Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just want to add a little more unrest
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Just want to add a little more unrest
(01-12-2018 12:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 06:57 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 05:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The Port is toward the top of the list.

Yes, that was an oversight. But, also, my understanding is that Norfolk gets nothing from the port directly. All that goes straight to Richmond to be distributed to the western localities and NOVA. Of course, Norfolk gets no revenue directly from ODU either, so the benefits to the area are similar.

I don't understand your second and third sentence. What do you mean?

That as a non-profit ODU isn't paying taxes back to the city, neither is the Navy and the Port. The Port makes a lot of money, but Norfolk gets none of it, the state keeps it to redistribute as they see fit. At least thats what a Norfolk politician told me. "Norfolk is the golden goose that lays lots of eggs for the western parts of the state."

ODU, the Navy and the Port are huge economic benefits for the city though, because hopefully a sizable portion of people working there live in the city. They shop in the city, eat in the city etc and contribute to the economy that way. There are also private business that are started to support those entities. Additionally, a more academically robust ODU would draw businesses and research to the region as they would be attracted to hiring our grads and partnering with our researchers and labs. Its no coincidence the research triangle is in between UNC, Duke and NC State for example.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 06:20 PM by monarx.)
01-12-2018 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just want to add a little more unrest - monarx - 01-12-2018 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.