began hanging in car dealerships around town. The Columbus Dispatch eventually reported these same dealers had sold around 50 cars to Ohio State players and family members. One lead salesman had received free tickets and guest passes from the players.

It is almost as if Gee has fostered an environment that has bred an attitude of entitlement. Smith certainly didn't help either with an 11-day, Keystone Kops investigation in which Small, who was listed on an initial list of hundreds of players thought to be involved, was never interviewed. There is little doubt detectives from any "Law & Order" franchise were not on the task force.

The players initially were suspended for five games, but Delany, Smith and Paul Hoolahan, the CEO of the Sugar Bowl, successfully lobbied the NCAA to reinstate them for the bowl and postpone the penalties until the 2011 season.

It was not until March 8 that Tressel, who was made aware of the memorabilia sales eight months prior but never reported them to compliance and knowingly played ineligible players the entire season, was suspended for the first two games this upcoming season and fined $250,000 for failing to notify the school of NCAA violations.

Tressel initially signed a compliance form claiming he hadn't told anyone else about the violations and even requested he receive the same penalty as the players. But the situation grew worse after The Dispatch went through his records and discovered he had had discussions with Pryor's mentor, a businessman in Jeanette, Pa., once he was aware of the allegations.

On April 25, the NCAA accused Tressel of withholding information and lying to keep his players eligible, both potential "major violations." Tressel is currently on a short leash and has hired Gene Marsh, the former NCAA committee on infractions chairman, to represent him at his hearing - in which he will likely fight for his job.

Eventually, the NCAA will have its say in all this. If the governing body for college athletics wants to maintain any sense of integrity, this storied program will receive more than a wrist slap.

At least, the NCAA is in a position to show that the same rules apply to everyone.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colleg...tml?page=0

05-29-2011 01:32 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Ohio State football: Scandal's effect on recruiting hard to gauge
Sunday, May 29, 2011 03:16 AM
By Ken Gordon
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Has the NCAA investigation into the Ohio State football program affected recruiting?

The numbers suggest so, but everyone says no.

It's logical to assume that high-school prospects would avoid committing to OSU right now. The Buckeyes are preparing for an Aug.12 date before the NCAA committee on infractions that will decide their fate.

Coach Jim Tressel's five-game suspension could be extended. OSU could face a bowl-game ban or scholarship reductions. Nothing is clear, but nothing is off the table, either.

The news that Tressel committed a major NCAA violation came down on March8, which in recent years has been in the heart of a period when OSU usually lands about a half-dozen players.

For the recruiting classes of 2007 through 2011, OSU averaged six commitments from February through May.

But this spring, it has been very quiet on the recruiting front. The Buckeyes went from early December to late April without any commitments, and have just two since then.

One of those, receiver Frank Epitropoulos from Upper Arlington, is the son of a former OSU player who lives almost within the shadow of Ohio Stadium. The other is Blake Thomas, a tight end from Cleveland St. Ignatius.

But several Ohio high-school coaches whose players are being recruited say they detect no concern about Ohio State's future among their kids.

"Not with the kids around here," said Ron Johnson, the Canton McKinley coach, who has a heavily pursued defensive lineman, Se'Von Pittman. "What happens is the guys are always going to judge the value and integrity of a coach and a program as you know it right now. There's such a respect factor for that program and coach Tressel that's so well-established. That's not going to waver."

Besides the low numbers of recent commitments, the other eye-opening recruiting development was the news that running back Brionte Dunn of Canton GlenOak, who committed to OSU last year, decided to visit Michigan.

Could the Buckeyes be taking a step back in their class of 2012?

"No, he's 100 percent committed to Ohio State," GlenOak coach Scott Garcia said. "He just wanted to go out and see some other places, kind of compare different places and different facilities."

Garcia said the NCAA investigation "hasn't been an issue at all" with Dunn.

The fact that OSU has only seven members in its class so far is not a big deal. The Buckeyes have only enough scholarships to sign 18 to 20 players.

In 2008, OSU signed 20 players in a class ranked No.4 nationally by both Rivals.com and Scout.com.

Allen Trieu, Midwest recruiting manager for Scout.com, agrees with the coaches that OSU is not being hurt much by recent events. But he does see one effect.

"I think some kids may be holding off," Trieu said. "Some of them may have taken a wait-and-see approach. I do think, normally, a couple other kids would have committed already."

Trieu mentioned Pittman and defensive lineman Adolphus Washington of Cincinnati Taft as players in that waiting category.

Mike Martin, Washington's coach at Taft, repeated what other coaches said about OSU's reputation.

"I think the tradition of Ohio State stands out more than anything," Martin said.

But Johnson points out that the wait-and-see approach is irrelevant, because even committed players can change their minds until February, when they sign a letter of intent.

"Some of these guys are just doing their due diligence, doing the camp circuits in the spring and summer," Johnson said. "Everybody believes everything (at OSU) is going to work out."

kgordon@dispatch.com

05-29-2011 02:24 PM
lazyeyep22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
Looks like the answer is yes, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

05-30-2011 08:20 AM
THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want
02-13-banana 03-cloud9 02-13-banana 03-lmfao 04-rock 04-bow 04-cheers 04-cheers

05-30-2011 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.