Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Forbes Top Colleges: Rice is #22.
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Forbes Top Colleges: Rice is #22.
(08-05-2017 02:29 AM)owl95 Wrote:  Those metrics are sensible but how the heck do we lose that hard to schools like Pomona and Claremont Mckenna??? Many of my alumni peers are working their way into middle-senior management at Fortune 500 companies. You're telling me Pomona had better outcomes than the average Rice graduate 10-20 years out? Hard to believe.

The answer I believe lies in a bigger picture relative valuation between "Research Universities" (among which Rice is rated 15th here) and "Liberal Arts Universities" (among which Pomona and Claremont pop out as #1 and #2).

The other five in the Liberal Arts category ahead of Rice are:
3. Williams
4. Amherst
5. Harvey Mudd
6. Swarthmore
7. Navy

More specifically, but without seeing the numbers, we probably lose some points on our 4-year graduation rate (though they did this year give a partial credit to the 6-year graduation rate metric). When I was in school we had a lot of folks taking ~5 years to complete undergraduate requirements.

If true, then from an ROI standpoint you'd want to look at overall out-of-pocket cost to graduate (not just the four-year projections) and giving weight to 4-year graduation rates seems like a fair way to account for that.
08-05-2017 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Forbes Top Colleges: Rice is #22. - owl at the moon - 08-05-2017 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.