runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
RE: My impressions of the ULM campus
(07-07-2017 03:21 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:17 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:08 PM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 10:09 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 04:59 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Grambling University was sorely needed when it was established. It, like all other historically black colleges, was established because of racial segregation. Now, even though the primary reason for GSU's existence is no more, it is too politically incorrect to even speak of ever shutting it down.

Today, the two HBC's in Louisiana remain a drain on Louisiana taxpayers solely for political reasons. The vast majority of black high school students that meet the academic requirements of La Tech, ULM, UNO, or ULL, attend one of those schools over GSU or Southern. Though GSU and Southern are no longer needed, the citizens of Louisiana will be stuck paying the price for this political correctness for a long time to come. The same can be said about almost all HBC's.

The two public HBCU's in Alabama are both well positioned in the state. Alabama A&M has an endowment of $119milliom and sits on 880 acres, Alabama State's endowment is $86.5 mil. Except for UA-Huntsville for A&M and AU-Montgomery for State, neither university is relatively close to another public university, and neither UAH or AUM play football. If they could shake the HBCU designation, they would just become intrastate regional universities. For what it's worth, there are white students on both campus', I've seen them on their athletic teams.

Also, Alabama State recently built their new OCS, and it is exactly what I want at South!!!

Why would we want to "shake" the HBCU designation?

You will always be an HBCU by the definition as an historically black college or university. I was more referring to perception of being a school for black people instead of a school for all people. The Alabama university system is very well designed with location for all public schools and the region they each service.

In 2017 if a person believes that an HBCU is only for black people, that's a them problem. ASU right now is about 9% white, most PWIs don't have black student populations that high.

probably true but black folks only make up 11% of the national population. at uta they are over 14%
07-09-2017 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-03-2017, 04:15 PM
RE: My impressions - TaxusExpress - 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM
RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - runamuck - 07-09-2017 01:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.