Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Many Terp Fans Want Back In ACC And Look At The Political Split!
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
RE: Many Terp Fans Want Back In ACC And Look At The Political Split!
(04-25-2016 01:50 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I have no inside knowledge, but I can read a table.

Syracuse and UMD have played each other in one (1) bowl (Cherry Bowl) and have met on the football field thirty six (36) times. Only one (1) of those games was in-conference. That means the school's played each other thirty four (34) times OOC in the regular season. Very clearly UMD has no trouble playing SU. They even played at SU the year after they left.

Furthermore, the Terps played the Orange 11x since the Carrier Dome opened, including almost every year of the 80's (i.e. when the field really did cause injuries). In fact, the two schools stopped playing extremely regularly in 1991, which is the year the SU joined the Big East in football. Either that's one heck of a coincidence, or SU pulled the plug, not UMD.

Given Syracuse is elite in both its other two big sports (basketball and lacrosse), I have a very hard time believing that anyone, UMD included, isn't itching to play SU in H&H series in those sports. Furthermore, given UMD's obvious commitment to winning on both the basketball court and the lax field, I find it hard to believe that they don't care more than most schools.

Finally, as per the DoE (FWIW), SU has one of the most profitable ADs in the ACC. In fact, it was brought into the conference to increase the media payout.

I guess that's the long way of saying "clearly SU's AD didn't drive UMD out of the conference. The Orange have a football team that UMD likes to play. The Orange have basketball and lacrosse teams that UMD wants to play. And finally, the Orange made the conference richer."

UMD might hate UNC. I don't know. UMD might miss Duke. I don't know. UMD may be run poorly enough to think that the CIC matters to an appreciable extent. I don't know. UMD may have left for other reasons. I don't know. However, I do know that blaming Syracuse is ludicrous.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/syr/md.shtml

(Excuse my typos. I'm using a phone.)
LP4 is right. This is really about the opinions of a group of Maryland fans who've felt ignored and slighted by Greensboro over the years. Don't take it so personally. Maryland didn't move to BIG to get away from Syracuse. As stated above, athletics is just a sideshow. The real money is in research and economic development.
04-26-2016 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Many Terp Fans Want Back In ACC And Look At The Political Split! - NJ2MDTerp - 04-26-2016 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.