Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment proposal to end all further realignment
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Realignment proposal to end all further realignment
(01-27-2018 03:40 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 11:16 AM)ken d Wrote:  On the P5 forum, I floated an idea which was triggered by the suggestion that the PAC may be more open to change than previously suspected. Because that idea affects some teams not now in the P5, I thought I would float it here as well.

Essentially, the Big 12 - often thought to be in its death throes - would remain intact in my proposal. Instead of the Texhoma schools moving west to the PAC, as some have suggested, I propose that the 4 California schools plus Washington and Oregon move east to the B12. That would bring the B12 to 16 members, and quell talk of megaconferences of 18, 20 or even more.

The remaining 6 PAC members would rebuild by adding Boise State, San Diego State and Fresno State from the MWC plus independent BYU. These schools could never have hoped to be invited to the current PAC largely because of resistance from the California schools. Fresno isn't a critical add here, but it would add a second school in the behemoth that is the state of California to help recruiting. This new PAC, which I presume would still legally own the PACN, would sell that albatross to the B12 which could make it very profitable where the PAC never could.

A 7th bowl would be added to the New Year's Six, allowing for both the new PAC plus the AAC to get autobids. Now, we can redesignate the six autobid conferences as the NY6 instead of the P6, and that's how I will refer to them.

The B12 has more room to expand than the PAC.

The 4 California schools, Arizona St and Colorado would balloon the B12 to 16. Texas Tech and Texas could then join the western division.

B12 would take the Rose Bowl spot while the PAC becomes the host for the Fiesta Bowl in the NY6.

PAC could then add BYU, Boise St, SDSU, SJSU, UNLV, Colorado St. I would think SJSU would get in over Fresno St for market purposes. The PAC exception to Boise St joining would be no more without the California schools.

The California schools' admins, especially Stanford and Berkley, would just as soon associate themselves with Texas and the other red states as they would vote republican. They're not leaving the Pac.

The Pac giving up the Rose Bowl to the B12 to go play in the Fiesta? That is one of the dumber suggestions I've seen in a while, and that's saying a lot for this board.

Plus it would be a huge mess as to tier3 rights. Would the Pac schools bring their Pac12 networks with them? I doubt it. The Pac12 owns those networks. Would the 9 other B12 schools creat their own P12-esque networks when the Pac's have proven to be underwhelming? The LHN is still the elephant in the room.

The California schools aren't leaving. It's a ludicrous suggestion. The P12 would probably take 4 from the B12 if the opportunity came up, otherwise they'll be just fine staying where they are.
01-27-2018 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realignment proposal to end all further realignment - ColKurtz - 01-27-2018 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.