Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strategic Expansion Scenarios
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Strategic Expansion Scenarios
So I didn't get any replies on my last thread. I'll try again. Hopefully it will lead to decent discussion.

After looking at those different categories of consideration for expansion, I started to wonder about "strategic expansion." All expansion is obviously strategic in some ways (new markets, new brands, etc) but I want to focus on strategic versus other conferences.

So: Scenario: Both GORs are over and it looks like both the Big 12 and ACC are in trouble. Which one or two schools should each conference pick that might hinder or stop other conferences plans (while also benefiting conference A - example: Big 10 may want into southern markets, but taking FIU doesn't help much)

(Subnote: No knock on FIU. After my academics analysis it surprised me to see FIU listed as a Carnegie "Highest Research" school.)

Example: If the Big 12 decided it wanted to destroy or hurt the AAC it could take two of UConn/Cincy or Houston. While the AAC could backfill, they wouldn't be seen as quite as powerful.

Here are my thoughts:
SEC vs. ACC: While taking FSU/Clemson might hurt their on field football product, the SEC would have to go to Tobacco Road or take UVA to fire a deathblow to the conference. My pick (keep reading): Duke.

SEC vs. Big 10: While many of the conference targets overlap (markets in NC, VA, FL, Texas and Oklahoma), I say that getting Duke best fits the SEC goals, and also hinders the Big 10. While the SEC may be content with Virginia Tech and NC State, taking Duke gives them one of the "big two" in NC, improves the academic standing of the league, gives immediate help in basketball, and an improving football team. Duke isn't necessarily on the Big 10's list, which means they would be an easier grab than UNC or UVA right off the bat, but they could help pull in one of the others. If nothing else, the SEC could be content with Duke on its own.

SEC vs PAC 12: Taking either Texas or OK will limit what the PAC can do. They might still go after Kansas, but that doesn't really harm the SEC.

SEC vs. Big 12: Taking OK destabilizes the league.

Big 10 vs. SEC: Talk to Vandy or Mizzou, but if they are no like they should be, then grab V Tech, the school that most people think is the best fit for the SEC.
06-08-2016 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Strategic Expansion Scenarios - Soobahk40050 - 06-08-2016 09:16 AM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-09-2016, 01:47 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-09-2016, 01:52 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - XLance - 06-09-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Strategic Expansion Scenarios - vandiver49 - 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-10-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - JRsec - 06-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Strategic Expansion Scenarios - vandiver49 - 06-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Strategic Expansion Scenarios - vandiver49 - 06-13-2016, 07:04 PM
RE: Strategic Expansion Scenarios - XLance - 06-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Strategic Expansion Scenarios - vandiver49 - 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.