Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is the AAC a 'Power Conference' at least in basketball now w/t addition of WSU?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Is the AAC a 'Power Conference' at least in basketball now w/t addition of WSU?
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: Is the AAC a 'Power Conference' at least in basketball now w/t addition of WSU?
(04-09-2017 12:01 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 11:54 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  "Power Conference" refers to money, so no.

But I think you mean "high major." I'm torn on this question. On one hand, I don't consider the AAC a high major, but I do consider the SEC one. However, I think that the AAC could very well be better than the SEC more years than not - or at least one of the SEC or PAC. As such, if competency was the only factor, then logically I should either consider the SEC a mid major, or I should consider the AAC a high major. Since I don't, either I'm illogical (which is possible), or there's another unknown, subconscious factor, like name recognition (which is possible).

Quote:
Quote:That's the terribly long-winded way of saying "no," but I don't have a great reason as to why not.

We share the same line of thinking on this, but I disagree on your opinion of the SEC. They have made some solid coaching hires the past few years and seem to be taking hoops seriously now.

Some interesting quotes. 04-cheers

The SEC gets credit for making solid coaching hires? I'd counter that the AAC is doing excellent in that department.

[Image: KrBohI.jpg]

Love the Wichita add for a lot of reasons that don't include basketball. They are an institutional, geographic, and athletic fit (extending beyond basketball). If we're going to talk basketball though, the fact that Wichita State is in every Top 10 list for next year, and Cincinnati and SMU are rounding out a lot of Top 25s, says a lot.

We can talk about metrics, brands, coaches, etc, but the bottom line is that the AAC has already proven its relevance. There's really not much that needs to be said beyond that.

Brand for brand, the conference stacks up favorably with the best conferences.

You can't talk about the great history of college basketball and exclude the programs in the AAC. There are too many that built this sport. Whether you prefer to count championships, final fours, etc.

Shockers MBB is a great compliment to the conference. Nevertheless, beyond MBB the Shockers just hired an accomplished WBB coach to build a program to one day challenge Geno's Huskies. It's an exciting time. Already, in its relatively short history, the AAC has lay claim to both the Men's and Women's National Champions in the same year.

Of course, beyond the hardwood, I love the add on a baseball level as well. The AAC is already one of the best (high major, power, whatever words to wish to use) baseball conferences in the land too, and the Shockers are a former national champion in that sport.

This is really about excellence in all sports. The records and accomplishments are already there.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 04:41 AM by BigEastHomer.)
04-09-2017 04:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the AAC a 'Power Conference' at least in basketball now w/t addition of WSU? - BigEastHomer - 04-09-2017 04:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.