Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to keep college football from becoming a regional sport?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: How to keep college football from becoming a regional sport?
(01-04-2018 11:21 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I don't think regionalization is a bad thing. As I've said before, talent for all sports is regionalized to some degree which has a bearing on championships, NCAA playoff bids, and perception.

I would prefer smaller conferences, but more conferences. Something like:

PAC
West: Washington, Oregon, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA
East: Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech

B1G
West: Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois
East: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St

SEC
West: Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St
East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida

ACC
Atlantic: Miami, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, North Carolina St, Maryland, Penn St
Coastal: Florida St, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Big East
West: Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Iowa St, Northwestern, Purdue
East: Notre Dame, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College

XII
West: Washington St, Oregon St, Boise St, BYU, UNLV, San Diego St
East: Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico, Baylor, TCU, Kansas St

AAC
West: Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, Navy
East: Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Temple, Connecticut

CUSA
West: Arkansas St, Southern Miss, UAB, Middle Tennessee St, Western Kentucky, Florida International
East: Massachusetts, Army, Marshall, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic

MWC
West: Hawaii, San Jose St, Fresno St, Nevada, Utah St, Wyoming
East: New Mexico St, UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Louisiana Tech

MAC
West: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo
East: Bowling Green St, Ohio, Miami OH, Akron, Kent St, Buffalo

SBC
West: Texas St, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, South Alabama, Troy
East: Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian St, Liberty

Here's my issue with most of your posts. You don't take into account the reality of the pecking order. The SEC as a conference is worth 4.5 billion in potential revenue production from its network. The Big 10 as a conference is worth 1.5 billion in potential revenue from its network. The PAC network is worth in the low millions. The LHN is worth about 15 million annually to just Texas. Oklahoma and Kansas have deals worth about 7 million a year with their T3 and everyone else in the Big 12 less. The ACC is yet to launch a network and they get 1 amount for all three tiers of rights.

The SEC's average Gross Total Revenue per school per year is 131 million. The Big 10's is 116 million. The Big 12's is 108 million but that is skewed by Texas and Oklahoma who together represent 40% of the total gross revenue of that conference. The ACC was worth 87 million per school and the PAC 89 million per school.

The attendance figures follow the same pattern: SEC 77,500 per event, B1G 66,100 per event. Big 12 60,000 per event, PAC 50,100 per event, and the ACC 49,100 per event.

So by every danged metric in the sport the SEC is First, the Big 10 second, the Big 12 third, the PAC barely 4th, and the ACC 5th. When the ACCN launches those last two spots will flip. And the ACC will be much closer to catching the Big 12 than the PAC will be to catching the ACC.

I want you to take that in and smoke it over.

There is no damned reason at all for the SEC to take Oklahoma State alone. You stick some crap team in the SEC in every one of your posts and load up the Big 10 and in this case move an SEC school to the ACC like any university president is so stupid as to trade an average of 34 million a year by leaving a stronger association for a weaker one.

What's more the disparity between regions is about to grow. The cable footprint model favored the Big 10 and SEC, but propped up the ACC and PAC and hurt the Big 12. When we start to get paid according to actual viewers which is what the streaming age is going to do, the Big 10 and SEC will still be on top, but the Big 12 will be third the ACC fourth and the PAC even a more woeful last.

So keep that in mind when you draw up your scenarios. Oklahoma could legitimately go to the Big 10 or SEC, but the SEC isn't taking Oklahoma State without OU. Instead they would go for a target of greater value. South Carolina won't be leaving the strongest economic conference in the nation for the 4th or 5th best.

I doubt that Texas heads to the PAC. The question is whether they try to rebuild the Big 12 or not.

We will all know more about the future when by 2020 we can see whether or not the ACCN helps them close the gap. If so they'll be fine. If not they won't. The PAC is a whole different matter. I just don't see a positive upside for them. When your fan base doesn't support you then you are hosed.
01-04-2018 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to keep college football from becoming a regional sport? - JRsec - 01-04-2018 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.