Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To those saying all bowls are meaningless...
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: To those saying all bowls are meaningless...
(01-01-2015 12:45 PM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  The problem I have with the "meaningless" argument is that over 2/3 of college football is "meaningless" if you use the definition of "crowning a champion" as the purpose of a game. If the only reason you play a game is to figure out if you can be champion, then every team that starts off 0-2 or 1-3 should just stop the season right there.

Football is fun to play and to watch. That's why you play the games. Winning is a fun part of games...so it's nice to win more than you lose. But that doesn't ruin the entire game when/if you lose. I get so sick of people trumpeting "bowl games are meaningless" because I want to ask them, "Why do you want LESS football to watch and potentially enjoy?" So Boston College and Penn State didn't crown a champion...but the first quarter and second half and overtime were quite fun to watch? Why do we need to whine and moan about it being "meaningless"? All of Penn State's November was "meaningless" but I still enjoyed watching my team play.

Sure attendance is down at some games, but prices are up and while the Orange Bowl doesn't have the sort of crowds it had decades ago, it doesn't have the sort of teams it had a couple decades ago when it hosted the Big 8 champion vs an at-large opponent that was either the ACC champ, one of the best eastern independents or the SEC runner-up.

Last night they had the loser of the ACC title game and the third or fourth best SEC team. Mississippi State average attendance was 17k below the SEC average and GT's about 2k under the ACC average.
01-01-2015 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: To those saying all bowls are meaningless... - arkstfan - 01-01-2015 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.