Notre Dame to examine future scheduling strategy
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Notre Dame to examine future scheduling strategy
(01-23-2018 10:56 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 12:13 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 11:33 AM)TerryD Wrote:  ND just went 10-3 and beat LSU in a New Year's Bowl game. That is two 10 win seasons in the last three years. Not bad.

ND is ranked #6 in recruiting. But, the internet is full of folks predicting its demise or its supposed cave in to the conference Borg. It must be the offseason.

If I could piggyback on something I put in another thread...

I wouldn't discount the statements of Brian Kelly on issues like this. He may not be the guy who makes the decisions, but he's spoken out on these topics a few times now. If he doesn't have permission from the administration to share these sentiments then I think someone would have taken him aside behind closed doors and told him to pipe down.

What I think is more likely is that he is being used to plant these ideas in the minds of the Irish faithful and thus to soften the blow.

People have been saying that for over 20 years now. I heard that in 2003, it was a "done deal" that ND was going to join the ACC in full, with a 7 year phase in to "soften the blow".

In 2012, when ND partially joined the ACC, many fans of that conference thought there was a "secret deal" between ND and the ACC, with a "breathing space" built in to soften up the Irish fan rubes to the "real deal" of phased in full conference membership.

Didn't happen and won't happen.

All of these types of comments assume that ND fans are a mindless bunch and that some sort of psychological "softening" or trick is somehow going to magically wipe away the total negativity that Irish football fans feel towards conference affiliation.

I guess we will see these types of posts in 2028, as well.

It's yet to be determined whether ND joining in 2012 produced an agreement that would lead to them eventually joining in full. They are, after all, obligated to join the ACC if they decide to join one at all before 2027. That's an odd feature to have in a contract and a completely worthless one if the powers that be had no intention of ever joining a league under any circumstances. It's entirely possible that the people crafting that contract know more than you or I do.

And nobody said Irish fans were rubes. What's being said is that perhaps their collective negativity is based in tradition and custom rather than an examination of the circumstances. The truth of the matter is that Notre Dame fans don't know what it's like to have their football team in a conference because it's never happened before. If people spend a few years contemplating the idea though and then it happens, well maybe they realize it wasn't an earth shattering tragedy for it to happen.
01-23-2018 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Notre Dame to examine future scheduling strategy - AllTideUp - 01-23-2018 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.