Bookmark and Share
The Grassy Nole Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU & Ohio U
RE: T.C.U. AD Says About the Future of the Big 12, "There Are No Guarantees."
(04-05-2018 11:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-05-2018 10:56 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(04-05-2018 03:21 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-05-2018 02:22 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  ...the ideal for the ACC would be: Texas, TCU, WVU and any 4th Big XII team except Texas Tech (too far). If Texas/OU ends up being another ACC/SEC rivalry, all the better.

(04-04-2018 08:43 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ...Texas Tech is a bridge too far for the ACC but Texas, T.C.U., Baylor, Houston, and Kansas State would give them quite a bit. Then you could put N.D. to the question, "In or out?" They'd go in because they have nowhere else to go to get a special deal and the ACC offers them more of what they need.

Then ESPN can use the SEC to take the two Oklahoma's, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech and W.V.U..

Both conferences move to 20 and nobody worries about the worth of a product because the ACC with UT and ND moves to 50 million per school, the SEC moves to 55, and the total cost to ESPN, including buying out the FOX half, (even if they sublet the rights back to FOX), and the remaining T3 would not top $800 million. That's 4% of the total profits of ESPN.

To sew up 40 solid programs in the largest market footprint, combined with the 1st & 3rd best viewing regions would be huge.

And quite frankly they could do it without increasing the budget if they let MNF go.

JR, I love this scenario of yours and I hope it comes to pass, but... can't we trade Kansas State for WVU? The 'Eers have HUGE multiplier value in the ACC (vs. Pitt, VT, Syracuse, and to a lesser extent UVA, BC, Louisville, etc.). There must be some way to make that happen!?!

I'd be willing to trade Baylor for WVU if the problem is 2 teams from Kansas (which IS a problem, no doubt).

Hey, I'm not exactly hot for WVU, but the issue for the SEC is divisional balance.

Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, West Virginia

We won't take 3 from a state under these circumstances and Texas will insist on a division of friendly faces if they head to the ACC. So it just breaks that way.

Anyway I hope ESPN sees the same merit in it that we do.

I don't mind this arrangement (though I think getting KY-TN in the same division with Vandy might be a better overall setup). I do think that WVU is worth more in the ACC than in the SEC. And honestly I don't know what value KSU would bring after Snyder anyway. (No offense meant to KSU fans, I really am saying "I don't know"). So what if the ACC took WVU instead of KSU and the SEC took USF? KSU could land in the AAC or the MWC and be okay-ish, or even wind up with the NY6 bowl most years due to their advantages. If they convince a conference to unbalanced pay/etc. (ala the WCC to keep Gonzaga), they could make decent money (not the $50 mil range but maybe 15-20 mil with NCAA credits/etc, maybe.)

I know the SEC wouldn't normally take a G5 school, but USF has pretty good research and would give the school a second Florida team without taking from the ACC. They also have some (short) history, reaching #2 in the nation in the old Big East. They also have 50,000+ students, etc.

Just a thought. If the the networks want to maximize value, then WVU to the ACC does make some sense.

I agree that USF will eventually have a big upside and that the SEC should keep an eye on them. But, as many of these threads are want to do the premise of what is being discussed was lost a few pages back. The concept being discussed has to do with ESPN absorbing all of the Big 12 between the ACC and SEC so that it could be moved prior to the expiration of the GOR so the placement of Kansas State, Baylor, and Iowa State is assumed here for the purposes of the speculation.

As to Hokie Marks suggestions of having Oklahoma State head to the ACC with Texas, that is probably the most detrimental thing that Oklahoma could experience schedule wise. They need to have either Texas or Oklahoma State with them in order to keep playing both regularly as they do not want them both as OOC games. So if the ACC wants Texas and the SEC wants Oklahoma in this scenario then Okie State needs to stay with the Sooners. That's why I placed KState in the ACC in my scenario. Snyder and Texas have always had good relations and Texas needed another regional school in its division and if Texas Tech is too far for the ACC schools then KState has to be it.

Although Tech in the ACC sounds crazy, does it really matter when one is seemingly ok with a TCU addition(who is only a few hour drive away from Tech)? I feel that beggars can't be choosers and if the ACC were blessed enough to acquire Texas, they should welcome Tech with open arms. If Texas requests another lone star state institution into the ACC with them, Tech would probably be their choice; not TCU, Houston, or Rice. Surprisingly Baylor has a legit shot as well because of their political poll in Texas (they have the oldest law school in the state).
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2018 01:53 PM by The Grassy Nole.)
04-05-2018 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: T.C.U. AD Says About the Future of the Big 12, "There Are No Guarantees." - The Grassy Nole - 04-05-2018 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.