Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tipping Point: I am on the 'add Wichita State' to balance NAVY train.. 12/12
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: Tipping Point: I am on the 'add Wichita State' to balance NAVY train.. 12/12
(04-03-2015 08:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 08:46 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 08:45 AM)mtmedlin Wrote:  Someone please answer me this. Why would ESPN do it? Before we have endless threads about expansion and the million teams that we could add which in someones convoluted mind means well make more money, I ask you this... WHY WOULD ESPN DO IT?

They already own the broadcasting rights to just about every team discussed for expansion. They are getting them for dirt cheap right now. So why would they agree to pay more to move any team into the AAC? It makes no sense? They wont do it because their nice. Those of us in the Big East can affirm that.

It may make all the sense in the world to us in order to make a better AAC but were not the one that pays the bills. So before we make theoretical posts about addition and all of that jazz, I simply want one person to tell me why ESPN would be willing to move teams and pay more for a product they already own?

Actually we do pay the bills, in part. Even if adding Wichita didn't boost the TV deal a single cent (which I seriously doubt) they'd add to the basketball strength, NCAA units, etc. They wouldn't get a full share of the TV anyway.

Right. They would cost each school about 50K. The way I look at is this---would you pay $50K to be in a better basketball league? That's effectively what you would be doing if you add them prior to renegotiation. I have no problem with that because I think 50K for a better basketball league makes sense. Some may not.

I'm pretty sure espn would go along with having more content in the aac and it wouldn't be dilutive to each member. If we have the same group in 2017, we will likely get a big pay jump anyway. We had the worse timing possible for contract negotiations before. Espn had to negatively hit us for their costs if our league imploded.
04-03-2015 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tipping Point: I am on the 'add Wichita State' to balance NAVY train.. 12/12 - KNIGHTTIME - 04-03-2015 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.