If USF or UCF win out, what is the highest either can get in polls
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: If USF or UCF win out, what is the highest either can get in polls
(10-16-2017 07:40 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 06:20 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 05:26 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 05:06 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  About the two bolded parts ...

(1) By 'scheduling up', i mean playing good teams. You seem to think the notion of a good team is purely a scheduling anomaly, e.g., that Alabama really isn't better than Georgia Southern, it's just that Alabama gets to schedule UAB at home while Georgia Southern plays UAB on the road. That doesn't have any connection with reality.

(2) We can't demand that, because we, the AAC, aren't in a position to. Everyone wants to play home games because of revenue. Alabama isn't going to agree to a home and home with Tulsa just because Tulsa or you or I think that makes computer comparisons more 'fair and valid'.

So you do what you can, which is play them there. 07-coffee3

It's better to schedule and beat Georgia State than schedule and likely lose to Alabama (especially if you schedule a one and done with everything in Alabama's favor). If you don't get that, you don't understand the system we're in and how the P5 manipulate and win in it.

I'm pretty confident that no G5 will ever make the playoffs with the OOC schedule that UCF and USF have this year. As long as we play those OOC games, our "poll ceiling" will be lower than #4.

I think that's the nature of the system we are in.

I think this is probably correct. Another factor that complicates this is that schedules are largely made years in advance. For example, USF has a game scheduled at Texas in 2024, when the kids who will be playing in that game are almost all in 7th to 10th grade. Given the ups and downs that can affect a team over an 8 year period, it's hard to know whether you should be scheduling for a chance at a playoff bid or a chance to get bowl eligible. USF is only 4 years removed from a 2-10 season, and scheduling at that time was unlikely to warrant calling up Oklahoma and scheduling a game. And Illinois is only a few years removed from a Rose Bowl appearance. It's a crap shoot scheduling right. If USF had built their schedule this spring, they'd have known to try to schedule for a playoff. Hindsight's 20/20.

USFFan

Agree on all counts. 04-cheers
10-16-2017 08:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If USF or UCF win out, what is the highest either can get in polls - quo vadis - 10-16-2017 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.