Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sunday A/V Club - 12/23/17 - Chris Edwards on GOP tax reform
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Sunday A/V Club - 12/23/17 - Chris Edwards on GOP tax reform
(12-20-2017 08:02 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  From everything I have seen, the vast majority of the middle class will pay less. In particular, it looks to me like anyone who doesn't itemize under the old law will come out way ahead. So I'm not sure why calling it a middle class tax cut is not being honest. It seems to me that calling it anything else is not being honest.

Most will pay less. But most of the benefits are geared towards businesses and business owners.

A single person that doesn't itemize and makes 50K will see a reduction of taxes of roughly 1200. At 100K a reduction of roughly 2700. I don't think anybody will turn down a 2.5% increase in their take home pay but it's not going to have a huge effect on their spending habits or lifestyle either. If they itemized before the advantage will be less, if they have children under 17 it will be more.

If that same single 100K income taxpayer earned his money as a partner in a partnership rather than as an employee then his tax savings go from 2700 to 7200 (assuming he's not limited by the wage requirement - edit: at that income level there is no wage requirement)
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 04:02 PM by mturn017.)
12-21-2017 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sunday A/V Club - 12/23/17 - Chris Edwards on GOP tax reform - mturn017 - 12-21-2017 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.