Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU
(01-09-2018 10:48 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 10:11 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  
Quote:And the WMU law school is a bad joke. We should cut our losses and invest that $ in outreach and undergrad admissions.

Defend that statement with some arguments.

Any program offerings that distinguish Western from it's regional Michigan rivals is for the best. The program is accredited, so what's your beef?

Use the savings for outreach and undergrad Admissions? That's a pretty broad statement, but what is says to me is WMU needs to accept what it is and be more of what it has been in the past-a regional, 'no frills' university with standard offerings. In other words, be more like CMU, EMU, GVSU and SVSU. Yeah, that'll get the job done-NOT.

If we offer the same programs as GVSU, they will continue to increase in student population while we decrease. Why? Because there are a hell of a lot more folks in Kent/Ottaway/Muskegon County than there are in Metro-Kalamazoo. Why would anyone come from the GR region to attend school in Kalamazoo when they can leverage the exact same programs in their own backyard? They won't.

Western needs the professional programs to set us apart and make us attractive. That was the plan Haenicke and Dunn put together and it was the right move. We should do more of that, not less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Mi...reputation

Poor reputation, sanctions from the American Bar Association, lawsuits, plummeting enrollment, staff layoffs, poor post-graduation employment outlook, consistently ranked poorly by independent publications...

Those are all subjective metrics (it depends on who they asked for input) but assuming there is some merit in the criticisms what that says to me is the program needs strong leadership to get it back on track. I do know this much, my late mother graduated from Cooley Law School and was employed in the field for 25 years with a good salary. An education is largely what you do with it.

In my field, Engineering, UM was legitimately criticized for many decades for their poor instruction in Bachelors level classes. They had mostly foreign graduate students teaching classes, the Professors were all doing research and teaching doctoral level students. Yet, whenever a poll came out about Engineering Schools the University of Michigan always ranked high. So much for polls, they make good reading in Dentists offices when you have nothing better to do.

All I know is this, Western needs programs which are effective at placing students in the workplace. They need programs that fill niches, that nobody else offers. They need professional programs. WMU needs programs that attract students from other states and overseas. Like:

1. Paper and Print technology
2. Aviation and Pilot Training
3. Accredited Engineering Program
4. Medical School offering MS and DO programs
5. Law School
6. Physical Therapy

These are the type of programs that'll build our reputation, attract students and distinguish us from the run of the mill state, regional schools. Frankly, we need to focus less on student population and more on the quality of students we attract.

Western should be pushing it's envelope every year, so that even making a comparison between WMU and GVSU is farcical.
01-09-2018 11:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU - BroncoPhilly - 01-09-2018 11:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.