Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I Thought I'd Never See This
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
I Thought I'd Never See This
Folks, I was shocked last night to see the number of empties in the Orange Bowl. The upper deck was somewhat empty and thousands in the lower bowl were as well. Now I don't know how many empties there were or what the official "sold attendence" will be, but a persons eyes don't lie. I can remember when it was almost impossible to find a decent ticket to that game when OU or Nebraska were playing.

So what is the problem? Attendence is down at many of the traditional so called P5 leagues. They won't admit that, but it is. The TU/OU game wasn't even sold out here for crying out loud. Well, IMO its not just the amount of TV, but the price of tickets and the surcharges people are having to pay.

And then its the long trip distances. A family of four who buy season tickets and don't live near the stadium spend an entire day on the road and pay hundreds of dollars at least 6 times a year. Then a possible playoff game and bowl game - possibly in the rain or snow - like at Memphis this year. It can turn into a miserable experience.

I think this is why we at TU have an advantage over say an OSU - at least in the long run if we make the experience worth the trouble. Its a much shorter trip for most of us in the Tulsa area. If we can remedy the parking issue and keep the ticket prices reasonable, a lot of casual TU fans can turn and become just casual OSU fans.

Now OU is a slightly different story. From midtown Tulsa using the turnpike and then to Norman is about a 135 mile trip - one way - to attend a game. Then a nice long walk. A couple of overpriced meals and long walk. If OU's team is as bad as they were this year, a lot of empties will result.

All TU has to do is win, provide decent parking, have a nicer stadium with amentities and big league atmosphere. TU is the only FB playing "metropolitan" school within hundreds of miles that has a somewhat captive population of football lovers.

Alumni be dXXned. How many alumni does the Dallas Cowboys or the Denver Broncos or KC Chiefs have? TU actually HAS an alumni, they don't. No, TU can be what it wants to be. But we have to make changes. A good product that people want to see "live" - and a fanbase that can see the game for a reasonable price. Thats all thats required imo.

Its really very simple.
01-01-2015 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I Thought I'd Never See This - rabidTU2 - 01-01-2015 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.