Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
RE: Keelon Lawson says Bowen was the problem
(12-15-2017 04:43 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 04:05 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 03:29 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 01:22 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(12-15-2017 12:58 PM)OldManTiger Wrote:  On with Jason and John at 11:40. Podcast will be up later.

Quick excerpts:
Said that the problem was not Tubby ("Tubby is a great coach and a great person").
He said his problems were with Bowen "who lied to us".
Loves Memphis and wants the city to support Tubby and the Tigers.
Says the real problem with local recruiting is the fans not giving the team the support the recruits think they deserve.
Believes Penny will surround himself with the best and be a great college coach.

I will keep an eye out for the podcast link.

This is concerning if true, but it strikes me as not quite accurate. The fanbase is strong and would explode in support if there were literally any top 50-100 players ready to reload next year.

But... I'm not a part of the 901 hoops scene, Lawson is.

So, I can't simply say he's wrong. Hell, he'd know and he might be right.
And if he's right, God help us all.

The enthusiasm needs the seed of recruiting victories or legit wins.
If the recruiting victories need the seed of enthusiasm, with the program where it is?

We have a problem.

He is the 4th person to say something like this in the past few months. Vanover's dad said local support was the reason they were delaying signing. But then he signed anyway. Kennedy's dad or coach said support was an issue. Harris's coach said it last week. Now Keelon.

People here don't want to hear it because it's calling you out as part of the problem - not part of the solution. But after a while there maybe some truth to it?

I don't think you're wrong necessarily. I fully believe we as a fanbase might be contributing to our demise a bit. It is possible some people are down on the program and are letting that seep into their comments, attendance, etc.

The problem then is this. What to do?

I'll be at the game on Saturday (should be a rare treat to me to see the Tigers in NYC) and will attend a local game over the holidays and hopefully organize a Temple road trip.

Still, it's hard to tell the fans to get up for this when the schedule is so weak and the future looks so tough.

Chicken or egg. Which comes first?

Regardless of above, the BB program needs a massive shot in the arm. Someway, somehow.

What will it be?
What CAN it be?

Yeah, I get that. We are in a cycle now where we are self-inflicting. Nothing can be done at this point but break it off and start over. When that happens, though, we need to step up with dollars, attendance - and quit our crying and complaining. No matter who is hired.

I'm just afraid the hiring next time is going to be just as difficult as the recruiting has become now. Pastner got ugly. Now an ugly end to a respected guy in the fraternity. Maybe the lowered expectations help lure someone, but these endings will give pause to many. Another reason that Penny makes a lot of sense this time.

Again, you're not wrong.

We'll see what happens. Best case, Tubby pulls a few rabbits out of a hat and gets this stable prior to him leaving, voluntarily or otherwise.

The fanbase backs well when given a reason I feel. I just hope we can make the right (not a WOW hire, but a GOOD hire) when given the chance next time.
12-15-2017 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keelon Lawson says Bowen was the problem - Sundanceuiuc - 12-15-2017 04:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.