Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd
Just saw this and I never thought that I could ever *disagree* more with Dennis Dodd. The only legit argument is about health concerns, except that the powers that be are hypocritical on that point. Every single other argument is a complete artificial straw-man. I'm sick of the whining about a hypothetical "4-loss conference champion making the playoff". IMHO, as long as it was earned 100% completely on-the-field, then that's ALWAYS more equitable than a bunch of old guys sitting in a conference room in Dallas choosing teams based on the eye test. It's not even that a 4-loss P5 champion is even that likely (which isn't in this day and age) - it's that it shouldn't even matter because if you win your conference, that is the ONLY thing that a school (outside of independents) can do that is 100% within its control and ought to be elevated accordingly. Everything else, such as strength of schedule, non-conference games and eye ball test issues are not within anyone's true control. I also don't know where Dodd gets this wacky notion that (a) there somehow can't be P5 champ auto-bids but (b) there MUST a reserved spot for the G5. Absolutely none of that argument made sense whatsoever. I'm sure the G5 fans on this board would like that one... but once again, that makes no sense.

Also, where on Earth do we get the notion that conference championship games would need to be eliminated to have a larger playoff? Are we once again believing the money-grubbing college administrators that they will supposedly refuse to have 2 more teams play one extra week in January for hundreds of millions of more dollars? Really?

ESPN might not *want* to spend more money, but that doesn't mean that it won't spend money to get the highest-rated product available... and I think an 8-team playoff would raise ratings from the regular season through the postseason across the board.

I could go on and on about these issues, but pretty much every argument against an expanded playoff outside of health concerns for the players is an artificial barrier made up in the minds of the powers that be... and such barriers can be removed easily when the price is right. They did it before with the current 4-team playoff system, where the most powerful people in the sport were stating that there would NEVER be an expansion of the BCS just a few months before they suddenly all changed their tunes. When the price is right, all of these immovable barriers suddenly don't look immovable anymore.
12-05-2017 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd - Frank the Tank - 12-05-2017 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.