Bookmark and Share
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
RE: CFP Just Got A Lot More Complicated
(11-01-2017 08:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 08:54 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 07:59 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(10-29-2017 01:05 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  No way should the over rated Big 10 get 2 teams in, Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Georgia if things stay the same. TCU messed up theirs and Big 12 chances, UW is only one with a chance out of PAC. Then their is Norte Dame. Of course, this could all get blown up next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big 12 is definitely not out of the picture yet. Oklahoma has a OOC win on the road at Ohio State and their loss to Iowa State no longer looks that bad.

OUs next two games are against teams currently ranked in the top 10/12 (depending on the poll) and if the Sooners win both of those they will be sitting in a good position.

Of course, I don't necessarily expect that to happen because the Big 12 has a history of eating itself up. That is what happens when you actually play everyone in your conference. You don't get to miss all the top conference teams like Wisconsin does in the Big 10 (and that comment is coming from a Wisconsin fan).

I think the XII is in control of their own destiny.

OU has a quality win against tOSU, and a quality loss to ISU
TCU has quality wins over OSU & WVU, and a quality loss against ISU

OKST's resume isn't that great, but a win over OU would help.

The only way they aren't in is if ISU wins the conference. Losses against TX & Iowa aren't going to get it done.

As for the whole Wisconsin has a weak schedule, I don't recall people squawking last year when they played tOSU, Michigan, and LSU.

You play the schedule given and win the games you're supposed to win, that's all you can do. Not to mention, it isn't their fault that BYU, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota are down this year. Normally that would be a decent schedule.

Who gets in depends on the SEC championship game (everything being equal and teams staying on course). Georgia wins and ND is in. Bama blows Georgia out, ND is in. Bama squeaks by and I think the other 3 will boil down these.....

ND
Georgia
B1G winner
XII winner (unless it's ISU)
Clemson (if ISU wins the XII)

The Big 12 has an issue that nobody is addressing. Yes OU defeated OSU in Columbus, and T.C.U. beat a woeful Arkansas squad, but outside of that they have an abysmal record against OOC opponents. That little fact could yet prove to be their undoing.

P5 vs P5 or ND, the Big 12 didn't do drastically worse than some others.

PAC 12: 6-3 (67%)
Big 10: 7-5 (58%)
SEC: 6-6 (50%)
Big 12: 4-6 (40%)
ACC: 5-8 (38%) - didn't count ND here, but would be an additional 3 ACC losses. They are kind of de-facto conference due to schedule agreement.

I would agree that outside of Oklahoma, nobody in the Big 12 has a marque OOC win.

Are these the best wins by conference?
Big 12 - Ohio State
Big 10 - Iowa State?
SEC - Notre Dame
PAC 12 - Texas A&M?
ACC - Auburn

I'd argue that Georgia and Oklahoma are the only teams that have a elite OOC win. Next would be Clemson with the very good Auburn win and Iowa with a strong Iowa State win. I also think Bama gets some credit for Florida State as obviously odd circumstances there where Bama for most of the game faced a very different FSU team.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 12:23 PM by tcufrog86.)
11-02-2017 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: CFP Just Got A Lot More Complicated - tcufrog86 - 11-02-2017 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.