Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Need calm down.
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
RE: Need calm down.
I think a 1000 SAT would be around the minimum it would take to be successful at Rice. Also class rank and quality of high school need to be taken into consideration. There should be better coordination of admission and athletic staff than Hambone experienced.

The times we lowered standards too much are when we had athletes that did not stay very long and were trouble when they were here.

quote='Hambone10' pid='14834209' dateline='1511908370']
(11-28-2017 02:01 PM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  I wonder if anybody in the athletic department tracks on-field success and classroom success at Rice as a function of high school grades and test scores.

Any initiative to lower standards needs a better justification than somebody thinks it seems like it ought to maybe help.

Every recruit that ekes in is a slot that’s not available to a higher-scoring kid. How many Travis Bradshaws have chosen to take an FCS scholarship, or to walk on at UT, or to not play in college at all? Regardless of conventional wisdom, I wouldn’t be shocked if the history suggests Rice increase entrance requirements.

I’d be more open to simplifying the process than to lowering standards.

The bold actually crossed my mind.

I think if we invested in national recruiting, we could probably find more 2+ star players who scored 1000+ and not have to dip academically for the same caliber student.

I didn't say it because there is probably not much of a correlation between 50-100 points on SAT and kids who have the intensity to succeed academically vs those who skate by because they're athletes.... but i think the point is valid.

Not player by player.... but I think we could RAISE our measures (not standards, but 'yield') with the same or better athletes if we recruited nationally. Coaches could spend more time coaching kids and less time with tutors. Tutors are important, don't get me wrong... but guys who don't need as much tutoring can practice more

(11-28-2017 02:13 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  IIRC, you got end at about the tail end of our experiment with lower standards. It was exactly the tradeoff you describe, cut money and spend less to recruit athletes instead of student athletes. How did it work?

As you probably know, I walked on at Rice. I was on the wait list and Alborn was the speaker at my football banquet. I asked if he could put in a good word for me. He said his word would do more harm than good on campus.
[/quote]
11-28-2017 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Need calm down. - junrice - 11-28-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: Need calm down. - Hambone10 - 11-28-2017, 01:00 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-28-2017, 02:13 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Antarius - 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: Need calm down. - LAOwl - 11-28-2017, 01:17 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Gravy Owl - 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: Need calm down. - illiniowl - 11-28-2017, 02:46 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Gravy Owl - 11-28-2017, 03:22 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Hambone10 - 11-28-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: Need calm down. - 75src - 11-28-2017 06:10 PM
RE: Need calm down. - Tomball Owl - 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.