Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hamrick disappointed with fans over App State scheduling...
Bookmark and Share
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
RE: Hamrick disappointed with fans over App State scheduling...
(07-09-2015 11:58 PM)ThunderingHerdFan Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 12:35 PM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 04:55 PM)ThunderingHerdFan Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 09:23 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 10:57 PM)ThunderingHerdFan Wrote:  He's been outstanding at Marshall in every facet possible sans the baseball situation, but that is out of his ultimate control. The land is being held hostage. Typical Huntington business school of thought "my business is worth x but Marshall has all kinds of money so I'll hold out for 2x that amount until I die."

It's absurd. There are two such places that are absolutely stunting Marshall's ability to grow even more from a space standpoint. And they aren't showing any signs of backing down. It's literally wait until the owner dies and see what happens from there. And that's sad. One of the land parcels has buildings with a grand total of six employees...they are security for the abandoned business. They own a large parking lot where their once thriving business filled with employees, to the point they had a special pedestrian red light. Now they hold onto it for dear life. Crazy.

But back to the main point, Hamrick has delivered on every promise here. The athletic department has been building at a rate we haven't seen here in the past.

He's also not afraid to hold his ground and do what's best for Marshall, in spite of popular opinion.

Glad he's worked out for you, seriously. He wasn't a good fit here for whatever reason.

Regarding your 1st point, can you blame the landowners? I sure can't. They've got family to think about. If I'm in that situation I hold out until the last possible minute so I can invest / pass down to my son.

Your second point was mentioned by another poster. No sense in me going back to that.

As to your first point, I think this is as fine an example as any when it comes to being the right fit. He alienated the ECU fanbase, for whatever reason, and you guys were not satisfied with his performance at your school.

He has come to Marshall and has shined. Perhaps it's because he's an MU grad, that we understand him and he understands us better (this thread subject notwithstanding). It could be because our previous AD was so bad. Or that none of our previous AD's in the past 20 years made any effort to grow the athletic department.

There's no doubt he alienated some folks with reseating. That was going to happen. The problem wasn't the reseating in so much that it hadn't been done before this season in the first 23 seasons in that stadium. Some people that had sat in the same seats since Sept. 7, 1991, lost their seat. I know the family that sat in front of me since I was 8 lost their seats. I watched their kids grow up (they're now in college) and I work now at the same place one of them did when I first met them. It's a small world. That hurt some fans. I wish the folks who had been season ticket holders in the same spot since 91 would have been protected, but that wasn't my decision and I know the athletic department was VERY careful and very conscientious with this decision. I know they inadvertently messed up one of the largest alumni chapter presidents seating arrangement that he had since 91. He was hurt when he lost his seats, but he went ahead and bought new tickets. Which likely uprooted someone else. It was a trickle effect.

Sorry for losing focus there. My point was, someone who doesn't thrive in one place can still thrive in another. It doesn't mean he's incompetent. Fit matters as much as resume does in many instances. I'm glad we have him. I wish he'd made you guys happier because...he's a Marshall guy, from West Virginia...I hope all our guys in positions of power do well no matter where they are.

But to simplify my point: it really is a case study for hiring the right guy in the right place.

You know, thats a bunch of crap about reseating. If they even gave the minimum to the big green, and had season tix since 91, then someone would have had to pay an arm and a leg to get those seats. Maybe they should have given more. Thats the whole point, there are people willing to help move the program forward and give significant amounts of money, then this orogram gives them rewards for that. I have no problem if a donor comes out and gives the school 20k to buy my seats, ill move a row back.... not like there is a bad seat in the house. Who cares.

I love Marshall, not my seats. We rent seats, we don't own them. Im glad that the reseatinf program was introduced, because those who deserve better seats got them.

It literally shuffled people around. I don't disagree with the idea behind it, but "they should have given more" is a very, very small-minded statement.

You don't alienate fans who pay good money to go to your games regularly. And people like you jumping on those fans is no way to help grow your fanbase. Season ticket sales stagnated last year when it was built as a big year.

Never, ever, tell someone how to spend their money. They will drop you in a heartbeat, and I don't blame them. I'm glad I don't sit anywhere near a superfan like you. I wouldn't want to hear you tell me how much more you deserve than a group of 8-10 people who bought tickets in a block since 1991, who were there for the first choose your seat day. Those folks couldn't even get blocked back together in a reasonable seat.

Truth is, I donate, and my family donates. If my seats had been gone, I would have been gone, too. If I'm not worthy of the seats I've had since the stadium opened, then the school wouldn't be worthy of my money.

Show loyalty to those who show long-time loyalty to you, and things go much smoother.

But I digress. When you screw up an alumni chapter president, one who has been the most influential in an entire region of the state, who has been active with events for years, that needed looked into.

All of that said, reseating should have started in 1995. But when you're 23 seasons in, you do get attached. Especially if you've bought tickets in the exact same seats for 23 years, and you've gotten to know the people around you, for nearly a quarter of a century.
You are being the small minded one. I am not jumping on other fans, i am jumping on people who attack plans like reseating that help propel our program forward, even if it means some of us smaller fish have to make a sacrifice. I am a super fan, absolutely, i live and breath marshall sports and i have a room dedicated to the herd with tons of memorabilia and collectables, I rarely ever miss any game, and i have been a fan since i was a little boy, and i give a very modest amount, but its what i can give, a few hundred a year, and you know what? I had an opportunity to get BETTER SEATS. So whats that say about those losing seats?

I would HAPPILY MOVE a few rows, or 10, if it meant my school got more much needed funds to help us compete. I have had these seats for about 10 years, and it's called be unselfish. You should try that term on for size. If you would bail on your team because you had to move a few seats back because something good happened for the program, then you aren't a fan at all, you are just a selfish a hole.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 01:18 AM by goherd24herdfans.)
07-13-2015 01:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hamrick disappointed with fans over App State scheduling... - goherd24herdfans - 07-13-2015 01:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.