Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho Asking State for Athletic Dept. Bailout
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: Idaho Asking State for Athletic Dept. Bailout
(02-15-2017 06:05 PM)goofus Wrote:  Interesting that everybody seems to remember BSU's incredible Fiesta bowl victory over Oklahoma in 2006 season, but can't remember BSU's more recent Fiesta bowl victories following the 2009 and 2014 seasons.

2014 win over a #2x ranked Arizona is uninteresting.

On paper, I agree that the 2009 team may in fact had a better season than the 2006 team. Both coached by the brilliant Chris Peterson, which we've all seen is doing amazing things at Washington. (on a side note, I hope very, very much for a similar tale of success at Minnesota with WMU's Fleck)

The 2009 victory was over a higher ranked team, TCU. However, at that time TCU was the champion of the Mountain West, not of the Big 12. Oklahoma, on the other hand, was the Big 12 champ in 2006. And of course, the series of plays at the end of that game to score the TD, and win it with the 2pt ... will never be forgotten. Then the RB proposing to his girlfriend cheerleader. Extremely memorable.

So I don't think you really need to try that hard to understand why.

(02-15-2017 06:39 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  Update -- Idaho motion tabled until April, because Idaho has no clear plan to reduce its deficit. Super job, guys.

So does that mean the official decision to move Idaho football down to FCS hasn't been officially made yet?? Any glimmer of hope??

(02-15-2017 07:56 PM)Bronco85 Wrote:  The NCAA had an alternative requirement of having actual attendance greater than 17,000 fans. BSU also pre-qualified on this standard prior to moving up. BSU was serious and had built significantly prior to moving up to assure they would be desirable to the BWC.

Fair enough. Thank you for the correction.

(02-15-2017 07:56 PM)Bronco85 Wrote:  UI did not make either requirement until they rented Martin Stadium from WSU. UI went back to the dome when the NCAA requirement was watered down to having a 15,000 tickes sold over a 2 year average as the qualifier for the top division (which any school can do). This was probably unfortunate in the long run because it was a powerful disincentive to UI from making any meaningful upgrade to their gameday facilities.

Great point.

Though getting back to the heart of what I was curious about ---- if the requirement had stayed 30k capacity, do you think Idaho would've actually built say a new 30k outdoor stadium?? I don't think the dome can be upgraded to anywhere near 30k capacity.

Or would they just have feathered a deal with Wash St to use Martin for Idaho home games?? While that seems very odd ... I doubt there is any other situation in the country as unique, with two P5 public flagship schools so close to each other.

(02-15-2017 07:56 PM)Bronco85 Wrote:  The Broncos would go on to finish ranked 11, 13 in 2008, 4,4 in 2009, 9,7 in 2010, 8, 6 in 2011, 18, 14 in 2012, and 16, 16 in 2014. (They also had top 25 finishes prior to 2006). They would win 2 more Fiesta Bowls after the OU win. No FBS school has won more football games this century than BSU at 186-35-0 .842 (Ohio State is second at 169-39-0 .813 - and no, BSU is not historically better than the OSU). Lots of teams hope desperately for this sort of "cooling".

Ah, just a second there. That's not really what I meant. I thought it was obvious that I was referring to just to the most recent period where Idaho has been trending up and Boise has been trending flat or down. Obviously that is 2015 and 2016 ... which you conveniently left off.

Idaho: up to 4-8 in 2015, and then breakout 2016 with 9-4 record and not just bowl game but bowl win

Boise: down to 9-4 in 2015, 10-3 in 2016 with a loss to Wyoming (I follow Craig Bohl, so I knew that) ... neither year winning the division ... yeah not terrible records, but it has been a while no CCG for Boise in back to back years! As well as not ranked even in the top 25 back to back years!
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 11:45 AM by MplsBison.)
02-21-2017 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Idaho Asking State for Athletic Dept. Bailout - MplsBison - 02-21-2017 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.