Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good article about TV ratings
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
Good article about TV ratings
I see a lot of fans plucking TV ratings out of a hat and making extrapolations and assumptions about them. I've always said that TV ratings in a vacuum are meaningless, if you don't control for all the variables that influence ratings- network, window, competition for viewership, etc. Essentially ratings in a vacuum aren't apples to apples comparisons where you can make a judgement about the TV attractiveness of a team or a conference.

I actually still think the same (not making a judgement about TV draws) applies to this article, but it does do a good job at least trying to make a little more of an apples to apples comparison. Some of the things it does do that I like:

1. Recognize that not all games are rated. Conference network games do not get rated.
2. Clarify that rating and audience are two different things. The rating on a Saturday is not the same as the rating on a Friday night, since the audiences are different.
3. Recognize that not all channels are equal. I hadn't seen a good summary of the network ratings like this:
[Image: nm9.5.jpg]
4. Recognize that more games for some leagues are rated than others. For example, the KU/ISU game is on FS1 and gets rated, while the Indiana- Purdue game is on the Big 10 network and not rated. 75% of the Big 12 games are rated, much higher than the other conferences:
[Image: nm9.4.jpg]

As I said, I still think there are other variables that could be controlled for. If you really wanted to make conclusions about the TV attractiveness of a certain team or conference relative to another team or conference, you'd want to control as many variables as possible- network, TV window, day of the week, relative rankings of the teams playing, etc.

Still, this does a good job of the aggregate data and a good read.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 09:46 AM by Frog in the Kitchen Sink.)
12-17-2014 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Good article about TV ratings - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 12-17-2014 09:43 AM
RE: Good article about TV ratings - Wedge - 12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
RE: Good article about TV ratings - goofus - 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
RE: Good article about TV ratings - YA! - 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Good article about TV ratings - bullet - 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.